Hackrf + RF PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrxBurrito

Premium Subscriber
I have been trying to find and understand the correct information about this. I purchased a mini circuits amplifier thinking it was something else. I ended up with a Medium Power amplifier ZHL-1042. My interest was to purchase an LNA and ended up with a PA. My questions are the following:

I have been told this PA will also provide gain in RX, Is this correct?

I have been told this unit could damage the hackrf because the output is power of the PA is +20 dBm and the receive maximum on the hackrf is -5 dBm or 10 dBm with the on-board RX amplifier disabled. Not being an RF engineer this is the part that I fail to understand. Why or how would the output from the PA affect the RF input of the hackrf? Is the power amplification bi-directional?

One of the reasons I fail to understand this and I am sure not being knowledgeable I could very well be incorrect. But I have seen posts on other sites of people using the LPA1C kit which supposedly outputs 1/2 - 1 Watt which would be 30 dBm (correct?) to drive other amplifiers to TX. Why would this PA that outputs only almost 24 dbm max could damage the unit?

My interest is only to gain on the RX I have no interest in transmitting. I have the PA in hand and would hate to go and resell and buy something else if it is not completely necessary.

Any information that could perhaps point me in the right direction to understand this would be greatly appreciated.

SCPD

QRT
Wiring the amp's output to your HackRF's RF input would be like someone yelling in your ear. It could make your HackRF go deaf.

It isn't the appropriate tool for amplifying signals in the microvolt range.

MrxBurrito

Premium Subscriber
Unitrunker,

Thank for your prompt reply. Of that I am aware. My intention was not to wire the hackrf antenna input/output to the output of the PA. My is/was to connect the output of the hackrf to the input of the amplifier as I believe it should be. That's why I asked if, (I assume) connected correctly [hackrf rf out ---> pa input----> antenna] would provide any gain on RX.

If connected correctly or the way I described it. Why would it cause any damage to the hackrf?

Status
Not open for further replies.