GV Ice Rescue, as paged

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
GREENWOOD VILLAGE, Colo. -- A Toyota Prius landed in an ice-covered pond in Greenwood Village on Friday morning.
Video from Airtracker 7 showed a red car in the middle of a shallow pond. Water there appeared to be about three to four feet deep.
The driver was taken to the hospital, but that person's injuries were unknown, according to Becky O'Guin with the South Metro Fire Rescue.

The South Metro dive team searched the water to make sure there are no other people in the pond.
The pond is in a green-belt area between an office building and the intersection of Greenwood Plaza Boulevard and East Orchard Road.

Picture: TheDenverChannel.com - Image

Warbirdhunter

I feel bad for the lady. I also am curious how she drove into that pond. Not an easy thing to do. I also had no idea it was deep enough to conceal a car except it's roof. Yikes!

blacksalt

Premium Subscriber
OMG! What an incredible capture. How do we thank these men and women for the jobs they do?

I should probably explain that a "capture" is a photographic image. Sorry.

Last edited:

lazierfan

Feed Provider
I feel bad for the lady. I also am curious how she drove into that pond. Not an easy thing to do. I also had no idea it was deep enough to conceal a car except it's roof. Yikes!
In my recent memory, myself working in the Tech Center since the mid-1990's, The area does not have traditional street lighting of an office park. This was immediately behind a very brightly-lit King Soopers. Very easy for an elderly person to become disoriented. This is the third pond incident in the past 5-6 years. The first I remember, a covering of fresh snow, and intersections too ADDA-friendly (Wide sidewalks with no curbs at the intersection), the driver got confused and drove the sidewalk/mall area straight into the water.

In this case, Police re-created the scene; a driveway aimed straight at the pond, then a small turn-around. She missed the turn-around and went over a curb and small berm then into the water.

The driver has died due to the cold. EMS oonscene said her head was above water when she was found.

Warbirdhunter

In my recent memory, myself working in the Tech Center since the mid-1990's, The area does not have traditional street lighting of an office park. This was immediately behind a very brightly-lit King Soopers. Very easy for an elderly person to become disoriented. This is the third pond incident in the past 5-6 years. The first I remember, a covering of fresh snow, and intersections too ADDA-friendly (Wide sidewalks with no curbs at the intersection), the driver got confused and drove the sidewalk/mall area straight into the water.

In this case, Police re-created the scene; a driveway aimed straight at the pond, then a small turn-around. She missed the turn-around and went over a curb and small berm then into the water.

The driver has died due to the cold. EMS oonscene said her head was above water when she was found.

Nope not near the King Soopers It's across the street from the Shell gas station as you go east bound on Orchard from I-25. They had the same thing happen a few years ago at Bellevue and DTC. There is a pond right behind Ya Ya's that an elderly driver thought was a parking lot. A waiter from the restraunt got her out I believe. Sorry to hear she passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.