Gulf Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kegan30317

Looking at the database, I see 800/Jackson Co and VHF freq's for Ocean Springs. Which is the best set of freq's for Ocean Springs PD, and surrounding agencies (Fire, Jackson Co EMS, Sheriff, etc). Thx for any help....

matthewtomek

Live Audio Admin
Feed Provider
"Nexus" should be along soon to help you out with the specifics of who uses what, but my suggestion is to program everything listed in the database and see what you get more activity from.

w8dm

Premium Subscriber
Jackson Co

Hello...
Use the 800mhz trunk freqs. Just about everyone is on the system now. Gulf Islands still uses vhf and I think OS school district may still be on UHF.

Don

bassmkenk2508

OS Police Dept uses the Jackson County TRS, but they use the digital voice mode on (most of) their talkgroups, not analog. OS Fire Dept. uses analog on the county radio system though.

Their VHF no longer serves the city law/fire anymore, but public works, rather.

In regards to Gulf Islands, the rangers (??) use the VHF freq listed on the main county page, though not heard often.

I have not monitored OS schools much, but I submitted those when was able to confirm them. (Just program that one frequency and you will be fine. Ignore the tone, unless curious about differences.)

In regards to things non-Ocean Springs, the notations under the county 800 TRS as to digital and analog are up-to-date.

-Bryan

Last edited:

w8dm

Premium Subscriber
Jackson County

Well, your PRO 97 should work for the analog stations on the trunking system. But as Bryan said, most of the stations are on digital now. Just look at the Jackson county info and you will see who you can hear.
Don

nexus

Others beat me too it. DON'T program any of the VHF or conventional stuff in for any agency in Jackson County, which includes Ocean Springs. It's all very out-dated.

Several months ago 155.580 was being used by public works but I haven't heard anything on it. They probably went to the 800mhz system. All public Safety in Jackson County is using the Jackson County TRS. Every police department except for Gautier, and Moss Point are using DIGITAL, so you'll need a DIGITAL SCANNER like the PRO-96, Uniden BCD-96 or BCD-396T or the new GRE PRO600 in order to hear them.

Kegan30317

Went back to Ocean Springs today with my newly loaded freq's. Scanner would often (though not continually) stop at the TG with the alpha designation OS Police and it sounded like a control channel. Huh? I realize Sunday radio traffic would probably be light, so there wasn't much other traffic while I was there. Moss Point dispatch came in fine. Some Gautier FD stuff. Arcadian Ambulance popped up several times.

Have I got something set wrong? I'm just guessing here, but I have the type set to MOT. Should it be something else- Conventional, etc? Why the 'control channel' sounds occasionally?

Thanks for ALL YOUR HELP AND PATIENCE with me.

nexus

Went back to Ocean Springs today with my newly loaded freq's. Scanner would often (though not continually) stop at the TG with the alpha designation OS Police and it sounded like a control channel. Huh? I realize Sunday radio traffic would probably be light, so there wasn't much other traffic while I was there. Moss Point dispatch came in fine. Some Gautier FD stuff. Arcadian Ambulance popped up several times.

Have I got something set wrong? I'm just guessing here, but I have the type set to MOT. Should it be something else- Conventional, etc? Why the 'control channel' sounds occasionally?

Thanks for ALL YOUR HELP AND PATIENCE with me.

You're not going to hear Ocean Springs police on your PRO-97. Its not a digital scanner. The only police departments on the Jackson County system you'll hear are GAUTIER and MOSS POINT. As I and others have said you'll need a digital scanner to hear all of the other police departments. A PRO 96, or Uniden BCD96 or BCD396T or the GRE PSR-500/600.

When you had Ocean Springs PD programmed in, and they talk, all "YOU" will hear is the digital sounds. Its not a control channel you're hearing, its them actually talking, but since you don't have a "digital scanner" you won't hear their voices, just the digital sounds. If you were able to hear Acadian Ambulance or Moss Point, or Gautier Fire, then your scanner is programmed right. IT SHOULD BE MOT not Conventional or ED.

Any TG that has 5 digits in it is a DIGITAL TALKGROUP. So you're only going to be able to listen to TG's that are 4 or less numbers in them. LIke say Gautier PD Dispatch is 1072

But if you program in 25616 for OS PD Dispatch, all you'll hear is digital sounds when they talk until you get yourself a digital scanner. So any talkgroup on the Jackson County system with 5 digits DIGITAL ONLY. Just use that as a guide.

My suggestion would be these for the most activity.

Moss Point PD Dispatch: 5616
Gautier PD Dispatch: 1072
Gautier FD Main channel: 1104
Jackson County County Wide: 80
(this one is used by inter-agency narcotic stings)

Acadian Ambulance: 1744
(patched from their freq 155.235 mhz)

Ocean Springs Fire: 4016

Kegan30317

Thanks Nexus, I guess I'm "old school" and stopped paying attention to the technology a few years back when things started going digital. Looks like I'm in for a trip to ScannerMaster or something if I want to listen in.

nexus

There are cheaper places to buy from, but yeah a new scanner is required. My advice, DON'T buy a PRO-96. Its out of date, won't handle the new 700mhz trunking systems that are going up. Either a Uniden BCD396T or the new GRE PSR500 (which technically is who makes Realistic PRO scanners) to handle the new systems.

Kegan30317

There are cheaper places to buy from, but yeah a new scanner is required. My advice, DON'T buy a PRO-96. Its out of date, won't handle the new 700mhz trunking systems that are going up. Either a Uniden BCD396T or the new GRE PSR500 (which technically is who makes Realistic PRO scanners) to handle the new systems.

Thanks again. I'm gonna start poking around for some equipment.

bassmkenk2508

Yea, I have a a Pro-96. I don't even use it. I say the only reason to have one (esp. in an area with 700 trunking) would be a secondary scanner to hear 800 trunking systems along with a primary system (main scanner) simultaneously. Yet, that is probably worthy of another thread; apologies, hehe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.