GSP Repeaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanRollman

Database Admin
The Georgia State Patrol page on RR at Georgia - GA Department of Public Safety Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference reads as though each post has 1 or 2 repeaters that are essentially dedicated to those Posts. That may be most often how it ends up, but that's not exclusively how I hear it. Rather, it seems to me that GSP has repeaters all over the state that cover various areas, and units in a particular area use the repeater that covers that area (or covers it best) regardless of post. This often ends up being all units in a post on a particular repeater, but not always. It also seems to mean that units in certain areas use a high-altitude repeater quite a ways a way (in a different post's territory) just because it covers their area well and nothing else does.

By way of example, I've wondered for quite some time what repeater posts 6 and 7 use in the Highway 356 area around Baldwin, and the Helen area, respectively. These areas are not well served by the repeaters that are listed for posts 6 and 7 in the RRDB. Today on a road trip up to northeast Georgia for a hike, I stumbled on GSP units working traffic enforcement in the Hwy 356 / Duncan Bridge Road area on 154.9125 NAC 640. I looked this up, and it shows as "Post 27 Hiawassee". Of course, Post 27 is Blue Ridge, and "Hiawassee" just happens to be the city location of that particular repeater's FCC license. The reality is that repeater is on top of Brasstown Bald, which is quite a ways away but covers that Highway 356 area really well.

All this to say, it seems to me it would make more sense to list the GSP repeater frequencies by the location of the repeater, rather than just by the Post number and area a post covers. It seems like various units use any particular repeater that covers the area they are working in, regardless of whether that repeater is physically located in or around their post territory.

Has anyone seen other examples of this, or disagree?

Thanks,
Dan

SkiBob

Premium Subscriber
A good example of this is going on right now. Cedartown and Polk County are chasing a vehicle that has struck 3 law enforcement vehicles. GSP is getting involved. The same dispatcher and trooper are on 3 repeaters simulcasting at the the same time. DNR 151.475, Canton/Cartersville 155.0625 and Rome/Paulding on 154.7325.

I found it interesting that the trooper would address the same dispatcher as "Cartersville" then "Paulding", "then Rome. He didn't go that far. I can't imagine he changed repeaters that often.

I don't know how you sort this all out in a database. I guess you just put them all in the scanner and hope you don't miss anything.

In case you were wondering, the suspect crashed and has been arrested.

DanRollman

Database Admin
I don't know how you sort this all out in a database. I guess you just put them all in the scanner and hope you don't miss anything.

I think that's right. But more importantly, the database probably ought to be listing GSP repeaters by the location of the repeater rather than a description that suggests the repeater belongs to a particular post. That is, 154.9125 NAC 640 ought not be listed as the "GSP Post 27 Hiawassee" repeater. Rather, it's the "GSP Brasstown Bald Repeater" which happens to be used frequently by posts 27, 6, and 7 depending on the area of their respective post territories they're in. Of course, Post 7 units also use the 155.6175 repeater on Black Rock Mountain, and Post 7 units also use the 159.4125 repeater on Curahee Mountain (which Post 52 units also use when on the northern end of their territory too!). All the more reason why we're just talking about a whole bunch of repeaters used by GSP units based on what repeater serves a particular area well, regardless of post, rather than repeaters serving the whole of a particular post territory (and only that post's territory).

shajoe44

In reference to your GSP repeater discussion, I am getting ready to travel from Augusta to Tybee Island for a few days. Which repeaters do I need to program in order to cover my route. Thanks

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I believe the repeaters are simply named for the municipality closest to them. A good example that's close to me is the one in Cusseta. There is no GSP post but there is a repeater. Some are located on GSP post property, some are not.

DanRollman

Database Admin
I believe the repeaters are simply named for the municipality closest to them. A good example that's close to me is the one in Cusseta. There is no GSP post but there is a repeater. Some are located on GSP post property, some are not.

Not so much the name that is my issue, but the post number in the RR DB entry for each repeater. Connecting repeaters to a post number seems very misleading relative to how they are actually used.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
So is the idea that GSP troopers somehow know the repeater location that will serve them best from a particular location and they tune their radio to that channel? As opposed to some sort of automated voting system? Is it possible that repeater inputs are shared or voted on, and the repeater that outputs the audio is somehow automatically selected? It seems difficult to believe, and rather inefficient, to think that troopers would be changing channels as they move throughout their territory, and that they all know which repeater happens to work best in their specific location.

Also, there's some assumption that the dispatch center is consolidated, and their CAD system is consolidated? So that whatever dispatcher happens to be working a particular repeater or set of repeaters can handle any trooper that calls in?

