GSP 154.905 system

TheLeaper

WB2HKK
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know where to find the history of the original 154.905 system. I knew Bob Pederson, who was involves in it's design and construction. He once showed me a small magazine called ' FM Radio ' I think, where he was on the cover and it had an article on the system. I can't find anything online.

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know where to find the history of the original 154.905 system. I knew Bob Pederson, who was involves in it's design and construction. He once showed me a small magazine called ' FM Radio ' I think, where he was on the cover and it had an article on the system. I can't find anything online.
The old GSP was a dual simulcast on 154.905 and I think 155.505 (not 100% sure on that). So it was a voted system and the 2 frequencies were inter stitched up and down the GSP from Oradell down to Port Republic (maybe one more down south). So it was the same frequency on the uplink but different downlinks depending on where you were. I knew Bob for years before his passing (worked with him on OEM, plus his 2m repeater, etc). Used to enjoy our discussions and playing with his 2 bullmastiff's.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Sounds like the same thing the NYS Thruway did back in the 70s and is still in use today. 453.425 and 453.525 alternating along the entire system, with a common voted 458.425 input.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
I also knew Bob too. Actually Bob was instrumental in me getting involved in both PS two way radio and ham radio. Also quitting smoking. Great guy RIP. Fuzzy memory says early 80’s.

Tech792

154.905 was one of the first signals I received as a kid in the mid 70's in northern NJ with my portable tunable receiver. It was one of the strongest signals on the dial, next to FDNY Brooklyn 154.37. I believe 155.505 was added later on in the early to mid 80's.

jerseymilair

WOW showing my age here. Your correct on that strong signal from the early portable tunable days. I had two of those radios. One from from Lafayette radio I believe, strictly low band with NO squelch control. The other was a large base radio, I forget the brand with low on the left and high on the right and 2 crystal positions for each band along with a screw in antenna on both sides with an so-239 socket. As far as the GSP, 154.950 was channel 2. Good thread here.

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
Sounds like the same thing the NYS Thruway did back in the 70s and is still in use today. 453.425 and 453.525 alternating along the entire system, with a common voted 458.425 input.
Pretty much. I used to listen to them when I would head up to Rome NY, all the way up 87 to 90 and beyond. But wasnt full statewide, they alternated I think up to Kingston and they the next alternate started a new district and that link was not tied to the southern system.

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
I also knew Bob too. Actually Bob was instrumental in me getting involved in both PS two way radio and ham radio. Also quitting smoking. Great guy RIP. Fuzzy memory says early 80’s.
His pride and joy was "Winnebago 1". Now that was a command post on wheels. Thats where we hung out when we were not at the RIO diner.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Pretty much. I used to listen to them when I would head up to Rome NY, all the way up 87 to 90 and beyond. But wasnt full statewide, they alternated I think up to Kingston and they the next alternate started a new district and that link was not tied to the southern system.
Correct, each zone is separate, and they use two PL's that alternate between the four zones. It's still like that today, but I don't want anyone getting pissy that I'm hijacking a NJ thread to talk about the Thruway, so more details in the RRDB for anyone interested.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
[
Correct, each zone is separate, and they use two PL's that alternate between the four zones. It's still like that today, but I don't want anyone getting pissy that I'm hijacking a NJ thread to talk about the Thruway, so more details in the RRDB for anyone interested.
Now why in the world would anybody do that? Great way to start the day. 🤣.
By alternating PL’s this would suggest using 2 receivers at each site. When the secondary receiver drops COR let’s all the “links drop”. Cheap and effective.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
By alternating PL’s this would suggest using 2 receivers at each site. When the secondary receiver drops COR let’s all the “links drop”. Cheap and effective.
The PL tones alternate by zone, not by site. New York 97.4, Albany 123.0, Syracuse 97.4, Buffalo 123.0. One receiver per site, all receivers in each zone are voted within that zone only.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
His pride and joy was "Winnebago 1". Now that was a command post on wheels. Thats where we hung out when we were not at the RIO diner.
Ed, Yes, I was in Bob’s CP. Loaded with Syntor’s in every possible place. Recall eprom suitcase programmers and chip erasers. Plenty of GSP radios in there too as Woodbridge has plenty of GSP. Way back.