Grundig Satellit 800 volume issue

mountainrider

My Grundig 800 had been stored in its original box in the basement for about ten years. I got it out and turned it on and it works fine except the volume will not decrease enough; at the stop of the volume knob the volume is still fairly loud. It's actually quite annoying not being able to turn the volume down.

Has anyone experienced this issue or have suggestions on how I can resolve it or get it repaired?
Thank you.

Dirk_SDR

There are many possibilities.
What I would check/do first:
1. Clean the loudness poti from dust by blowing compressed air into its case.
2. Is there a DC current on the poti? If yes: the Elko in front of (or behind) the poti might be defect, so replace it/them.
3. Other Elkos might be bad after such a long time, so replace them starting with the current supply section, followed by the Elkos in the audio amplifier section.
4. Measure all DC voltages and compare them with the schematic/service manual.

mountainrider

Oh well, thanks for the reply. Was more leaning towards the "get it repaired" aspect. Don't know what an Elko is, not a ham not a radio tech.. I guess it's dumpster-bound along with an old Grundig YB400. Got other radios and it's probably my last solar cycle.

Boombox

Elko's probably means electrolytic capacitors.

One suggestion is if you use headphones, get a higher resistance pair. Cheaper headphones often are quieter than the more expensive ones - they rate higher than 4 or 8 ohms. My main set isn't as loud as the really good Radio Shack set I had that finally became unrepairable in 2015 or 2016. I got these at the dollar store. They sound OK. But they also are quieter.

Just a thought.

Also, try exercising the volume control. The wiper inside the potentiometer may 'clean' whatever oxidation that may be causing the problem.

Also, tuner cleaner shot down the side of the shaft might clear it up. Pull the knob, align the cleaner's straw next to the shaft and give it a squirt. Exercise it, and maybe squirt again. I do this periodically with my GE Superadio when the control gets a little noisy. There should be enough clearance alongside the shaft to let some of the cleaner into the volume control mechanism. A paper towel can be used to keep spray from getting all over the radio.

Last edited: