GTA Motorola question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi All, I am looking to buy a Motorola unit and am wondering what you'd recommend I buy for listening to EMS on the fleetnet system. I am currently using a Uniden 396xt which barely picks up the system from home, so I need something solid that is going to pick up the system anywhere (Niagara Region). Budget is tight so preferably nothing too expensive. Thanks.

ninfreak

U can not use a Motorola radio to monitor a trunk system beacouse of affiliate of the radios there is a way but u would have to know what you are doing stick with the scanner invest in a good out door attena and maybe a drop amp

unlisted

+ 1 for a proper antenna and cable for said antenna. You could always mount an exterior antenna for when you are (static listening) at home and a good portable antenna for when you are mobile.

If you cannot install an exterior antenna at your residence try mounting near a window or a exterior wall where you know there is no wiring. Bonus points if you have the antenna "facing" towards the closest repeater tower.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I would recommend a Motorola XTS3000 or Astro Saber. You'll need a RIB and a cable to program them along with Motorola CPS.

These radios are no longer supported so you'll have to source the software on your own. Please don't ask for help locating it on these forums though.

You'll need to also search for the non-affiliate method of scanning a trunking system.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Hi All, I am looking to buy a Motorola unit and am wondering what you'd recommend I buy for listening to EMS on the fleetnet system. I am currently using a Uniden 396xt which barely picks up the system from home, so I need something solid that is going to pick up the system anywhere (Niagara Region). Budget is tight so preferably nothing too expensive. Thanks.

You have a pretty good scanner already, you might just be lacking antenna. As "Unlisted" pointed out, you can buy an antenna designed for the frequencies of fleetnet and you will be surprised I think at what your scanner can do. The stock antenna that comes with the scanner does not do it justice on VHF HI. I face the Charlton tower,line of sight about 10 km and if I am using the stock antenna that comes with any of the Uniden scanners I have owned and I either have too much static or I cannot receive the tower enough to decode it.

You are in Niagara? Can you get the Welland Fonthill tower? How is your signal on each? If you are close enough to Lake Ontario you might be able to snag Mowat, the Toronto Fleetnet tower located downtown. I dont know if you will get Charlton, Hamilton's tower from where you are.

Motorola radios are great, if you can program it, if you have the code plug. None of this is easy or cheap.

VE3RADIO

U can not use a Motorola radio to monitor a trunk system beacouse of affiliate of the radios there is a way but u would have to know what you are doing stick with the scanner invest in a good out door attena and maybe a drop amp

Sure you can.. you just need to read first.

Thank you for all the replies.

I am currently using a Watson WSMA801 antenna (seen here WSMA801 25-1900MHz 8.5" Regular Gainer (SMA connector) - Canada) on the 396 which does not pick up Fleetnet from my house, however when further east towards St.Catharines it does.

Are there any antennas that you'd recommend I purchase to be able to pick up what I'm looking for from my house without having to buy a new radio?

Thanks.

unlisted

This if mounting outside: T601 25-1300MHz Wide Range Discone - Durham Radio Sales and Service Canada

This if "mounting" inside, near a window, facing a tower: KS3 - Micro Magnet Mobile Scanner Antenna Canada

I'd also recommend you purchase a sma to bnc adapter for ease of switching between antennas.

Note, the second antenna some people don't like due to the small wire however I've had good results with it, and know some others who have as well.

Any recommendations for a portable handheld antenna?

mrweather

Any recommendations for a portable handheld antenna?
If the focus is to monitor Fleetnet I would suggest an antenna designed for handheld 2M ham radios. Such an antenna is designed for use on frequencies around Fleetnet frequencies. Comet and Diamond make them.

VE3JSO

If the focus is to monitor Fleetnet I would suggest an antenna designed for handheld 2M ham radios. Such an antenna is designed for use on frequencies around Fleetnet frequencies. Comet and Diamond make them.

if you buy the antenna ham radios have 2 types of connectors bnc and sma just something to watch out for

mrweather

if you buy the antenna ham radios have 2 types of connectors bnc and sma just something to watch out for
Good point. I don't own this particular scanner but it appears to have an SMA antenna connector. There are many options for aftermarket 2M SMA handheld antennas.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Good point. I don't own this particular scanner but it appears to have an SMA antenna connector. There are many options for aftermarket 2M SMA handheld antennas.

Sayal sells all kinds of connectors, there is a company in Mississauga called Gap Wireless that sells them as well but I don't know if they deal with the public. Radio World used to sell them, not sure if they still do.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Just came back from a job interview on Nash St North in the Hammer. Between Barton and the CN tracks on the west side of the street there is an authorized Motorola dealer, I am guessing they sell antennas and maybe even radios to the "joe scanner" crowd that hang here.

In the GTA maybe Lakeshore Communications (which isn't near a lake) near PIA, Hutton White Radio in the Masterson/403 area of Miss might sell radios.

Like WZ said in an earlier post on this thread, there are Motorola radios can be used to follow trunked systems but you have to know how to program them, how to have these radios not affiliate or transmit, if it isnt done correctly you are setting yourself up for a world of hurt.

In my opinion Moto gear does sound better than any scanners I have had or used but if I had to pick a scanner or a Motorola radio I'd pick a scanner every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.