Haiti Major Earthquake - Freqs And Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
According to the BBC, the country of Haiti has been hit by a major earthquake, measuring 7.3 on the Richter Scale. Does anyone have a list of HF disaster frequencies they would recommend for this part of the world?

73s

Ron

brandon

Database Admin
I would monitor the USCG freqs such as 5696, 8983, etc. During the Samoa earthquake I heard USCG aircraft on 8983 and 11202 kHz. I'm sure others will know of other freqs to monitor. Ham is another place to check... it was used during the Indonesia earthquake. COTHEN might be worth scanning too.

nermel

From Twitter: Haiti Earthquake Health & Welfare messages via Salvation Army Frequency 14.265 MHz (SATERN)

Might be nice if someone could stream this.

vabiro

Premium Subscriber
Haitian Earthquake Traffic and Streams

Hi all,

The earthquake in Haiti is quite obviously - even at this early point - shaping up to be a mammoth catastrophe.

Communications seems to be a major problem at this point and I suspect that the Amateur community is, or will be, setting up nets.

Off the top of my head, the 20m net on 14.300 might show some activity. Does anyone know of any other likely frequencies?

Does anyone know of, or are planning to, set up a stream of these nets?

Victor

vabiro

Premium Subscriber
Haitian Earthquake Streams

Anyone aware of any Internet streams of the HF traffic for support of the earthquake in Haiti?

I suspect Amateur Radio is going to have the potential to provide a great deal of the communication into and out of Haiti, and it would be interesting to monitor.

Victor

vabiro

Premium Subscriber
I just remembered the SATERN site and they are reporting all nets active including:

Full Alert for Hatti Earthquake Emergency. All nets active. 14.235 MHz Primary Daytime. 7265 and 3977.7 KHz evening and night

kj4idh

From SATERN.org

Full Alert for Hatti Earthquake Emergency. All nets active. 14.235 MHz Primary Daytime. 7265 and 3977.7 KHz evening and night.

Right now only hearing some ragchewing hams

scannerfreak

Database Admin
We had 3 threads going on for this. I merged all 3 and moved it to the News forum. This way we can keep the info all in one thread :)

vabiro

Premium Subscriber
We had 3 threads going on for this. I merged all 3 and moved it to the News forum. This way we can keep the info all in one thread :)

Great idea! Thanks.
EdKrom said:
7.130 LSB in Spanish

There should be some French language nets. I suspect the Red Cross will set up a link with Montreal to track survivor information. There is a large Haitian population in Montreal and Quebec in general. Being Francophones, and the Montreal connection, I would suspect we will see a lot of this kind of traffic in French.

I have checked the Red Cross sites, but I'm not seeing anything.

Victor

putnum

For those on Google Wave I have created a public wave titled Breaking News and Incidents. It contains live up to the minute information about major disasters and breaking news. I thought it would be good to post this here in case those would be interested. There are live images coming in posted as well.

Any luck with anybody finding online nets?

Thanks,
Adam

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
With VATF and CATF teams on the way, here's a question - what do they do for comms out-of-country? Do they take radios/portable repeaters licensed for/assigned to their home departments (Ffx County/LA County) and just use them sans license (or apply for a temporary emergency license in-country), or do they use the existing infrastructure? It seems to me the latter would be unwise especially in a situation like this where the function of the local infrastructure could be "seriously hampered" at best.

ecps92

Freq Coordination will lilkely be handled thru DoS and the local Embassy.

Most of the OCONUS Teams have FPP [Front Panel Programable] radios [VHF, UHF, 800]

With VATF and CATF teams on the way, here's a question - what do they do for comms out-of-country? Do they take radios/portable repeaters licensed for/assigned to their home departments (Ffx County/LA County) and just use them sans license (or apply for a temporary emergency license in-country), or do they use the existing infrastructure? It seems to me the latter would be unwise especially in a situation like this where the function of the local infrastructure could be "seriously hampered" at best.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
You operate to extent needed to provide protection / preservation of life.. Two sets of rules apply, Normal everyday licensed operation and emergency get the job done ask questions later.. In this case the emergency applies.

D

DaveNF2G

Haiti Earthquake Bulletin

Global ALE High Frequency Network (HFN) is now
on ALERT for Haiti earthquake Emergency / Disaster
Relief Communications (EMCOMM)

more information:
HIGH FREQUENCY NETWORK - COMMUNICATION CENTRE

====HFLINK SPECIAL BULLETIN==== 13 JAN 2010
Alert: Haiti Earthquake EMCOMM

HFN Pilot Stations are active and ready 24/7
for ALE calling, relay, and internet messages.

All operators are encouraged to participate in
the ALE Comm Centre live operator chat room
and activate Automatic Link Establishment radios
on the ALE channel frequencies:

HFN net (text/internet/sounding/calling)
3596.0 USB
7102.0 USB
10145.5 USB
14109.0 USB
18106.0 USB
21096.0 USB
24926.0 USB
28146.0 USB

HFL net (emcomm/voice/calling)
3791.0 USB
7185.5 USB
14346.0 USB
18117.5 USB
21437.5 USB
24932.0 USB
28312.5 USB

===========================
END OF BULLETIN
===========================
Bonnie Crystal, KQ6XA
International Emcomm Coordinator
Global ALE High Frequency Network

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
What little infrastructure was there previously is gone. Initial reports are that no back-up power is supplied to any transmission towers. I would assume all mobile operations with lots of gateways.

Status
Not open for further replies.