GSP 700 MHz Pac-Rat

Status
Not open for further replies.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
While down at the Atlanta Motor Speedway, I had no problem picking up the 765.4375 PAC-RAT repeater frequency, but I did notice on both my 996T & 396XT the LNK next to it. The repeated channel did not sound like GSP either on the VHF or ATL TRS system, you heard squelch tails on each transmission (both base & mobile). Curious if 1) why it shows up LNK and 2) who was it repeating?

radiofan1

While down at the Atlanta Motor Speedway, I had no problem picking up the 765.4375 PAC-RAT repeater frequency, but I did notice on both my 996T & 396XT the LNK next to it. The repeated channel did not sound like GSP either on the VHF or ATL TRS system, you heard squelch tails on each transmission (both base & mobile). Curious if 1) why it shows up LNK and 2) who was it repeating?

I heard from a reputable source that it is costing $14,000 each to install the 700/800 rigs in the GSP cars. Last I heard, Georgia was so broke they're talking pay cuts for teachers. Hard to believe they need all this right now.

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
The repeater you heard was a GEMA van that is equipped with several cross band repeaters. Its used during special events and disasters so agencies with various radios can all talk to each other.
At all UGA home games you have UGA, Athens-Clarke PD Clarke CO Sheriff on an 800 system and GSP, Gwinnett Sheriff, and several other agencies using VHF or conventional 800 radios. This van allows all to be on one channel so to speak.
This is probably what you heard.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Yeah, I noticed that, too! And all he did was the flyby and then left! :(

Where were you sitting? I was in the pits before the race and then about 100' to the left of the start/finish line sitting on row 7!

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
Hmmmm, makes me wonder then as it was all in the clear and Henry County is ProVoice EDACS!

Glad you mentioned that. Henry County would have to supply a link into their radio system to the van operator who would hook them into whatever repeater the other agencies were using. I once worked an operation where my agency was using a Motorola digital encrypted talk group but another agency had UHF analog encrypted radios. Our communication center was able to set up a UHF repeater that tied into our TRS so everyone could talk to each other.
Anything is possible if people are willing to work with each other, but the GEMA van is a great asset at big events.

Firebuff880

NOPE !! None of the three GEMA units were at track.. An the GEMA units do not do the UGA games either. ..............................................................................

The repeater you heard was a GEMA van that is equipped with several cross band repeaters. Its used during special events and disasters so agencies with various radios can all talk to each other.
At all UGA home games you have UGA, Athens-Clarke PD Clarke CO Sheriff on an 800 system and GSP, Gwinnett Sheriff, and several other agencies using VHF or conventional 800 radios. This van allows all to be on one channel so to speak.
This is probably what you heard.

CapStar362

Yeah, I noticed that, too! And all he did was the flyby and then left! :(

Where were you sitting? I was in the pits before the race and then about 100' to the left of the start/finish line sitting on row 7!

i mean that had to be one of the most pitiful flybys in american history, where were the Afterburners? the noise? the thunder of JP5? all i heard was some whiny mid70's turbofans

oh yes,

Elliot Stands, Turn 3, row 6, seat 43

Last edited:

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
NOPE !! None of the three GEMA units were at track.. An the GEMA units do not do the UGA games either. ..............................................................................

Its been 2 years since Ive been to a UGA game, but for several years ive seen the GEMA van parked right in front of the UGA police building on Oconee St. Unless UGA or ACC has their own mutual aid repeater capable of doing what the GEMA van did then they must be parked elsewhere.

I know Gwinnett and Fulton have the capability of taking any surrounding county talk group or VHF frequency and linking it with their own system. I can recall Gwinnett patching Fire Tac 6 to a Fulton Fire tac as well as the state VHF fire mutual aid frequency during a large fire in north Fulton a few years ago where Gwinnett's hazmat was requested. I listened to the Gwinnett fire tac and could hear all the fulton units and then switched to the fulton tac and could hear the gwinnett units all patched together.

N8IAA

Its been 2 years since Ive been to a UGA game, but for several years ive seen the GEMA van parked right in front of the UGA police building on Oconee St. Unless UGA or ACC has their own mutual aid repeater capable of doing what the GEMA van did then they must be parked elsewhere.

I know Gwinnett and Fulton have the capability of taking any surrounding county talk group or VHF frequency and linking it with their own system. I can recall Gwinnett patching Fire Tac 6 to a Fulton Fire tac as well as the state VHF fire mutual aid frequency during a large fire in north Fulton a few years ago where Gwinnett's hazmat was requested. I listened to the Gwinnett fire tac and could hear all the fulton units and then switched to the fulton tac and could hear the gwinnett units all patched together.

All pre-digital. One of the main reasons Gwinnett FD is not encrypted is because of interop with Forsyth and De Kalb. I am sure they have a non-digital for Fulton. Never heard them on mutual aid with them though. I have with Forsyth and De Kalb. Let's not forget Hall FD is not encrypted anymore. Same reason.
Larry

Firebuff880

No it's one of two VANs that belomng to the Area 1 All Hazards Council. It does have an ACU in it and it is deployed to support events like the UGA GAmes. It was partially funded through GEMA so it most likely has a GEMA seal on. But it's been awhile so I don't honestly remember which seals are on it, but it's not a "GEMA" vehicle.

We have lost a lot of the console links over the years with that feature motly supported on a tactical basis these days by either fixed installations with Interop Gateways or Mobile Communications/Command Vehicles like the VAN.

SCPD

QRT
i mean that had to be one of the most pitiful flybys in american history, where were the Afterburners? the noise? the thunder of JP5? all i heard was some whiny mid70's turbofans

oh yes,

Elliot Stands, Turn 3, row 6, seat 43

Full mil-power is prohibited in metro areas in the United States. You hit full mil-power, fire up the afterburners, etc, you're going to see shattered windows all over.

Of course there are exceptions to this rule, but for a basic fly-over, you won't be seeing full mil-power.

CapStar362

Full mil-power is prohibited in metro areas in the United States. You hit full mil-power, fire up the afterburners, etc, you're going to see shattered windows all over.

Of course there are exceptions to this rule, but for a basic fly-over, you won't be seeing full mil-power.

thats if you break the sound barrier, not full AB. besides, the B52 StratoFortress AKA "BUFF" doesnt even have AB.

ive been to my share of airshows and races where they go full stage 5 burners. if equipped with multistage burners that is.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Watch the MythBusters episode where they had the Blue Angels fly at about 150 off the deck at full afterburner and Mach 1+ and still didn't break the windows - and that was with 2 F/A-18's!

Yeah, the flyby on Saturday was better with only 2 F/A-18's from VFA-105.

CapStar362

yeah i dont think Dak knew what he was talking about, ive been to soo many shows where they are at full burner and damn near Sonic. and nothing happens.

best memory i have:

1999 Great Georgia Airshow (Wings Over Dixie) B-1B Lancer makes a full burner pass overhead at 200 feet @ .98 Mach and does a barrel roll on the exit

ive been to Red Flag Ops where they do hit Sonic speeds, and they dont give a fat rats bottom about full burners or sonic booms because they are at the ranges where they can do that stuff. ive got a full family of MIL Personnel including me as USMC, most of my family is USMC, but a couple USAF and 1 USArmy

Last edited:

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
When I grew up, I lived in Jax, and we were in the flight path from NAS Jax, and occasionally they would take off from there in full burn and our house would shake from the boom as they passed over. But then again, that was in the early 60's!

As anyone who has every hung around a military field, the jets are always full afterburner when they take off!

Status
Not open for further replies.