Gsp

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
My family and I will be traveling to FLA in a few weeks, and therefore, will be spending a good part of the time traveling through GA. Can anyone advise what frequencies I should program into my BCD396T to monitor the GSP, and what about the GSP around Atlanta. Are they on different frequencies?

WouffHong

I find 154.680 has a wide coverage down I75, assuming that's your route.

I feed it (and local services) via my local "newsy" page, http://yourellijay.com as well as GEWINS (Ga Emergency net) - You will hear GSP using "dalton" identification in NW GA.

Other freqs:

Car 2 car: 154.680 also and 154.905, 155.475
State Base 2 Base 154.935 and 154.905
Metro Atlanta GSP 155.9100 and 155.1900

FHP is not accessible in FL, unfortunately..

Tom

jimg said:
My family and I will be traveling to FLA in a few weeks, and therefore, will be spending a good part of the time traveling through GA. Can anyone advise what frequencies I should program into my BCD396T to monitor the GSP, and what about the GSP around Atlanta. Are they on different frequencies?

AndrewC75

w4nov said:
I feed it (and local services) via my local "newsy" page, http://yourellijay.com as well as GEWINS (Ga Emergency net)
You should consider giving credit where credit is due to the sites/people that are actually providing those audio feeds. One of those feeds (GEWIN) originates from the very desk that I'm typing this message from, and it's "home" is at http://www.scancobb.com. The good people who are members of ScanCobb donated their hard earned money to buy the scanners that provide the feeds, and I feel like it's my duty to make sure their contributions are recognized. Please feel free to keep that feed on your site... but also please mention where it actually comes from with a little tag that says "courtesy ScanCobb.com" or something like that.

Now, for the OP....

Here's all you need to know about GSP frequencies. For the most part, the frequencies are the same state-wide.
http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&aid=816

The statewide base frequency is 154.68
The statewide mobile frequency is 154.8
The statewide mobile extender frequency is 458.4875
In Metro Atlanta, they use a repeater whose output is 155.91. This is called the "Troop C" channel.
In the City of Atlanta, they most often use talkgroups 44208 (Dispatch), 44240 (TAC 1) and 44272 (TAC 2) on the Atlanta Public Safety trunked system.

Other frequencies are also used statewide less regularly. See the above link for details.

Last edited:

WouffHong

Mea Culpa..

However, before jumping down someone's throat, realize that a mistake, rather than a rip-off occurrred, and a private message to me would have been the proper route to chastize.

I saw that link on some other site, it was listed as under Cobb County, and I assumed it was a Government function, paid by public funds.

Rather than flame, how about you educate us to just what GEWIN is all about, it's origins, and function, and your role therein "from that desk".

Tnx es 73

Tom

AndrewC75

Point well taken, and my apologies for airing dirty laundry. Thank you, however, for adding the citation to your site.

In short, GEWIN (Georgia Emergency Wireless Interoperability Network) is poised to be a pure P25 statewide interoperability radio system. Right now, there are a couple of networked simulcast sites: One in Atlanta, and another in Cobb County. Cobb County is the only municipality using the system full time. All, or most all, of Cobb County police has migrated to the system, and much of the rest of Cobb County's and many Cobb municipalities' agencies intend to migrate to the system.

What I've been told, however, is that the system isn't actually intended for everyone to hop on board and use it as their primary radio system. It really is more for interoperability when agencies need to talk to one another, not when they need to talk amongst themselves. Cobb is the guinea pig, which is why they are fully migrating to the system. I'm not sure what to make of this supposition, however. I personally think that if you're going to invest in a statewide system, then use the darn thing to it's fullest potential.

My role is simple...Here's the article that explains it all:
http://www.whitlockavenue.com/2006/08/05/keep-up-with-crime-in-cobb-online/

WouffHong

Good info, Andrew..

Good information, and BTW: Thanks for porting GEWIN to us. Do I understand, then, that the GEWIN streaming you have currently set up is strictly LOCAL to Cobb, or is it a state-wide repeater system you are monitoring that is embryonic only at this time, but available through your Stream. Someone mentioned a "site 1000" on line, leading me to believe that it is growing fairly well, actually.

Ergo, if it IS a "statewide" system, per se, are there linked repeaters planned (or already set up) or is it just a clone and expansion of the old 155.37 "intercity" type variety? :)

Florida went to an encrypted digital FHP concept (forget the system moniker - MA/COM, perhaps??) that was supposed to do similar all-state interoperability, but the Cars found out they were never sure WHICH "base" they were talking to, and the support-delays were BAD.. :-( But that's another story, and not germane here. :) :)

Tom

AndrewC75 said:
Point well taken, and my apologies for airing dirty laundry. Thank you, however, for adding the citation to your site.

