Guelph West (#12) and Tower question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
What radio activity is on this newly added site? Guelph FDP & PD or MOH/OPP/MTO etc?
I'll be driving up thru there this weekend up north and may I ask:
1) Should I use Cedarwoods or B-fad as my tower as I drive up Hwy 6 thru Welligton into Durham's area (Grey Co.)? How far does Cedarwoods normally cover towards the north/
Also, Would it be prudent to use Kimberly's tower in between Durham and Owen Sound?
I would think that Kimberly would cover the eastern Georgian areas of Grey Co.

Graeme: U up there these days?
TIA
Eric

jellotor

Eric,

If you're heading up Hwy 6, Guelph West may be a good choice for you in that area. I've done the Hamilton-Owen Sound run quite a few times and even with my 5/8 wave antenna coverage for Fleetnet (other than th Guelph site that handles only city FD and PS) can be a bit spotty for me. The consensus on scanont is that this site will handle everything the Guelph site doesn't: OPP, MOH, MTO and so on and so forth. I'm going to scoot up there and run trunker on Thursday or Friday and I'll report my findings once I get back...but Terry's been running trunker on the control channel already.

I generally go (from south to north): Hamilton, Cedarwoods, Listowel, Durham, Owen Sound. Occaisionally I throw Ballinafad in there with Cedarwoods but the difference (to me) is neglegible. I'll be looking forward to testing out the coverage of this new site.

I rarely use Kimberley between Durham and Owen Sound...in Terry-speak, the Durham site bas 'big ears' and I can recieve it from as far south as Kenilworth. It covers the northeastern part of Grey County (and the northwestern part of Simcoe County).

I'll be in Tara on Friday, Eric. Drop me a PM if you're swinging through the area...maybe we can meet up for a coffee.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Thanks Graeme: We will be going up on Saturday, for the week.
My internet @ home is on the fritz so i have to use my dial-up at work.
I will PM u my cell #.
P.S We are moving to Burlington in Sept.
E

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I never thought of Listowel to use.
I am guessing that Listowel could be used up around the Fergus area, near Arthur maybe?
The Guelph West tower is very quiet, I had it running last night with no activity on it save one unit affiliating with it.

jellotor

When this tower gets sorted out and set up it will eliminate one of the quieter spots on my journey north. I travel to the east of Guelph (Watson Rd./Jones Baseline) rather than taking the Hanlon and can sometimes lose the control channel from Cedarwoods.

By the time I get halfway between Guelph and Fergus I usually have to start looking for the Listowel control channel which covers me practically all the way up to Mount Forest where the Durham cc can take over effectively.

That said, Listowel is a ways off to the west from Hwy 6...I recieve it with about 3-4 bars on my 250D with the 5/8 wave antenna...

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Thanks Graeme:
I'll try Listowel N. of Guelph and which over at Mt. Forest.
We sometimes avoid the Hanlon also and take Victoria instead.

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
jellotor said:
The consensus on scanont is that this site will handle everything the Guelph site doesn't: OPP, MOH, MTO and so on and so forth. I'm going to scoot up there and run trunker on Thursday or Friday and I'll report my findings once I get back...but Terry's been running trunker on the control channel already.

I will be able to keep a closer eye on site 12 now that I finally broke down a set up a dedicated Trunker receiver and computer. I had an old Pro 2001 scanner that was given to me a few years back that I added a Discriminator tap to thanks to http://www.discriminator.nl/handic0016/index-en.html. Before I was using my BC796D and was actually getting decent decode rates by just pushing the plug part way into the tape out jack but didn't like to tie up my main scanner since I also remote it from work on days I'm stuck in the shop.

Works like a charm and only took about 30 mins to set up so don't throw those old boat anchors out yet.

pro-2001.jpg

Disctap-2.jpg

mbstone99

Premium Subscriber
Guelph West

I was up in Kitchener/Waterloo today and had the Guelph West tower on but didn't hear anything yet on it.

Matt

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
Ya the screen shot is of site 3, site 12 is still quiet as a mouse for now. I will let you guys know as soon as it come active.

jellotor

ve3nsv said:
Ya the screen shot is of site 3, site 12 is still quiet as a mouse for now. I will let you guys know as soon as it come active.

Agreed. I heard no activity on it when swinging through on Thursday and Friday but the coverage with my antenna is quite good. Picked up the control channel south of Freelton and it remained strong through most (if not all) of Wellington county on the drive north.

As for trunker...I have two K6 boxes (a 200 and a 266) running Windows Trunker as we speak...one on Fleetnet and one on the Hamilton PS system...I'm using a BC890XLT for Hamilton and a BC760XLT with a blown speaker for Fleetnet. Old gear works great with trunker...and most of the Uniden scanners of the same rough vintage as the BC890/BC560/BC760 use the same IC needed to get the discriminator audio. Once I discovered that...well, I tapped all the scanners I had. No reason not to.

950Sidewinder

Just observed that this tower is fully live. Been monitoring it all day. Getting all the usual traffic that the other towers provide.

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
Yup it appears it has been put in service, Mtrunker also reveals 2 new voice channels added.

143.8650mhz
143.9400mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.