HackRF One & unitrunker

Status
Not open for further replies.

elliottn

Has anyone been able to get unitrunker to use a HackRF? I just got a hackRF one in today and I'm having a dog of a time trying to get it to work. I've only tried under windows so far. Unitrunker doesn't recognize it at all and sdr# so far has spit out nothing but static. I'm starting to wonder if I got a DOA unit.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Has anyone been able to get unitrunker to use a HackRF? I just got a hackRF one in today and I'm having a dog of a time trying to get it to work. I've only tried under windows so far. Unitrunker doesn't recognize it at all and sdr# so far has spit out nothing but static. I'm starting to wonder if I got a DOA unit.

Cart before horse. Until you can get clear audio out of HackRF+SDR#, it isn't wise to spend time trying to use Unitrunker with it.

I don't have a HackRF and have never used one. Get it working in SDR# first. Then you'll have to use VB Cable or Virtual Audio Cable to pipe the audio output from SDR# into the virtual audio line. And you'll set up Unitrunker to use that same virtual audio line for its input.

Again though, no reason even thinking about Unitrunker until you verify that the HackRF is working. Set SDR# to FM mode and tune to a known frequency where FM activity occurs (like a NOAA weather broadcast if you are in the states) and see if you can hear it.

Mike

elliottn

Cart before horse. Until you can get clear audio out of HackRF+SDR#, it isn't wise to spend time trying to use Unitrunker with it.

I don't have a HackRF and have never used one. Get it working in SDR# first. Then you'll have to use VB Cable or Virtual Audio Cable to pipe the audio output from SDR# into the virtual audio line. And you'll set up Unitrunker to use that same virtual audio line for its input.

Again though, no reason even thinking about Unitrunker until you verify that the HackRF is working. Set SDR# to FM mode and tune to a known frequency where FM activity occurs (like a NOAA weather broadcast if you are in the states) and see if you can hear it.

Mike

Not helpful. I asked my question for a reason.

I have an existing unitrunker setup and was hoping to just drop in hackrf in place of the rtl-sdr's.
Unitrunker doesn't even recognize it as a input device.

The reception problem is something else I am looking at but at least SDR# is recognizing it as an input device.

Again my question: Has anyone gotten unitrunker and HackRF to work? If so I would like to bend your ear on what you had to do.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Not helpful. I asked my question for a reason.

I have an existing unitrunker setup and was hoping to just drop in hackrf in place of the rtl-sdr's.
Unitrunker doesn't even recognize it as a input device.

The reception problem is something else I am looking at but at least SDR# is recognizing it as an input device.

Again my question: Has anyone gotten unitrunker and HackRF to work? If so I would like to bend your ear on what you had to do.

Ok how about this. It isn't about "getting" the HackRF to work. Direct "connection" of a HackRF is not supported. Airspys and certain RTL dongles are supported. Unitrunker - righthand column.

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Actually, I take that back - just be scanning the Unitrunker Google Group, it seems that the in-development version of Unitrunker may support a HackRF.

And if that is the case, you might want to consider posting to the Google Group and post your problem there. I'm sure Rick reads the threads in this forum, as do others, but if HackRF is supported it's in the dev version and I'd guess you might run into better support in the official Unitrunker group.

groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/unitrunker

Mike

elliottn

Actually, I take that back - just be scanning the Unitrunker Google Group, it seems that the in-development version of Unitrunker may support a HackRF.

And if that is the case, you might want to consider posting to the Google Group and post your problem there. I'm sure Rick reads the threads in this forum, as do others, but if HackRF is supported it's in the dev version and I'd guess you might run into better support in the official Unitrunker group.

groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/unitrunker

Mike

This was very helpful.

I found the page that indicated it wasn't supported late last night and I would have to use the audio method. So I ordered an airspy unit which is supported.

I am trying to replace 8 cheap SDR's with 2Mhz channel width with one that can see all 4Mhz of a trunked system. HackRF easily can handle that but isn't supported. Airspy has a 6-10 (depending on model) channel width which would fit my needs. The reason for the change, I've found that too many SDR's puts too much of a current load on a powered USB hub so they have to broken out to 2-3 powered usb hubs. They get really fenicky on which ports they are plugged into from there. That and I'm using splitters to the antenna which isn't ideal and I'm too cheap to get multiplexers. So I'm trying to end all that by going to a single dongle that can have multiple VFO's.

Also I got my reception problem sorted. It was just a gain issue.

jbeen

Feed Provider
Hi elliottn.

The HackRF should be supported in the Unitrunker version 2 Preview release, available from the Google group.
I'd encourage you to give that a whirl. (just backup your .xml files before installing the new versions.)

Rick (the Unitrunker author) has indicated he no long reads the RR forums, now only using the Google group for support.

Regards,
Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.