In short, GEWIN (Georgia Emergency Wireless Interoperability Network) is poised to be a pure P25 statewide interoperability radio system. Right now, there are a couple of networked simulcast sites: One in Atlanta, and another in Cobb County. Cobb County is the only municipality using the system full time. All, or most all, of Cobb County police has migrated to the system, and much of the rest of Cobb County's and many Cobb municipalities' agencies intend to migrate to the system.

What I've been told, however, is that the system isn't actually intended for everyone to hop on board and use it as their primary radio system. It really is more for interoperability when agencies need to talk to one another, not when they need to talk amongst themselves. Cobb is the guinea pig, which is why they are fully migrating to the system. I'm not sure what to make of this supposition, however. I personally think that if you're going to invest in a statewide system, then use the darn thing to it's fullest potential.

My role is simple...Here's the article that explains it all:
http://www.whitlockavenue.com/2006/08/05/keep-up-with-crime-in-cobb-online/

ButchGone

RE: GSP and GEWIN

A lot has been said about GEWIN, but for the foreseeable future, GEWIN is NOT just a proposed trunked digital system on 800MHz. It goes beyond that. In areas where 800MHz use is widespread and expanding (metro areas of course) there will be an eventual migration of users to a statewide 800MHz system as more 9600 bbs P-25 systems go on-line.
GEWIN is also an elaborate system that LINKS existing conventional channels in the 150MHZ and 460MHz ranges. In northwest Georgia, GEWIN has already been installed, even though everybody still uses VHF-hi band. Dispatchers at GSP and approved counties will have capability of "patching" any of their local channels with any others within the state that are participants of the system. As was explained to me by a ranking member of GSP in N.W. Georgia, their dispatcher can now, for example, connect a local trooper(on the 154.68/154.80 split) with one who is hundreds of miles south on VHF, or with a talkgroup in a trunked 800MHz system, or with anyone else in the state.
The reality is the money to fully fund a statewide 800MHz system isn't there. It will take years to engineer and develop. Many counties outside the metro areas simply do not forsee having the money to buy a 9600 bps P-25 trunked system.
Conventional analog communications in much of Georgia outside the metro areas is here to stay for quite some time. The big deal now is buying conventional equipment that meets new FCC "Narrowband" standards.
But for now it's facinating to watch the build out of P-25 800MHz systems that are all linked in the metro Atlanta area!

red8

ButchGone,
I'm sure there are some Federal grant money out there to help, I mean there is always some way. Don't fret, don't worry agencies can always find a way to get the funds. If it's not tax there is the grants.

ButchGone

Re:

Thanks Red8...and you are right, grants are available! But that takes lotsa time, local matching funds and years to engineer/build a statewide system. So it'll be quite a few years before there's a statewide 800MHz trunked system in Georgia serving all 159 counties. Remember, government moves slow!
But my intent was to explain that GEWIN is not just a plan for a trunked system, but more so is a system of computers, software, phone lines and microwave links that allow conventional VHF/UHF users to be "patched" together if and when the need arises. For areas outside the bigger cities (most of Georgia) they will remain VHF/UHF conventional for years into the foreseeable future.
Hope that helps. If you need specifics, do a Google search for GEWIN and the Georgia Technology Authority. I forget the link, but one site does an excellent job of explaining the system with graphics and pictures.
Here in Tennessee, officials have been talking about a statewide system for many years but they are still bogged down trying to decide what they want, what band to use and how they will pay for it.
Politicians talk about "homeland security" but they don't act on anything they promise until an industry lobbyist gives them the right stroke-job and tells them what to do.
Happy listening!
BG..

red8

Yeah you right,
Butch we have the LATIE system and it has been on since July of this year and it hurricane Katrina the get the ball rolling to get this
system on line down here in Louisiana as of today the LATIE system
is in use in and around the Metro New Orleans down to Point la Hache. This down in Plaquemines Parish where the Mississippi river
empties into the Gulf of Mexico. And by 2008 LATIE will totally
operational in all 64 parishes. This system will be able iteroperate
to all law enforcement agencies and first responders across the state
and neighboring border states such as Mississippi and Alabama.
I hope the State of Georgia can get the GEWIN system up and going
in the state because now a days it is all about interoperbility.

Status
Not open for further replies.