Hallicrafter radios in World War Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a handed-down, multi-generational Hallicrafter's S-20R that was my grandfther's. While not exactly a military radio, it definitely was in a war theatre.

My grandfather was a B-24 bombardier with the 8th Air force, station'd in Norwich, England. Somehow he acquired this receiver over there, where it graced his bomber crew's Quonset for the duration of his tour (30 missions.)

He told me of how they would use it to listen to the AM broadcasts, and what a moral booster it was.

Today it works just as perfectly as it must have then-- except the speaker is a little crack-ally - its 80 yrs old , after all.
Its of a long-gone Arte Deco design'd cabinet- speaking to a time of innocence before the world was plunged into chaos.
I have a set of replacement tubes for it, if it ever comes to needing them- but at least three of them, a 6K8, a 6H6 and the rectifier- a Type 80, must still date to Second World War, for they retain their marks "U.S Government Property"

Today I turn it one occasionally- carefully thru a Variac transfomer- Surprisingly, all the capacitors are original !, but I don't trust them at full voltages.

Years ago I would turn it on and tune the BBC, imagining my grandfather and his mates gathered about to listen to Glen Miller, or whatever the evening's programme's were, before they flew off the next morning to face a flak-filled Hell over Germany.

Lauri :sneaky:

Last edited by a moderator:

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
When I started work in the early 1970's I bought a Hallicrafters S-36A from a disposals shop. They cover 27-143MHz, and weighing 68lbs it took two guys to carry it out to my car. Somehow I struggled to carry it myself from the car to my bedroom.

I set it up on a bench with my other radio gear, and after some weeks noticed a distinct bow in the top of the bench, curiously centered where the S-36A sat :) Some bracing underneath at least stopped the gradual sinking.

Some interesting info at one of the links below. I always wondered where it came from and who used it down here.

http://www.antique-radios.net/radpix/halcrft/36aft.jpg
Hallicrafters S-36

The S-36 brought a smile :)

I have joked about our 'Junk Box' at my New Mexico lab- which was an actual small annex storage building; the repository of all things too good to discard or excess or....etc., but for all practical purposes- worthless. There are dusty treasures in that Black Widow spider infested trove that, I wear, date back to the 1940's.

The "S-36" didn't strike any chords, specifically, but the "27-143 MHz" did. There was one of those receivers in that dark, "Indiana Jones" warehouse- and one of our guys brought it back to daylight several years ago.

The radio was in pristine condition- almost as if it were used for one or two project, then boxed, and stored away against another day- one that never came. And like you described it Damien- it was one Mother-of-all-Boat Anchors ! -- heavy ?- no words for it !

A limited inquiry about how it came to be part of our 'treasures' revealed an interesting past. From what we could gather, it was used to scan- survey - the "Ultra High Frequencies" at the sites of atomic 'device' tests. Since telemetry - and maybe, just a maybe- even the detonation itself (no one would be clear on that point :cool:) - were done by radio, an active scanning was done constantly to insure clear frequenies. The S-36 seemed to have fill'd that role.

The S-36 was certainly a state-of-the-art receiver. I liked the chain of 'acorn' tubes that made up its RF stages- and tho not anywhere as niffy as solid state, it did have one big advantage- those tubes are EMP resistant.
It was, supposedly :cool: - after all,- used at atomic test sites.

For quite some time that radio sat in a corner of our Tech area- where it was given a new lease on life playing music from a Santa Fe Rock station-- that was, until some higher powers discovered it.

It disappeared - and only an equipment requisition form marked its passing.

Ah, but I can only speculate what a wonderful role it may be playing yet ! :)

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
Without a trolley available, I recall carrying it myself looking much like I was doing the "prisyadka" - look that up in your Funk & Wagnalls :)

Interesting re the use you outlined, and one of the links mention the Brits using them in WW2 to monitor German radar.

Given the weight, I wonder if they used them airborne - perhaps with a reduced bomb load :)

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber

WA8ZTZ

I have a handed-down, multi-generational Hallicrafter's S-20R that was my grandfther's. While not exactly a military radio, it definitely was in a war theatre.

