GSP Repeaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

will51792

Premium Subscriber
Ok, so I'm guessing that MCCD is just following suite with GSP on the repeater issue? The only MCCD channel I have on my radio is the one from the Atlanta system. Do the other MCCD units just use the closest GSP repeater to communicate with their dispatch or is it the same dispatch as GSP?

I know, I am asking a lot of questions........
I have a friend that's a MCCD and he uses the same setup and the GSP. But most of the time its goes straight to the Patrol Post.

will51792

Premium Subscriber
Ok, so I'm guessing that MCCD is just following suite with GSP on the repeater issue? The only MCCD channel I have on my radio is the one from the Atlanta system. Do the other MCCD units just use the closest GSP repeater to communicate with their dispatch or is it the same dispatch as GSP?

I know, I am asking a lot of questions........

twotoejoe

The Georgia State Patrol page on RR at Georgia - GA Department of Public Safety Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference reads as though each post has 1 or 2 repeaters that are essentially dedicated to those Posts. That may be most often how it ends up, but that's not exclusively how I hear it. Rather, it seems to me that GSP has repeaters all over the state that cover various areas, and units in a particular area use the repeater that covers that area (or covers it best) regardless of post. This often ends up being all units in a post on a particular repeater, but not always. It also seems to mean that units in certain areas use a high-altitude repeater quite a ways a way (in a different post's territory) just because it covers their area well and nothing else does.

By way of example, I've wondered for quite some time what repeater posts 6 and 7 use in the Highway 356 area around Baldwin, and the Helen area, respectively. These areas are not well served by the repeaters that are listed for posts 6 and 7 in the RRDB. Today on a road trip up to northeast Georgia for a hike, I stumbled on GSP units working traffic enforcement in the Hwy 356 / Duncan Bridge Road area on 154.9125 NAC 640. I looked this up, and it shows as "Post 27 Hiawassee". Of course, Post 27 is Blue Ridge, and "Hiawassee" just happens to be the city location of that particular repeater's FCC license. The reality is that repeater is on top of Brasstown Bald, which is quite a ways away but covers that Highway 356 area really well.

All this to say, it seems to me it would make more sense to list the GSP repeater frequencies by the location of the repeater, rather than just by the Post number and area a post covers. It seems like various units use any particular repeater that covers the area they are working in, regardless of whether that repeater is physically located in or around their post territory.

Has anyone seen other examples of this, or disagree?

Thanks,
Dan

You mean highway 365, not 356. I live north of Baldwin. Habersham County is covered by the Toccoa repeater. When you get 10 miles or so south of Baldwin you run into Hall Co. which is covered by the Gainesville repeater. Sometimes I hear the Gainesville post call their units on 'Toccoa Repeater' when the unit is near the Habersham Co. line on 365. Helen, (White Co.) is covered by the Gainesville repeater. I can't pick up the Gainesville repeater here at my house. Sometimes I do pick up the Brasstown repeater for units in the Towns, Rabun Co. area. That is out of the Blue Ridge post.

Hopefully I can get an outdoor antenna up soon to be able to pick up the other close repeaters.

DanRollman

Database Admin
You mean highway 365, not 356. I live north of Baldwin. Habersham County is covered by the Toccoa repeater. When you get 10 miles or so south of Baldwin you run into Hall Co. which is covered by the Gainesville repeater. Sometimes I hear the Gainesville post call their units on 'Toccoa Repeater' when the unit is near the Habersham Co. line on 365. Helen, (White Co.) is covered by the Gainesville repeater. I can't pick up the Gainesville repeater here at my house. Sometimes I do pick up the Brasstown repeater for units in the Towns, Rabun Co. area. That is out of the Blue Ridge post.

Hopefully I can get an outdoor antenna up soon to be able to pick up the other close repeaters.

Yes, I meant 365. I spent a ton of time in the area and along that highway traveling back and forth between Atlanta and my mountain house in Sautee, and I thought the coverage was just as you described it. But more recently I've been hearing troopers working that area operating off the Brasstown Bald repeater, so give that a try. That seems to be what they are using in some of the areas where Gainesville and Toccoa repeaters do not cover well. As you may know, the Gainesville repeater cannot be reached from downtown Helen, so they may also be using Brasstown for that area, but I'm not sure.

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
The thing to do when it comes to state law enforcement in Georgia is to program all the DPS and DNR repeaters in your area into a scan list that way you don’t miss anything. There is no real organized way of associating repeaters to any post or area. Troopers and DNR agents know what repeaters to use in the area that they are in. It’s integrated in their on the job field training. Some repeaters have remote receivers and troopers still have mobile repeaters that rebroadcast their portable when they are out of the vehicle. The state law enforcement radio system here in Georgia is designed for mobile radios more than it is for portables. The repeaters are designed to cover a large area rather than having multiple repeaters covering smaller areas. That is why it’s crucial to monitor all the repeaters you’re with in range of so you don’t miss any traffic. You need to monitor all the repeaters for DPS, DNR, GBI, and even the 154.905/154.935 base / mobile backup In your area because you never know where they will pop up. After awhile you’ll learn what they use in your area. Here in South Georgia around Moultrie they use the Mitchell 12 repeater that’s located in Mitchell County which is a county over from here but they also use the DNR repeater that is located at the county jail in Moultrie. There really isn’t any rhyme or reason for some of this. It’s just the way it is and it works. The dispatchers listen to all the state law enforcement repeaters in their region.

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
I am 18 miles from Cusseta tower and in the morning I hear LaGrange- Americus- Cuthbert And Thomasville troopers off of this tower.

What you are hearing is skip signal in the morning. The Cusseta Repeater and the Mitchell Repeater are on the same frequency. So in the Morning when the VHF band is open you will hear the traffic from other repeaters that are on the same frequency that are far away. Troopers from the Thomasville Post aren't using the Cusseta repeater, is too far away. Repeaters in the same region / troop can be linked together by the communication centers but that is rarely done, but it can be done.

TRAYSCAN

Premium Subscriber
I was traveling on US Hwy 1 near Wrens and I overheard the Ga State Patrol (Swainsboro Post) transmitting on 151.2050 which is assigned to the GBI. I noticed that 151.2050 doesn’t have a NAC Code in the RRDatabase and it is assigned to the GBI.
My question is: should I get the NAC Code and submit it to the RRDatabase for the Ga State Patrol Swainsboro Post?

AerialEars

As Dawson said, you hear everybody on everything. From what I've heard, MCCD officers seem to have a four-digit badge number where GSP and DNR seem to have three-digit numbers. Usually, DNR prefixes their ID with the letters "DNR" so it's "DNR 123..." GSP and MCCD just use their badge number.

Status
Not open for further replies.