Guelph RCA

Status
Not open for further replies.

djscanner

Hi i am trying to see if there is a way to get teh talk group for RCA (ambulance) all i can get it PD and FD on the guelph site and i really can't get much on the guelph west site (12). sooo what site do i need to get get to hear the ambulance ? and what is the TGID?
thanks for helping a newbie.

djscanner

Thanks, but only problem is i get only 1 to 2 bars of signal from there. any way to get a beter signal ? like ad a larger attena than these duckies? and the thing is i am actually in guelph too.
again any help would be nice thanks

jellotor

I use a 5/8 wave antenna on my vehicle which works great. The ducky antenna isn't a particularly stellar performer in any band so pick an antenna that meets your band requirements (in this case VHF) and go for it. If you want to listen to EMS in Guelph you'll have to use the Guelph West site.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I use an Diamond RH77CA for portable use as well as a Larsen antenna (model # unknown) to enhance Fleetnet.
The uniden stock antennas are crappy on VHF IMO.

rhutch

I find the SMA-3 works better on my 396, I have a SRH77 and the SMA 3 beats it hands down on both the VHF and UHF. What type of building are you in? In Guelph unless there is some other reason you should be getting just about full signal on the Guelph West tower. You can also get the on Balinafad and Cedarwoods (but if you can't get them on Guelph West I doubt you will have much luck with either of those). What signal strength do you get the Guelph tower?

djscanner

i have a 296D and stock ducky and i usually get full signal to the guelph main site, and i am just off gordon near downtown. soo i dunno why i only get 1 or 2 bars for guelph west. .
Also forthe 296D when i am listening to an active TG and another TGID shows up on the display as "actn ID 400" for example. how do i get it to go directly to that TGID , because i tried hitting RSM and that just gets it off the current TG but doesnt go to the TG that is being shown as "actn" but merley jsut starts scanning and IF it is still active by the time it gets there then, well, i miss half of what they are saying.
any help would be great, thanks for all the info so far. :)

jellotor

Well, bear in mind that Guelph West wasn't designed for portable coverage much less for scanner listeners...and with that coathanger of a ducky, as Eric said, you're not doing yourself any favours.

You say you're downtown...which means you're in a valley with some buildings in your way to block the signal somewhat.

So I'd summarize your problems with the Guelph West site as follows: your antenna isn't a great performer on VHF and due to your topography and the design of the site, you're not able to get a good signal without a better tuned antenna.

Did I mention a better antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.