Gwinnett P-25 revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
I feel your pain! When I moved to this area (Raleigh) about 1.5 years ago, there were only a couple of TGs that were ENC. Now dozens are, and more each month it seems.

Unfortunately that's the way things are going. With P25, it's much easier and the audio is clearer than encrypting analog audio.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Yep this is the trend now, i am wondering how far Gwinnett will go with this

Premium Subscriber
I understand that Gwinnett will be identical to Hall county..... hope that information is wrong. :(

N8IAA

I understand that Gwinnett will be identical to Hall county..... hope that information is wrong. :(

Just for fun this evening, I loaded Hall back into the 96. I got a quick clear voice TG. Put it on pause and heard only the one person. It was a TG that was new to my personal database. I have 48 TG's with only ten that I confirmed before they went encrypted. Won't even go on about what encryption says about BIG GOVERNMENT and our supposed security. I used to participate in A.R.E.S. here in Gwinnett. Homeland Security started handing down SOPs for what, where, and how we were to respond. Needless to say, that was the end of my involvement with a great group of guys and gals who love the amateur radio service.
Larry

It's funny that in my other hometown (Washington DC) our police, fire, etc arent encrypted. But in the big nationally important counties of Hall and Gwinnett, they are.

Big fish in little ponds. I guess the Pentagon and D.C are less important than, say, Murrayville and the chicken plants.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Motherola wines and dines them, get's them to pay EXTRA for the encryption, and then flaunts it to other agencies to say "look at their secured network".

N8IAA

It's funny that in my other hometown (Washington DC) our police, fire, etc arent encrypted. But in the big nationally important counties of Hall and Gwinnett, they are.

Big fish in little ponds. I guess the Pentagon and D.C are less important than, say, Murrayville and the chicken plants.

My guess is that they are funding it with all the money confiscated in drug busts. SPLOST will not get my vote again. Thank God, Forsyth doesn't encrypt, or I'd be bored to death.
Larry

Premium Subscriber
Did any one read the Gainesville times article about Hall county selling capacity to nearby counties ?? Here's the link : http://www.gainesvilletimes.com/news/article/8016/

I know that Jackson and White county are working hard to join this system ( sigh) when will folks get the "encryption" bug out of there system.

N8IAA

Did any one read the Gainesville times article about Hall county selling capacity to nearby counties ?? Here's the link : http://www.gainesvilletimes.com/news/article/8016/ I know that Jackson and White county are working hard to join this system ( sigh) when will folks get the "encryption" bug out of there system.

Hall has a tower in White county to cover the north part of the county. I don't see how Jackson will fund enought towers to get it up and running. The most the SO has to do is watch around the outlet mall and on 85. I know they were trying to sweet talk Dawson too.

Larry

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Don't necessarily bank that the outlying counties will go encrypted. If they can't afford the $$$ for the encryption modules, they can still simply go P25.

N8IAA

Lots of activity today. New TGID's and new voice frequencies (combination in the clear and encyrpted). I'm running Pro96com. I truly wish that there was another digital scanner in my shack to monitor voice while running the other software.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.