My grandfather was a B-24 bombardier with the 8th Air force, station'd in Norwich, England. Somehow he acquired this receiver over there, where it graced his bomber crew's Quonset for the duration of his tour (30 missions.)

He told me of how they would use it to listen to the AM broadcasts, and what a moral booster it was.

Today it works just as perfectly as it must have then-- except the speaker is a little crack-ally - its 80 yrs old , after all.
Its of a long-gone Arte Deco design'd cabinet- speaking to a time of innocence before the world was plunged into chaos.
I have a set of replacement tubes for it, if it ever comes to needing them- but at least three of them, a 6K8, a 6H6 and the rectifier- a Type 80, must still date to Second World War, for they retain their marks "U.S Government Property"

Today I turn it one occasionally- carefully thru a Variac transfomer- Surprisingly, all the capacitors are original !, but I don't trust them at full voltages.

Years ago I would turn it on and tune the BBC, imagining my grandfather and his mates gathered about to listen to Glen Miller, or whatever the evening's programme's were, before they flew off the next morning to face a flak-filled Hell over Germany.

My uncle also had a Hallicrafters S-20R "Sky Champion" with him when he served in WWII in the Aleutans.
My father also served in that Theater, got pics somewhere of his Andrea shortwave set in his Quonset hut.
Would be interesting to know what programs they listened to. Sadly they aren't around to ask, that whole generation
has pretty much passed on.

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
My uncle also had a Hallicrafters S-20R "Sky Champion" with him when he served in WWII in the Aleutans.

Interesting you should say that. I've not long finished reading "The Thousand-Mile War" by Brian Garfield about that campaign.

A bleak and unforgiving environment, I can understand how the S-20R provided that glimpse of home to the servicemen there.

WA8ZTZ

Interesting you should say that. I've not long finished reading "The Thousand-Mile War" by Brian Garfield about that campaign.

A bleak and unforgiving environment, I can understand how the S-20R provided that glimpse of home to the servicemen there.

My uncle was at Dutch Harbor. My father was on Attu, the last island in the Aleutian chain.
According to my father, after control of the island was regained, the weather became the enemy.

.............Sadly they aren't around to ask, that whole generation
has pretty much passed on........

Isn't that the recurring theme thru out life ?... Too late we become wise listeners to all the tales of experience in our families.
But then too, these guys lived thru experiences that those who have never been in combat can hope to identify with- By that very lack of commonality, they keep their memories to themselves or talk only to others of the same stripe.

At least when the memories are still too fresh.

My grandfather was a good example. As a young girl at family gatherings, I loved to sit quietly in some obscured corner, listening to him talk with his peers- My father (also highly decorated; a Vietnam War aviator,) my uncles, great uncles- always talking in quiet tones about their experiences that no one like me could hope to comprehend- So I stayed quietly in the shadows, listening- and absorbing.

As the years passed, my grandfather changed- for now he wanted me to know his war experiences, and he was eager to tell them. His harsh horrors had soften'd with age - now the tales could be told- and I was like a sponge.

My father is still somewhat reluctant to talk to me of his war experiences - but that's changing. He knows me as Coyote-The Story Teller; and how I won't let his stories fade away unrepeated.

My brothers, Gulf War veterans- will talk of technical things to me (after all, they know what I've done for them with the military)- but nothing of the carnage..... Maybe when we reach into our 80's they will relate their stories to me- like their father, uncles and grandfather before them.

Every Memorial Day for the years when I am home in my mountains, I will drive up to the 10th Mountain Division Memorial on Tennessee Pass. At 10,400+ feet, its not unusual for there to be snow flurries in May- yet a handful of these old veterans of WW2 assembly there every year.
Its quite a moving experience.

I know this doesn't fit the scenario -- but how can the radios of World War Two be discussed without the mention of the veterans behind them ?

Token

When I started work in the early 1970's I bought a Hallicrafters S-36A from a disposals shop. They cover 27-143MHz, and weighing 68lbs it took two guys to carry it out to my car. Somehow I struggled to carry it myself from the car to my bedroom.
<<<<snip>>>>
Some interesting info at one of the links below. I always wondered where it came from and who used it down here.

You have to remember where and when the S-36 came from. That may help you get an idea, maybe, of the path it took to you and your area.

