• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

H E L P ! ! ! Question About LSB & USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

redmonds

I have recently purchased a YAESU VR-500. I have had a VR-120 for the past 8 years and wanted to upgrade to a different radio with more options. My question is, I now have a radio with LSB & USB capabilities, but I'm not exactly sure what to do with it. Can someone explain or point me in the right direction so I can learn about these? I have heard a little bit along the way in regard to CB talkers using LSB & USB in order to get out further. H E L P ! ! !

Last edited:

fineshot1

I have recently purchased a YAESU VR-500. I have had a VR-120 for the past 8 years and wanted to upgrade to a different radio with more options. My question is, I now have a radio with LSB & USB capabilities, but I'm not exactly sure what to do with it. Can someone explain or point me in the right direction so I can lean about these? I have heard a little bit along the way in regard to CB talkers using LSB & USB in order to get out further. H E L P ! ! !

If you are just programing vhf & uhf freqs into memory then you can forget about them as
you will never use those modes. If you are programing some hf utility freqs then you may
need to set them up using one of these modes.

Single-sideband modulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Utility World

N0IU

Amateur radio voice communications are almost entirely carried out using LSB or USB. There are a few crusty old die-hards out that that still use AM and a growing number of hams are using digital voice, but SSB is by far the mode of choice. For 160, 80 and 40 meters, voice communications will be LSB and 60, 20, 17, 15, 12 and 10 meters use USB. Another reason to monitor using SSB is that most of the amateur digital modes use USB with the one notable exception being RTTY which is LSB. (Some of the more sophisticated amateur rigs actually have a RTTY mode which is too detailed to get into here, but you can still monitor the RTTY on LSB regardless of how it is transmitted)

Clear as mud, eh?

Last edited:

W2NJS

Here's some more condensed info you may find helpful. A normal AM radio signal consists of a carrier, an upper sideband, and a lower sideband. The intelligence is contained in the sidebands, so the carrier gets a free ride and takes up unnecessary bandwidth. The LSB or USB transmitting process suppresses the carrier and one of the sidebands, and this results in a signal with a much, much narrower bandwidth requirement which saves spectrum space, among other things. The books you can get from ARRLWeb: ARRL Home Page do a good job of explaining about this kind of stuff.

Tom, W2NJS

SkipSanders

Silent Key
There is a small amount of VHF/UHF SSB on amateur frequencies, but it's pretty minimal, compared to NFM voice.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You've apparently never worked a band opening, for DX CW and SSB are where all the action is. FYI, narrowbanding doesn't affect frequency agile hams, our bands are not channelized so we'll be using standard FM +/- 5KHz deviation for the foreseeable future.

DickH

I have recently purchased a YAESU VR-500. I have had a VR-120 for the past 8 years and wanted to upgrade to a different radio with more options. My question is, I now have a radio with LSB & USB capabilities, but I'm not exactly sure what to do with it. Can someone explain or point me in the right direction so I can learn about these? I have heard a little bit along the way in regard to CB talkers using LSB & USB in order to get out further. H E L P ! ! !

Since you are not familiar with those terms, LSB and USB,.they are the Upper Side Band (USB) and Lower Side Bands (LSB) of an AM signal (Amplitude Modulation). SSB is the entire mode, Single Side Band.

Last edited:

redmonds

T h a n k s

Thanks to everyone. This is really helping me to understand what I have been missing out on. It is still going to take me some time to figure this thing out though. Last night I plugged the CB frequency range into my scanner and set it for USB. This is going to be a long weekend for me and I will have some extra time to play with this. Anyone have any other suggestions on another areas to play with where I might be guaranteed to get some action at?

Thanks,

LostSignal

sooooo, SSB for CB is legal in the U.S. then?

First off, sorry to revive an old thread, but even old threads need to be rejuvinated instead of starting ANOTHER thread of the same/similar questions!!! I think most people would agree with that?

Anyways, I think I understand SSB for CB usage and IF you have a CB that has SSB capability:
1) You would use either the LSB or USB for that particular channel then. Again, assuming your CB radio has that capability?

2) So, IF your CB has that capability, is LSB and/or USB on ALL of the 40channels or just some of the CB channels?

3) Finally, whether LSB or USB, you can legally output slightly more wattage, I believe it is about 12W max for either LSB or USB, correct?

I do NOT know how to better ask the questions? Thank you for your input people.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It's been a number of years since I did SSB on CB, however at least when I did it, only channels 16 and 36-40 were being used (legally) in SSB. Yes I believe the rules still allow 12w PEP on SSB - of course when you go freeband (above channel 40) all bets are off :.>> Mike

krokus

Premium Subscriber
First off, sorry to revive an old thread, but even old threads need to be rejuvinated instead of starting ANOTHER thread of the same/similar questions!!! I think most people would agree with that?

Anyways, I think I understand SSB for CB usage and IF you have a CB that has SSB capability:
1) You would use either the LSB or USB for that particular channel then. Again, assuming your CB radio has that capability?

2) So, IF your CB has that capability, is LSB and/or USB on ALL of the 40channels or just some of the CB channels?

3) Finally, whether LSB or USB, you can legally output slightly more wattage, I believe it is about 12W max for either LSB or USB, correct?

I do NOT know how to better ask the questions? Thank you for your input people.

You may use SSB on any channel, but 36 to 40 is where the serious operators hang out. If you use SSB anywhere else, you are likely to be interfered with, by AM users, who have no idea you are there.

You are correct about the power, 12W PEP is allowed.

Sent via Tapatalk

LostSignal

WOW

It's been a number of years since I did SSB on CB, however at least when I did it, only channels 16 and 36-40 were being used (legally) in SSB. Yes I believe the rules still allow 12w PEP on SSB - of course when you go freeband (above channel 40) all bets are off :.>> Mike

Thanks so much for the quick reply!!! I've been wanting to try SSB for quite some time now, but want to do it legally! I LOVE my walls NOT to be less that 5ftx5ft :) Finally, believe me, I TRIED "googl ing" my information and even a "thread search", but was NOT having very much luck until I found this thread by chance and it seemed to be somewhat similar to my questions, but my quesitons were a bit more specific! Maybe, by my asking/posting and you replying, it will answer someones questions in the future!!! Thank you again Mike for your help!

LostSignal

LOL, damn you guys are AWESOME!!!

You may use SSB on any channel, but 36 to 40 is where the serious operators hang out. If you use SSB anywhere else, you are likely to be interfered with, by AM users, who have no idea you are there.

You are correct about the power, 12W PEP is allowed.

Sent via Tapatalk

I just replied to Mike's reply, send, another reply, LOL!!! You guys are AWESOME!!! It is very much appreciated for sure!!! As my knowledge expands in the radio world, I am definitely the type to teach the new guys. :) I know enough to be "dangerous", but still have LOTS of inexperience for sure!!! Again, thank you people!!!

Comp-100

When i did CB 35-40 were often used for SSB, but since SSB existed long before 40 channel radios existed so of course SSB within the original 23 channels was used often. Other than staying off of 19 an and channel 9 we just used a free channel. Each region had sort of local AM chat and call channels that one would avoid by just agreement. By the same token, there were popular SSB channels in the lower 23 that AM operators tried to avoid, but can't remember what ther were in my region. Of course extra 'a', 'high', and 'low' channels were very popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.