States with state-wide or wide-area trunked radios systems, like GA neighbors SC and NC, have the flexibility of using a particular talkgroup that can roam across many towers, which makes the process of a subscriber radio switching towers automated. But it allows dispatchers to be dedicated to a particular troop, or even a post within a troop, and at times they patch posts together to make it easy for dispatchers to work multiple posts/channels simultaneously.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Throw out all logic and everything done in other states. This is Georgia. If one has ever visited GSP dispatch location downtown, you know what I mean. Statewide radio system? Ha ha, in our dreams.

CAD consolidation? You mean "Smart Cop"?

Last I checked, GSP was still using MotoBridge as a console solution scrounging parts from our 911 centers from decommissioned MotoBridge consoles from the wonderful "GIN" project from 15 years ago and dispatchers themselves were the "voting receivers".

DanRollman

Database Admin
So is the idea that GSP troopers somehow know the repeater location that will serve them best from a particular location and they tune their radio to that channel?

I dunno, but I think that is as possible as anything else, based on what I hear.

As opposed to some sort of automated voting system? Is it possible that repeater inputs are shared or voted on, and the repeater that outputs the audio is somehow automatically selected?

Since your question included the word "automated" you can't be referring to GSP...

It seems difficult to believe, and rather inefficient, to think that troopers would be changing channels as they move throughout their territory, and that they all know which repeater happens to work best in their specific location.

Since you referred to "inefficient," you must be talking about GSP now.

Also, there's some assumption that the dispatch center is consolidated, and their CAD system is consolidated? So that whatever dispatcher happens to be working a particular repeater or set of repeaters can handle any trooper that calls in?

Now I don't think you're talking about GSP anymore.

States with state-wide or wide-area trunked radios systems, like GA neighbors SC and NC, have the flexibility of using a particular talkgroup that can roam across many towers, which makes the process of a subscriber radio switching towers automated. But it allows dispatchers to be dedicated to a particular troop, or even a post within a troop, and at times they patch posts together to make it easy for dispatchers to work multiple posts/channels simultaneously.

SC and NC state agencies are something on the order of 30 years ahead of GSP and some other Georgia state agencies when it comes to mobile communications. GSP only recently learned what a "repeater" could do for them. GSP communications have been held together by paper clips and bubble gum for a long time. By using the local P25 trunked radio systems in some areas of the state (city of Atlanta, Gwinnett County, Cobb County, Statesboro area, Brunswick area) they have upgraded to titanium paper clips and higher quality, longer lasting bubble gum. But their communications system (really, I should say "communications systemS") is still a patch work of whatever they can find and make due with, often begged or borrowed from others.

If they treated their patrol cars this way, they'd all drive 1975 Pontiac LeMans with gum drop blue lights in the center of the roof.

Of course, I suppose they are also a model of "frugality" when it comes to communications. I guess they upgrade something only when they can't find any more of the required transistors and tubes...

I have never been to the communications center MTS speaks of, but from everything I've heard about GSP communications I am envisioning very dedicated employees sitting in front of glowing green monochrome monitors connected to Packard Bell computer CPUs - recently installed, at that.

N8IAA

So is the idea that GSP troopers somehow know the repeater location that will serve them best from a particular location and they tune their radio to that channel?
Yes, dispatch will ask them to change channels if they have trouble receiving transmissions. Especially if they are on their HT's.

As opposed to some sort of automated voting system? Is it possible that repeater inputs are shared or voted on, and the repeater that outputs the audio is somehow automatically selected? It seems difficult to believe, and rather inefficient, to think that troopers would be changing channels as they move throughout their territory, and that they all know which repeater happens to work best in their specific location.

Also, there's some assumption that the dispatch center is consolidated, and their CAD system is consolidated?
No assumption. There are consolidated dispatch centers.

So that whatever dispatcher happens to be working a particular repeater or set of repeaters can handle any trooper that calls in?
Yes.

There are trunk systems that the GSP uses throughout the state. Fulton, Gwinnett, and southeast GA are just a couple.
So, making assumptions from what is common in SC, doesn't make sense in the great state of Georgia as MTS2000des has stated in his post.

An example, yesterday I was monitoring GSP, DNR and Cherokee county all connected together while on a chase.

They can also connect to trunk systems in my metro area. So, don't assume, because you know the saying that goes with that.............

Oh, MTS2000des, they may have old technology, but it works.

N8IAA

I dunno, but I think that is as possible as anything else, based on what I hear.

Since your question included the word "automated" you can't be referring to GSP...

Since you referred to "inefficient," you must be talking about GSP now.

Now I don't think you're talking about GSP anymore.