The S-36 was an update/upgrade to the S-27. And the S-36A was an update to the S-36. All 3 of these radios (and some of the other variants of each number) had the same basic coverage and capabilities. They were also VERY expensive for the day, generally they were used by deep pocket organizations vs private parties. Universities, research facilities, and most of all, gov/mil. The -27 and -36 very slightly predate US involvement in WW II. They were supplied in significant numbers to Allied forces though.

The -36A was introduced in either late 1941 or early 1942, about the time that the US got militarily involved in WW II (the original S-27 was introduced in 1940). And about the time that sales of these kinds of equipment’s to civilians in the US became almost non-existent. So very few were, originally, new, in civilian hands. They continued low rate, special application, production after the war, but again, not aimed at civilians. Almost all of these came into civilian hands as military or government surplus.

Before the first purpose built ESM / ELINT (Electronic Support Measures / Electronic Intelligence) receivers came about, things like the AN/APR-1 and AN/APR-4, something else had to be used to do the same jobs. In the early WW II days this was often repurposed civilian gear.

And so, in the early days of WW II some of the more common ESM / ELINT (then called RCM) gear found on a few specialized ships, submarines, and, mostly, aircraft, were Hallicrafters SX-28 (0.55 – 42 MHz) and S-27, S-27D (a slightly higher freq version of the S-27), S-36, S-36A (27.8 – 143 MHz), and S-37 (130 – 210 MHz) receivers as core parts, along with various pulse analyzers and panoramic displays, and a few low production custom receivers for higher freqs. Enemy search radars of the day were not often found above 600 MHz, and most (particularly if you exclude the German Wurzburg radars) were in the 60 – 220 MHz range.

Later the SX-28, S-36A, and S-37 were repackaged and given AN/ARR or AN/APR designations themselves and were still used beside the now purpose built gear, like the AN/APR-1 or -4 (capable of tuning from 40 MHz up to microwave freqs).

So a large number of SX-28 / S-36 / S-37 radios ended up in Europe and the South Pacific as part of the war effort and as surplus after the war. Initially they would have been military surplus under these conditions, but often they went from military to government use before being surplussed. So gear the military stopped using in the late 40’s or early 50’s sometimes did not make it to the surplus market until the 60’s or later.

In the US RBK models (this was a US Navy designation) are pretty common, and some (non-RBK models) are found in a specific FCC configuration.

My collection here has SX-28, S-36A, and S-37 next to both the AN/APR-1 and the AN/APR-4. I have early (S-27) and late models, as well as RBK models and one FCC model.

T!

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
Many thanks for the comprehensive info - much appreciated.

We had many monitoring sites and facilities around the country and elsewhere in WW2, so it most likely came from one of those.

OT but a while back I picked up an AWA (Amalgamated Wireless Australia) model AR8 receiver, one I first saw as a 5 year old. With a vivid imagination I thought it looked like the head of a robot, with the big eyes :)

AWA AR8/AT5

Attachments

• AWA_AR8.JPG
    AWA_AR8.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 11
An excellent history of the S-36 - Token.
It filled in a lot of blanks :)

.........continuing along that thread-

We had a couple crates of World War Two naval radar counter-measures stuff hidden away in our little annex warehouse. Being the curious squirrel, I had them taken out, opened and dusted off, much like the S-36A that I previously described.
Now, these radios are mysteries to me, tho its perfectly clear what there missions were- One was was an RDO receiver with its assorted wave traps-- the other, its companion (?) jamming transmitter, a TDY.
We had all the manuals, but my curiosity was how, where and why they were deployed.
Bikini/Cross Roads tests? their crates had certain tell-tale markings, but no one could say.....

- Anyone familiar with them ?

We only powered up the receiver; it had an assortment of plug-in tuning elements that allowed the unit to receive ~50 to 3500 MHz. Its front end used a 1N21 detector (yes, a diode) but it was surprisingly sensitive. With a small dish antenna we could DX all the lunch room microwave ovens on our mesa top. The TDY contained a mystery magnetron, but no one felt adventurous enuff to turn it on.

Token

We had a couple crates of World War Two naval radar counter-measures stuff hidden away in our little annex warehouse. Being the curious squirrel, I had them taken out, opened and dusted off, much like the S-36A that I previously described.

