Grundig YB400PE

Status
Not open for further replies.

TD

Premium Subscriber
Hello All
I have the above radio this radio worked great the hole time I've had it. So about 2 years ago i put it away because I wasn't using it I took batteries out before putting it away. Last week I took this radio out to use it I put new batteries in it turned it on to a FM station in area but no sound and no signal on meter. So I am wondering if anybody would know what is causing this.
Thanks Again
All help is appreciated
TD

Boombox

Putting in the batteries might have 'zapped' the microprocessor. Take them out for a half hour or something like that, put them back in again. See if it works. I had something like this happen to one of my radios when it had been unused for a long time, with no batteries in it.

Sometimes microprocessors glitch.

You don't mention whether any of the other bands work (MW, SW, LW, etc.), so I'm assuming the radio had no sound on any band....

TD

Premium Subscriber
Putting in the batteries might have 'zapped' the microprocessor. Take them out for a half hour or something like that, put them back in again. See if it works. I had something like this happen to one of my radios when it had been unused for a long time, with no batteries in it.

Sometimes microprocessors glitch.

You don't mention whether any of the other bands work (MW, SW, LW, etc.), so I'm assuming the radio had no sound on any band....

Thanks for replying
There isn't any sound on any of the bands.
Thanks

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
I think there might be a "reset" button on the 400. Check the sides of the radio. If there is , press it in with a pen and see if that makes a difference.

TD

Premium Subscriber
I think there might be a "reset" button on the 400. Check the sides of the radio. If there is , press it in with a pen and see if that makes a difference.
There is a reset button I've reset it but still comes back to no audio. Everythiing functions like it should just no sound.
Thank for replying
TD

Boombox

Exercise the earphone jack with an earphone plug. Could be the switch contact got oxidized.

At least it's worth a try.

TD

Premium Subscriber
Exercise the earphone jack with an earphone plug. Could be the switch contact got oxidized.

At least it's worth a try.

I've tried that already still no sound.
9d5a1ea0ab6ff0e770ed153063ded5ac.jpg
here is a pic you can see there is no signal on meter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boombox

The only other 'simple' issues I can see (from looking at the schematic online) are the DX/local switch and the EXT antenna switch. If they became oxidized, it could possibly cause a problem. I'm guessing you already tried exercising them. If you haven't, it would be worth a try. My DX-440 had an issue on SW and AM because of the EXT antenna switch.

SCPD

QRT
Is the audio COMPLETELY gone, i.e. you can turn the volume all the way up and no static/noise?

If you can at least hear static it's possible the front-end IC could be dead. Some of these radios are particularly sensitive to static electric charges, sometimes all it takes is touching the whip antenna after walking across the carpet on a nice dry winter's day and poof, that's all she wrote. Some of the G-series rigs (e.g. the G3 IIRC) are notorious for that.

Not saying that that's likely the cause but it's something to consider.

Last edited:

TD

Premium Subscriber
Is the audio COMPLETELY gone, i.e. you can turn the volume all the way up and no static/noise?

If you can at least hear static it's possible the front-end IC could be dead. Some of these radios are particularly sensitive to static electric charges, sometimes all it takes is touching the whip antenna after walking across the carpet on a nice dry winter's day and poof, that's all she wrote. Some of the G-series rigs (e.g. the G3 IIRC) are notorious for that.

Not saying that that's likely the cause but it's something to consider.

Thanks for the reply
There is not a sound coming out of it. This I weird too I just plugged the power cord into it. It doesn't even show it's plugged in. I also checked the power cord it shows 9 volts.
Thanks
Terry

SCPD

QRT
If you tried earphones, did you listen very closely and hear any faint white noise? The YB400PE's amplifier is somewhat noisy and it's easy to detect listening on earphones in a quiet room.

So if there's no sound at all through the speaker or the earphones it sounds like the amplifier's dead. Could be anything from a broken volume control pot (oxidized/corroded traces?) to fried integrated circuit - worst case scenario, if the batteries you said you installed in the OP were factory-new the sudden inrush might have nuked it. Probably not, but it's possible.

But that's the audio output section, doesn't explain why it's not detecting an RF signal.

ab3a

Audio pots can be old or noisy. If they disconnect, you wouldn't get much audio. Try working the volume control back and for a bit and see if you can hear any crackling. If you do, then the problem is the volume control. If you hear nothing, look at the headphone jack. It is supposed to disconnect the speaker so that it can feed through the headphones. But if your headphone jack is dirty you might not get much in either the speaker or the headphones. Try working a plug in and out of that jack a few times, maybe even spray some contact cleaner on that plug.

Good Luck!

TD

Premium Subscriber
Thank for the reply
I've tried all that there is zero noise from speaker or head phone jack. The more I look at this radio is weird I think something is shorting out inside. Because there no direct entry in the 80&90 meter bands. And also I put new batteries in this morning and they are dead now and the radio hasn't been on today.

ab3a

I know this is stupid, but I have to ask: Are you certain the batteries are inserted with the correct polarity? Check it, Double Check it and Triple check it.

It's an easy mistake to make. I know. I have owned a YB-400 for more than 20 years and I've made that mistake myself.

TD

Premium Subscriber
I know this is stupid, but I have to ask: Are you certain the batteries are inserted with the correct polarity? Check it, Double Check it and Triple check it.

It's an easy mistake to make. I know. I have owned a YB-400 for more than 20 years and I've made that mistake myself.

Thank for the reply
Not a stupid question, I already check the batteries over and over they are in the right way. If they were in wrong it won't turn on.

majoco

Stirrer
And also I put new batteries in this morning and they are dead now and the radio hasn't been on today.
Now that's scary. Possibly and electrolytic capacitor across the batteries has shorted or leaked. Can you get the back off and have a look for a round metal topped thing, there will be more than one, and find one that has bulged or leaked brown stuff over the board?

Boombox

^^^^^^^ What he said. And look for anything awry near the battery terminal and the FM / whip antenna input, i.e. rust, bad looking solder connection, etc.

TD

Premium Subscriber
Yes I will do all of above today to check it out. Will come back with status
Thank to all for the replies

Status
Not open for further replies.