SC and NC state agencies are something on the order of 30 years ahead of GSP and some other Georgia state agencies when it comes to mobile communications. GSP only recently learned what a "repeater" could do for them. GSP communications have been held together by paper clips and bubble gum for a long time. By using the local P25 trunked radio systems in some areas of the state (city of Atlanta, Gwinnett County, Cobb County, Statesboro area, Brunswick area) they have upgraded to titanium paper clips and higher quality, longer lasting bubble gum. But their communications system (really, I should say "communications systemS") is still a patch work of whatever they can find and make due with, often begged or borrowed from others.

If they treated their patrol cars this way, they'd all drive 1975 Pontiac LeMans with gum drop blue lights in the center of the roof.

Of course, I suppose they are also a model of "frugality" when it comes to communications. I guess they upgrade something only when they can't find any more of the required transistors and tubes...

I have never been to the communications center MTS speaks of, but from everything I've heard about GSP communications I am envisioning very dedicated employees sitting in front of glowing green monochrome monitors connected to Packard Bell computer CPUs - recently installed, at that.

OMG, Dan. having a bad week?? Need to vent??
Of course, you might be employing some sarcasm...... :unsure: :rolleyes:

Anthony

Dan,
I can confirm your hearing GSP units on different repeaters as I have noticed in last couple of weeks that some GSP Athens units have been contacting the communications center on the Blue Ridge/ Brasstown Bald repeater. The Athens repeater was horrible at first but has improved some lately, sounds like maybe they increased power or added an antenna somewhere, but I have heard GSP units on I-85 in Jackson county using the Blue Ridge repeater.

DanRollman

Database Admin
OMG, Dan. having a bad week?? Need to vent??
Of course, you might be employing some sarcasm...... :unsure: :rolleyes:

Sarcasm? What's that?

Yes, indeed.

Of course, it is interesting to see the sorts of radio systems that areas with more money than sense can build (no, I don't mean the North Fulton cities. Or do I?). And it is also interesting to see what is built by large agencies that don't get to blindly throw tens of millions or hundreds of millions of dollars toward corporates and consultants in response to every challenge. And then the real fun is figuring out how it all works. Thus my interest in learning more about how GSP "do what they do" on the radio side.

DanRollman

Database Admin
Dan,
I can confirm your hearing GSP units on different repeaters as I have noticed in last couple of weeks that some GSP Athens units have been contacting the communications center on the Blue Ridge/ Brasstown Bald repeater. The Athens repeater was horrible at first but has improved some lately, sounds like maybe they increased power or added an antenna somewhere, but I have heard GSP units on I-85 in Jackson county using the Blue Ridge repeater.

Thanks! Wow, the Brasstown Bald repeater being used on I-85 is an even longer run than using it on Hwy 356 near Baldwin. Certainly emphasizes the importance of scanning relatively distant GSP repeaters unless/until you're sure what repeater is typically used by troopers in the area(s) you're interested in. SkiBob is right about that.

will51792

Premium Subscriber
I am 18 miles from Cusseta tower and in the morning I hear LaGrange- Americus- Cuthbert And Thomasville troopers off of this tower.

DanRollman

Database Admin
I am 18 miles from Cusseta tower and in the morning I hear LaGrange- Americus- Cuthbert And Thomasville troopers off of this tower.

That's really interesting. So you are hearing units in Troop D (LaGrange) on a tower assigned in the DB to a post in Troop G. When radio towers in a Troop are being used by Posts in a completely different Troop, they must certainly be using whatever tower happens to cover the location they are working, rather than a single tower for their entire Post.

Would be interesting to know whether GSP has developed a map or something to show troopers which towers to use where.

will51792

Premium Subscriber
That's really interesting. So you are hearing units in Troop D (LaGrange) on a tower assigned in the DB to a post in Troop G. When radio towers in a Troop are being used by Posts in a completely different Troop, they must certainly be using whatever tower happens to cover the location they are working, rather than a single tower for their entire Post.

Would be interesting to know whether GSP has developed a map or something to show troopers which towers to use where.
Yes. I have heard troopers flipping over to another tower to talk to there patrol posts. There are areas in our part of the state that the troopers has to you the tower closes to them. I guess the troopers knows where all towers are located.

petty4305

Premium Subscriber
Ok, so I'm guessing that MCCD is just following suite with GSP on the repeater issue? The only MCCD channel I have on my radio is the one from the Atlanta system. Do the other MCCD units just use the closest GSP repeater to communicate with their dispatch or is it the same dispatch as GSP?

I know, I am asking a lot of questions........

Status
Not open for further replies.