Grundig YB400PE no audio at first

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc2kth

So I pulled my YB400PE out of the closet after not using it for a few years. It was stored in the original packaging without batteries. Installed new batteries, turned it on and it looked like it was working fine except no audio either from the speaker or headphone jack regardless of band. The S meter showed a signal. So I pulled it apart to see if something had managed to crawl in it or possibly if some caps looked bad. Nothing - looked brand new. So I put it all mostly back together and tested the jack and speaker again on AM and FM broadcast and still no audio. I leave it on tuned to a strong AM signal while I poke around online looking at a manual for the rig. Thinking it may do something like this I smartly left the volume at about 1/3. After probably 10 minutes it just started playing. I shut it off, finished putting it back together, batteries back in and I've been listening to AM and FM broadcast and now Radio Havana Cuba on 6060 for probably a half hour.

Anyone have a theory as to what happened? I've not used this radio for extended periods in the past but don't recall it doing this. I thought perhaps the internal battery might need to be at some minimum charge level before it would begin working. I have nothing to back that up other than what I just experienced but it sounds plausible I suppose.

kc2kth

Just an update, still confused a bit but the radio is working just fine. I looked over what docs I could find online and I don't see an internal battery in the radio, nor did I see one when I was in the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.