Gulf Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunjerry

So in June I will be going to ft Walton Beach Florida by way of mobile Alabama. I have never had any interest in marine monitoring but I am going to program each ch into my scanner. The reason so I can still hear the other public safety traffic. I will try to keep a log of what I hear and the frequencies. Any questions,thoughts or ideas? Jerry

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
You will find the GC alive on Marine Band, especially during summer! Lot of yachting along the ICW (Though they do talk more on Ham than Marine they do have to keep in contact with other traffic), lots of traffic into and out of the Port of Mobile, and all around the Florida coastlines! Lot of shrimpin/crabbin along the coast, and yes, you want the USCG LMR, and UHF nets in. Just remember that USCG does go fully encrypted when doing interdiction activities now on the LMR. And yes you do get some cruise line traffic (Carnival Fantasy), but its not as active as say NOLA or Miami. And once closer to FL, you can start hearing USN if they are doing exercises in the Gulf, or cruising to or from Pensacola NAS.... Busy areas for Commercial Craft: Biloxi/Gulfport, Mobile, NOLA, Pensacola, then further along the FL line.

Also, keep an weather eye open ya land lubber! Though Tropical fun is usually later in the season for the Gulf, sometimes you do get early blows.

On the AFRRN, most LE is full time E down there, as are a lot of the LE on other TRSs and conventional... Mobile is transitioning from the EDACS PV, to P25... Not sure just how much E they will run yet, but being AL and on the GC, a LOT wouldn't surprise me. And you're in crap shoot in FL for LE lol... Also remember they are NOT scanner mobile friendly in FL so much. If you are an Ham, keep that ticket in the open once in FL.

Last edited by a moderator:

cajunjerry

Thanks MILF, I usually only listen to public safety
But for some reason, I want to listen to the marine band. I guess just something new. When I worked for the United States forest service I was in Michigan right on Lake Huron and never thought about the marine band.

cajunjerry

MILF , reading back over your amazing post to me . Do you think it would be worth my time to enter the frequencies of carnival cruise ship?

I have sent Bill the one who has the cruise ship frequencies an email. But no reply from him. Hope he will see this lol

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
MILF , reading back over your amazing post to me . Do you think it would be worth my time to enter the frequencies of carnival cruise ship?

I have sent Bill the one who has the cruise ship frequencies an email. But no reply from him. Hope he will see this lol

Better program them in as both conventional analog, and DMR... And look for DMR TRS possibilities onboard. Most of the Carnival fleet is or has transitioned to DMR.

Last data on the Fantasy was in 2006, over 10 years ago...
Fantasy 467.8000 R 457.5750 I 94.8 Hz Ch.01 Bridge 03.12.2006
Fantasy 467.5000 S D-023
Info from: Cruise Ship & Maritime Frequencies

Last edited by a moderator:

ecps92

Not all have gone DMR, there are still many in the Carnival Fleet running Analog.

However as MILF indicates, put them in for both Modes.
And do share what you find, so as to update the web page.

With all the recent DMR reports now including Slot, TG and CC, my project this year is to re-write that Frequency Page to better indicate the DMR TG's.

All appear to be Conventional DMR no Trunking, which is good.

If you have access, go to Scanner Digest Newsletter
there were two issues I wrote for on Maritime/Cruise Monitoring.

Better program them in as both conventional analog, and DMR... And look for DMR TRS possibilities onboard. Most of the Carnival fleet is or has transitioned to DMR.

Last data on the Fantasy was in 2006, over 10 years ago...
Fantasy 467.8000 R 457.5750 I 94.8 Hz Ch.01 Bridge 03.12.2006
Fantasy 467.5000 S D-023
Info from: Cruise Ship & Maritime Frequencies

ecps92

Reply coming this weekend...was away in 941 for a little VAC :D

SM166

Many years ago when the Low band was open there was a Marine Company which Tx to ships around the world 35-37 Megs ?
hi powered some of the ships could also be heard - seems it was before SATComs
anybody know if the service is operable ?

ecps92

SM166

Nope not WOO/WLO may have been a private shipping company freq; it was in FM maybe 31-32 megs and the base was somewhere along the Gulf States - there are international channel assignments for marine interests in the "low Band"
just wish I could remember the company Freq
several times over the years ships where warned about pirates - may have been off the coast of Africa.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.