Guy wire(s) needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FPO703

I currently have my discone antenna on the top of my porch on a 10 foot mast with a Radio Shack 3 foot 3 leg tripod mount. I want to raise the antenna above the peak of the roof. I can either put the tripod mount on the peak of the roof (not very easy on this roof, no access to it), or, I can add a 2nd 10 foot mast to the current confguration. My question is do I need guy wires in the case of high winds? Or, should it be fine as is?

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
FPO703 said:
I currently have my discone antenna on the top of my porch on a 10 foot mast with a Radio Shack 3 foot 3 leg tripod mount. I want to raise the antenna above the peak of the roof. I can either put the tripod mount on the peak of the roof (not very easy on this roof, no access to it), or, I can add a 2nd 10 foot mast to the current confguration. My question is do I need guy wires in the case of high winds? Or, should it be fine as is?
20 ft on a tripod mount - I say you need guy wires to be on the safe side, although I have not used a tripod mount, so that's somewhat of a "be on the safe side" opinion on my part.

Dave

hoser147

You dont have a chimney or eave that you can use. At 20 ft of mast I would also be on the safe side with snow and Ice and wind, it would be a good investment.......Hoser

FPO703

At the current 10 feet, even with that massive, nasty ice/wind storm that hit my area last month, it had no problems. The antenna didn't budge. That's why I was thinking about putting 20 feet of antenna mast. Maybe 15 would be good. I just want enough to get the antenna above the peak of the roof so I can pick up Canada. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.