GTA Update site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Very cool.

Can anyone give us a hint as to how this is achieved. Equipment, software etc.

Thanks

For fire, TFS has all calls posted publicly here. Sites like the one i linked can easily scrape data from it. Believe it updates every 5 minutes or so. Toronto Fire Active Incidents

Similarly, Toronto Police have a site for calls to service that could be scraped from. It's all in a table - so probably fairly easy to write software to pull from it.

Another site has their code publicly available on GitHub to see rdrnt/tps-calls

Lexxx

Thanks,

It wouldn't be Toronto I'd be interested in though. Any idea if other cities run a similar program with their police and fire?

Or any idea where I could start looking for that info?

Thanks again.

gary123

Lexxx: nope no other service in Ontario has anything similar. Most police services believe that the public has no need to have this or any type of information. I personally disagree but the reality is only specific sanitized information is ever publicly released.

Fire depts in general seem to be more transparent in their operations. Again my opinion is that this is for 2 main reasons. One they are not encrypted so its easy for anyone interested to monitor activities. Second usually with fire depts anything big such as a actual fire gets covered all over social media so its very hard to deny that the building at Ontario and Trudeau burnt to the ground.

mapleradio

Lexxx: nope no other service in Ontario has anything similar. Most police services believe that the public has no need to have this or any type of information. I personally disagree but the reality is only specific sanitized information is ever publicly released.

Fire depts in general seem to be more transparent in their operations. Again my opinion is that this is for 2 main reasons. One they are not encrypted so its easy for anyone interested to monitor activities. Second usually with fire depts anything big such as a actual fire gets covered all over social media so its very hard to deny that the building at Ontario and Trudeau burnt to the ground.

I respectfully disagree, the City of Hamilton has a twitter feed for their Fire CAD system..

HiVolt

Feed Provider
There's another one as well for Toronto Fire & Toronto Police.

Regarding the Toronto Police Calls for Service site, it was created in response of TPS encrypting their radios ~2015 as we all remember. They created this so the public may still have an idea what's happening. I think I remember hearing it's about 10-15 minutes behind actual dispatch calls.

And also, Toronto Fire does not post all calls to the TFS Live CAD site, but those are usually suspicious package calls that involve HAZMAT & CBRN responses. Most recent one was at a package with white powder at a Scarborough hospital.

gary123

It's not surprising about the 15 min. delay. It is surprising that Toronto had the community spirit to make the service available. I commend the service for doing that.

polkaroo

Missed him again!
Not really community spirit but a "transparency" recommendation from the Transformative Task Force a several years ago after TPS went encrypted radios and sporadic postings on Twitter. Keep in mind the C4S site doesn't show the more serious calls, and also doesn't update the original call details so a medical could very well be a homicide, etc.

But alas, we're getting into grey territory for the encryption ban hammer so I'll show myself out.

NO CARRIER

mciupa

Database Admin
Encryption discussion is permitted as long as it does not tie in with audio streaming which is a revenue source for this website.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Hamilton's Fire CAD is pretty accurate and incidents are tweeted quickly. I live close enough to Station 11 and can hear apparatus responding and I am able to discern station 11 by sound. Station 1 also responds to calls here and they have different siren sounds than station 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.