Hacker illegally activates Brunswick emergency sirens

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
One of RR's members was recently inquiring on how those systems worked, and what tone codes were used.

kc8rak

If that person lives in Ohio/Near Brunswick then maybe that info needs to be passed onto the pd. There pretty mad it sounds like.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"Police said they interviewed several people of interest in March."

Yeah, whackers are "people of interest"... to some. (;->)

KE0SKN

KE0SKN - Member
Premium Subscriber
The police/fire/OEM need to update the radio on the siren to a APO25 Encrypted so that no one can turn on the siren. Its not hard to turn on a open suelech siren with tones. just record the tones on a tape player on a test day and then take the tape press play and put up next to your radio and see the sirens turn on. I bet this is how they did it.

Last edited:

43g70

Have you a tones over P25 or any digital? They get distorted and sound like a sick cow. I don't think they be decoded correctly.

You have to do call alert or page alert, which can still be broken once you know the number.

The police/fire/OEM need to update the radio on the siren to a APO25 Encrypted so that no one can turn on the siren. Its not hard to turn on a open suelech siren with tones. just record the tones on a tape player on a test day and then take the tape press play and put up next to your radio and see the sirens turn on. I bet this is how they did it.

SCPD

QRT
Fire Siren

That has got to so annoying hearing the siren go off! I know how it feels. Ilive right in back of one!!!!

ads47

Premium Subscriber
There a huge difference between sending tones over digital P25 (which doesnt work) and sending a call alert. Going to the extreme of encrypting a siren alert is way over board when there are many other very secure and substantially cheaper ways to do it. I would have serious concerns of anyone looking around for frequency and tone information for sirens. If they have the legal right to set them off then obtaining that information would be very easy. What use would anyone else have. Let me guess they are just curious and want to listen to the tones on there scanner?

ads

btritch

Whatever the case, Somebody is going to be in a LOT of TROUBLE when they're caught..IF they're caught, Glad it's not me, Our sirens here, The frequency's are in the database but I'm not sure how they work or how they're activated.. I'm not really worried about it though.. LOL

hoser147

Hopefully they will get caught and hit with a bunch of charges, and billed for the investigation time and any other financial damage that was caused, IE First responders being activated and that sort of thing. Its kinda like Cryin wolf. If it was a prank someone will brag about it or tell the story and It will come around full circle...............Hoser

KC0QNB

There a huge difference between sending tones over digital P25 (which doesnt work) and sending a call alert. Going to the extreme of encrypting a siren alert is way over board when there are many other very secure and substantially cheaper ways to do it. I would have serious concerns of anyone looking around for frequency and tone information for sirens. If they have the legal right to set them off then obtaining that information would be very easy. What use would anyone else have. Let me guess they are just curious and want to listen to the tones on there scanner?

ads
It could have been a simple two tone sequential.

Tommahawk

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to do this. All it takes is someone with a computer loaded with the tones needed hooked up to a radio on their particular siren activation frequency ...........

I remember a few years ago when I was still a PSAP Telecommunicator someone selecting all the sirens for a particular radio zone to be activated (We have 8 different radio zones, 83 Fire Companies) while just simulating a dispatch and accidentally sending the tones.... Once you start sending the tones it doesn't stop until it is done.....

btritch

We've got 12 sirens here in the city and they're divided up on two different frequencies, 6 on each one, Part of town on one and part of town on the other, The ironic thing is though.. The output on one is 156 mhz and the output on the other is 159 mhz but the input to that one is the same as the output on the other one, 156 something, Not sure how that would work but anyways.. I'm not worried about, Don't plan on doing this ANYTIME, soon or in the future.. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.