Guide to LADD channels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Not sure if this has been covered in any other threads but my question is, how does one know which LADD/ trucking channels to use/listen to depending on location in Alberta? Is there some guide out there that says what channel to use in a certain area?

Around Edmonton I have heard random traffic on all 4 LADD channels and Alberta wide channels .

Thanks

ecps92

Hello all,

Not sure if this has been covered in any other threads but my question is, how does one know which LADD/ trucking channels to use/listen to depending on location in Alberta? Is there some guide out there that says what channel to use in a certain area?

Around Edmonton I have heard random traffic on all 4 Ladd channels and Alberta wide channels .

Thanks

dwc

Database Admin
Hello all,

Around Edmonton I have heard random traffic on all 4 Ladd channels and Alberta wide channels .

Thanks

For the actual licensed users of the LADD channels, their license actually shows which geographical areas which LADD channels are permitted. For example, here in BC, LADD 1 is permitted pretty much anywhere north of Nanaimo and outside the Lower Mainland.

At least for BC, all of this is described in Appendix 6;

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Awesome , that's what I was looking for !. thanks to those people who actually put the work in and provided links to websites , not just told me to "go search " somewhere .
So sorry. It was late at night, I did look at some licenses I had saved but did not want to post these that show the Restrictions of LADD frequencies in Alberta. I came back tonight to see if I could help more but now will not. Thank you.

Do truckers use CB or even LADD freq anymore? I see many trucks with no antennas at all.
Yes, there are truckers using LADD frequencies, even in restricted areas. I'm sure they have no license nor have they looked at the licenses that people may have given them authorization to use.

From what I understand there is no real enforcement. Not sure if the FCC is limited to within the United States, but unless you are literally breaking the law over the airwaves , I'm meaning profanity, bullying , uttering threats or broadcasting music or something stupid like that on these specific frequencies nobody's really patrolling them and nobody's going to track you down and give you a hefty fine. It comes down to a matter of a common courtesy type situation I would say.

Most truckers or most people using the LADD frequencies aren't licensed and they use them for communication between other co-workers and or checking road conditions in extreme weather

lamarrsy

Premium Subscriber
Mmmmmm… I tend to differ, here;
The LADD frequencies are specific for British Columbia province, and expected *not* be used *outside* the specified zones.

However, in Quebec province, I have been witness of truckers (presumably from BC province) creating mayhem on my old hometown fire frequency while I as visiting there… admittedly their LADD channel (154.100) was on the output of the fire repeater channel, but still, it rendered communications really difficult between fire units when I heard it (maybe they were close to some of the fire engines).

154.325 is another of the LADD frequencies where unauthorized use was heard in Quebec province, which incidentally was also the output frequency of emergency service (natives services)… so, no, there definitely *are* impacts of using these frequencies I would say, “anywhere for anything” !

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ Say it, say 'ENCRYPTION'
From what I understand there is no real enforcement. Not sure if the FCC is limited to within the United States, but unless you are literally breaking the law over the airwaves , I'm meaning profanity, bullying , uttering threats or broadcasting music or something stupid like that on these specific frequencies nobody's really patrolling them and nobody's going to track you down and give you a hefty fine. It comes down to a matter of a common courtesy type situation I would say.

Most truckers or most people using the LADD frequencies aren't licensed and they use them for communication between other co-workers and or checking road conditions in extreme weather
The FCC has absolutely no jurisdiction in Canada. That is the job of ISED in Canada. ISED doesn't do any enforcement in Canada. It's a joke actually.

Mmmmmm… I tend to differ, here;
The LADD frequencies are specific for British Columbia province, and expected *not* be used *outside* the specified zones.

However, in Quebec province, I have been witness of truckers (presumably from BC province) creating mayhem on my old hometown fire frequency while I as visiting there… admittedly their LADD channel (154.100) was on the output of the fire repeater channel, but still, it rendered communications really difficult between fire units when I heard it (maybe they were close to some of the fire engines).

154.325 is another of the LADD frequencies where unauthorized use was heard in Quebec province, which incidentally was also the output frequency of emergency service (natives services)… so, no, there definitely *are* impacts of using these frequencies I would say, “anywhere for anything” !
LADD 1 and LADD 4 are legal to use in Alberta, with in the restrictions set out by ISED. I believe Ladd 1-4 are legally allowed to be used in The Yukon as well.

LADD 2 and LADD 3 are not allowed to be used as mobile to mobile 'road' channels in Alberta.

Do truckers use CB or even LADD freq anymore? I see many trucks with no antennas at all.
LADD 1-4 use is alive and well in Westen Canada. Especially in BC and the oilfield of Alberta.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
From ISED web site: B1 — Western and Northern Canada Mobile-Only Frequencies.
154.100154.100Licensed mobiles. British Columbia, Alberta, Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut only. Excluding Greater Vancouver, Fraser Valley west of Hope, Vancouver Island south of Nanaimo, British Columbia, south of 53°30'00" latitude (i.e. south of Edmonton) and 100 km radius of Bonnyville, Alberta (LAD-1).
154.325154.325Licensed mobiles. British Columbia, Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut only. Excluding Greater Vancouver, Fraser Valley west of Hope and Vancouver Island south of Nanaimo, British Columbia (LAD-3).
158.940158.940Licensed mobiles. British Columbia, Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut only (LAD-2).

va6xj

Premium Subscriber
I brought this example to the Edmonton office, and was advised that they do not have the resources to deal with enforcement. Alberta has turned into the wild west of interference issues. It is beyond manageable or fixable, due to ISED's lack of desire to do anything about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.