Gwinnett PD vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8IAA

Early this morning, I saw a GCPD vechicle the size of a regular FD engine near where I reside. It was not the mobile comm vehicle. There were other PD vehicles and Eng 14 in the area of Hwy 20 and PIB. Nothing on the news when I got home. I'm just wondering if anyone has a clue what the large PD vehicle is.
TIA,
Larry

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Is it possible to describe it a bit more? I know of a few larger vehicles they own, but don't want to shoot out dumb sounding guesses.

N8IAA

Size of a FD engine. Storage compartments on both sides. Extended cab. Thought it might have been EOD. It was dark and it stayed to far ahead of me to get any better description. Blue flashing lights on the rear below the tail lights.
Larry

N8IAA

Wasn't BATF, Mike. It plainly said GCPD on the vehicle. Found out from a friend that SWAT was staging at a gas station close to where the truck turned. Traffic was being detoured, and the FD engine was staged across the street. Missed seeing the SWAT truck when I went past the scene right after my friend. Never heard anything on the news. Had heard Eng 14 being paged out, but never heard why.
Larry

KK4DUY

Wasn't BATF, Mike. It plainly said GCPD on the vehicle. Found out from a friend that SWAT was staging at a gas station close to where the truck turned. Traffic was being detoured, and the FD engine was staged across the street. Missed seeing the SWAT truck when I went past the scene right after my friend. Never heard anything on the news. Had heard Eng 14 being paged out, but never heard why.
Larry

Might it have been one of those mobile DUI labs? I've seen them down in Florida (US19 between Spring Hill and Clearwater) - they look like a cross between a bus, fire engine, and swat van.

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
This sounds like their main EOD truck. At Gwinnett PD EOD is part of SWAT and routinely responds with SWAT for the use of the robot.
EOD and SWAT actually have several large vehicles including box type trucks, armored vehicles both old and new, and large EOD type trucks and trailers. A few of them are unmarked but have obvious emergency lights mounted.

N8IAA

Wasn't the EOD truck. Paint scheme made it look like it was FD, but labeled as Gwinnett County Police. Multiple blue lights front, back, sides and top. It was the size of a FD engine, but setup with multiple compartments on each side. There had been a SWAT incident in that area at the time I saw the vehicle. SWAT was deployed in a gas station where the truck turned. I have not seen it around since.
Larry

N8IAA

Might it have been one of those mobile DUI labs? I've seen them down in Florida (US19 between Spring Hill and Clearwater) - they look like a cross between a bus, fire engine, and swat van.

The mobile DUI lab in Gwinnett is really cool, but not even close in size to what I saw.
Larry

N8IAA

Off topic, but since I'm the original poster:wink:, Special Ops was running radar in the same area. One of the most congested areas in North Gwinnett (Hwy 20 near PIB). One of the Special Ops cars had the license plate cameras on it. A few customers on the eastbound side:) If GCPD wasn't encrypted, it would have been a cinch to know what was going on.
Larry

Last edited:

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
Wasn't the EOD truck. Paint scheme made it look like it was FD, but labeled as Gwinnett County Police. Multiple blue lights front, back, sides and top. It was the size of a FD engine, but setup with multiple compartments on each side. There had been a SWAT incident in that area at the time I saw the vehicle. SWAT was deployed in a gas station where the truck turned. I have not seen it around since.
Larry

Was this it?

Experience | New Deliveries | Inside Pierce Manufacturing

Pictures on the bottom right.

They have multiple EOD and SWAT trucks, the link above is of the newest EOD engine body.

roadranger

Wow!

Why wouldn't they store that @ a firehouse? have you guys seen Rockdale's truck?

Attachments

• 108.jpg
    108.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,195

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
The Rockdale truck is a mobile command post and can operate as a remote 911 center in case theirs is destroyed or is otherwise inoperable.

Gwinnett has multiple command vehicles and a mobile crime lab....although none are as large as that beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.