GTA Online Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

tusker305

Hi Folks,
Does anyone know of an online scanner feed for Toronto or Hamilton Fire or EMS.
There was a great Toronto Fire Feed on IBN but it has vanished, lots of atc feeds too.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
I was looking for one as well.. doesnt seem to be any anymore
its only Edmonton Calgary and Ottawa Valley left on IBN

tusker305

I know I have searched so much, I got a message that said YOU HAVE REACHED THE END OF THE INTERNET Nothing More To See Here.
I am Moving To Hamilton this summer and would like to put up a few channels on IBN.
No reason Alberta should have all the fun

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
There used to be Toronto feeds but there is a select group of people in toronto who are soooo paranoid that a feed would make TPS go encrypted they do everything they can to stop someone from streaming.

tusker305

Wow that's funny. Toronto fire service has a display of the dispatch CAD on the official
web site. FDNY funds a group to keep their radio traffic on the web, but FDNY is the master at self marketing anyway. The police will say criminals will use it to monitor them.
But I gotta tell ya. I have worked in EMS in a large urban city (Detroit), been in hundreds
of crack houses and dens of criminals in 26 years and have never seen a scanner in any one of those places.
Maybe instead of trying "Not To Be Noticed" enjoying our hobby. We should be teaching
others that we are so kool we can snatch invisable waves out of the air and hear someone
speaking sometimes hundreds of miles away. I don't care who you are "Thats Kool".
Most of the time police don't care, unless you and your antenna laden car keep showing
up on their calls. Or doing something else stupid. So Don't.
Motorola markets this stuff as 'can't be monitored" oh by the way it will cost a million dollars more, BUT it can't be monitored. We need the powers to be, to know who is monitoring and why and say No Thanks we will keep the money, we stream on the internet anyway.
I have noticed on this site when one of the nuckle heads shows up, the rest jump on them like a pack of wild dogs, then no more knuckle head. We are, for the most part, a self policing society with fairly strict rules about how things should be done. With Professionalism and Class, Others should know this. Some already do.
I am sure that some firemen in Phoenix or LA or anybody, anyplace on earth would enjoy listening to Toronto Fire Cranking out alarms. Calling Engine Cos "Pump" and Ladder Cos "Arial" and that a Rescue is a Pump with autoex gear and the Squads are the big dogs.
Just My Thoughts, Sorry I left the rant switch in the on position. This is just too much fun to let some foolishness get in the way.
Happy Monitoring

jellotor

Well, considering the legal grey area involving rebroadcasting transmissions most of those in the know (and therefore the most cautious among us) prefer to keep their online feeds (if any) private.

When it comes to this kind of thing, let your conscience be your guide and expect consequences in line with your actions. If you have a scanner duifully streaming away over the internet from some remote location and only you and a few select others know about it...it's not terribly likely that you'll run afoul of the authorities.

Maintain a high-profile, obnoxious online presence for your feed and you might attract attention, however. Search the forum for more details on that.

tusker305

I do agree with your points jellotor. But I don't think streaming is rebroadcasting anything, you are not sending a signal. The signal is going no farther than your pc or server. You must invite me to come over to your house and listen to your radio. Then I must come to you to listen. Amateur Radio does it (IRLP) Broadcast does it (Mikes Radio World) My question is, why not us?
Michigan had a very tough scanner in car law, up to 1 year in jail if convicted. Then you needed a permit. Fill out the application send it to the state police and you got a permit.
When they reviewed the permits issued they found out 80% were in public safety, the rest were news media, ham operators or hobbiests, and none of the folks, none had criminal records. They learned that it is a harmless hobby and within a year the law was taken off the books.
I think it would be wonderful if we could all listen in on the other guy's shack.
If the authorities learned more about what we do and why, I think there would be less distrust and better for the hobby. Maybe we can make that grey area go away.
To me this site is the best thing since hockey. A place packed with radio nuts, what could be better. I must have died and gone to scanner heaven.
Happy Monitoring

danimac67

Tusker305, I like your style and I agree with you.
If a criminal can figure out Uniden's firmware updates and load it into a 396t, then they would probably be smart enough to commit a crime without any scanner, lol.

jellotor

tusker305 said:
I do agree with your points jellotor. But I don't think streaming is rebroadcasting anything, you are not sending a signal. The signal is going no farther than your pc or server. You must invite me to come over to your house and listen to your radio. Then I must come to you to listen. Amateur Radio does it (IRLP) Broadcast does it (Mikes Radio World) My question is, why not us?

Well, that's the thing, man. You are certainly welcome to set up an online scanner feed and be as discreet or not about it as you see fit.

Aside from the questions of bandwidth, ISP terms of service and all of that stuff, our interpretations of the law (since it's a grey area) will more than likely differ from law enforcement's interpretation.

Personally, if I had an online scanner that attracted attention my time and money would be better spent doing something other than defending my 'right' to stream that audio online.

With the law being hazy in this regard and some past incidents on this issue, online scanners have dried up in this area...or at least been driven underground.

tusker305

I started off just looking for a feed I could listen to before I moved and maybe set one up
so others could enjoy when I arrived. Now I kinda feel like I asked to open a strip joint between a church and a day care center. I am happy to find out that law enforcement has the time to worry about such things. In my current world I wait 20 minutes to get police on a shooting call. The mayor and chief of staff are facing prision time, now that spring is here we have heat in the firehouse, the city tells me they can fix the ac in october and I'm retiring in July. Its All Good. I don't want to be doing anything that will cause law enforcement to grow fur. If they don't like it, than I aint doing it.

jellotor if you know of any Toronto or Hamilton Fire feeds underground please pm me I would love to listen in until I get there. Thanks for the interaction my friend it was a great way to spend a day off.

In God We Trust. On Our Brothers We Depend. If You Can't Come Out. Then Were Comming In.

jellotor

Nothing I said is truly meant to discourage you from setting up your own feed. And I do hope that the police have better things to do than hassle hobbyists who stream radio chatter over the internet.

Just keep in mind the legal grey area and go from there...and good luck with your feed!

dic

Jellotor

I am not being argumentative with my next question, although it might sound that way:

Is it MORE illegal in Canada to rebroadcast scanner transmissions than in the US?
There are over 1500 feeds on scannerfeeds.us and no one seems to be concerned or has reported legal problems.

Thanks
Dic

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
dic said:
Is it MORE illegal in Canada to rebroadcast scanner transmissions than in the US?

That's the whole problem, nobody really knows what the law says and how the courts will interpret it.

There are a million armchair lawyers out there on the internet that will give you an opinion but it really comes down to the guy who's thinking of broadcasting it and whether he wants to take a chance.

If he believes he's got nothing to fear, then by all means, put it online and advertise it.

So far nobody in the Toronto area has been willing to make a stream public. Perhaps they're more cautious then other areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.