Now, these radios are mysteries to me, tho its perfectly clear what there missions were- One was was an RDO receiver with its assorted wave traps-- the other, its companion (?) jamming transmitter, a TDY.

We had all the manuals, but my curiosity was how, where and why they were deployed.

Bikini/Cross Roads tests? their crates had certain tell-tale markings, but no one could say.....

- Anyone familiar with them ?

We only powered up the receiver; it had an assortment of plug-in tuning elements that allowed the unit to receive ~50 to 3500 MHz. Its front end used a 1N21 detector (yes, a diode) but it was surprisingly sensitive. With a small dish antenna we could DX all the lunch room microwave ovens on our mesa top. The TDY contained a mystery magnetron, but no one felt adventurous enuff to turn it on.

The RDO receiver is the Navy version of the AN/APR-4 I mentioned in my previous post. In fact it uses the same tuning modules as the AN/APR-1 and AN/APR-4. The RDO was made by E. H. Scott (APR-1 and -4 were not made by Scott, but rather various other vendors). The RDO is a bit more fancy than the APR-4, a bit more versatile, and a bit larger.

I have an RDO in my collection, I have the associated RDP Pan adapter and the SPR-2 receiver, but am minus the RDJ Pulse An and the various matching antennas / wavetraps / switches, etc. I have been looking for the ancillary gear for years, slowly filling out the set.

As for TDY, could you mean the TDY-1 jammer? The TDY was a NRL (Naval Research Laboratory) development eventually serially built by General Electric. The TDY or, later, TDY-1 would have been used as part of a shipboard suite along with the RDO receiver. The TDY-1 worked from about 110 MHz to about 780 MHz using a noise jamming technique. The magnetron in the TDY-1 you saw should have been either the 5J29 or the 5J32. If it was just a TDY jammer, slightly less common, the frequency range would have been a bit narrower, more like 350 to 800 MHz. The TDY also had a receiver section, and could be used to augment the RDO in detection and monitoring of enemy signals.

The RDO concept eventually became, through many steps, the AN/WLR-1 (pre H model) used on Navy ships until the 1980's.

As to how and where the RDO and TDY were deployed, they were developed in 1943 and on many major fleet assets starting from about early-mid 1944 on. Carriers, battleships, cruisers, primary secondary ships (such as headquarters ships), and selected destroyers would have had the set or been in line to receive them during their next major rework. Most other newer combatants would (if things went according to plan) receive the RDO suite combined with a different jammer. But, because RDO was more expensive and slower to arrive in numbers, many ships got the APR-1 or APR-4 instead. Most often the APR-1 I think, possibly as these became available as the APR-4 replaced them (APR-1) in air use.

The RDO without the TDY (but possibly with APT jammers) would also have been on a few aircraft, specially configured PBY Catalinas, PB4Y Privateer, etc. But honestly, RDO in such an application would have been rare, with most aircraft using the APR-1 or APR-4 suites.

While they were in time for operations in the ETO / Atlantic, and were used there, they really shined in the Pacific, with fleet operations against the Japanese Navy in the last year+ of the war. ALong with "normal" Navy surface actions they participated in various amphibious operations, from ship monitoring and denying radar use to enemy land based radars in the late Island Hopping campaigns.

On a related note, if you would like a good background on the development of such systems in the US, including all of the radios / systems we have discussed so far, look for "The History of US Electronic Warfare" by Alfred Price, Vol 1 covers the period in question, Vol 2 and Vol 3 cover later developments. I wish it were more detailed, but it gives one a good starting point to research from.

T!

I wish it were more detailed, but it gives one a good starting point to research from....... T!

OMG- you gave more than enuff details, and the sources you cited will give me excellent places to take my inquiries further. I have an intern who loves my little research projects- and its now all hers- she'll love it- so will the guys back 'on the hill.' :) ..... smiles

I wish I could remember if it was a TDY or a TDY-1, but that escapes me. I will say that these sets now reside back in their crates- back in the "Indiana Jones" warehouse- and if it were within my powers I would say-

"You'll drive out there ?.... they're all yours !"

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
Token: you are a fount of knowledge on these - outstanding - thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.