Halloween Non-Party in the Castro/ SF

Status
Not open for further replies.

trooperdude

Database Admin
LOTS of nervous people in the city about the non-party with up to 1/4 million people expected to be in SF on the 31st.

Any talk groups, media or IG frequencies of particular interest ?

Good chance of an all-out riot this year after last year's multiple shooting at the
"controlled" event.

karldotcom

Is the SF violence really out of control? I see all the headlines, but I have talked to a bunch of people who insist its just media hype....and its the safest large city on the west coast.

rooivalk

karldotcom said:
Is the SF violence really out of control? I see all the headlines, but I have talked to a bunch of people who insist its just media hype....and its the safest large city on the west coast.

Not be a long shot. Safest city in No. Cal. is San Jose.

S.F. has a lot of crime problems, which has been (historically) linked to the D.A.'s Office lack of prosecutorial efforts.

Oakland's problems are neighborhood based, so most of the city is pretty safe. S.F. has a huge problem with "commuter criminals": out of town felons who don't fear prosecution, because S.F. doesn't prosecute a majority of crimes. In S.F., I'd avoid most of the downtown corridor, SOMA area, etc.

As for the Castro thing...I'd guess PD channels A3 & A4 (Mission Dist) and probably A9 as the event channel (channel dedicated to the Castro area only).

hardware1197

Premium Subscriber
I worked that detail last year. It was off the hook.

This year's planning is still underway:

PD-A3 and 4 will be active, but they will attempt to limit it to regular District traffic
PD-A9 and PD-A10 will be two separate commands, unknown which will be Castro Command
PD-A11 will be solos (motors) and the Hondas.

SO will have (2) 36 passenger buses for prisoners, and accompanying arrest/processing squads for the ESU. SO will have air operations weather permitting, fixed wing.

SO will also have 12 wagons assigned to the SFPD commands, an all time high for us.

Most SO traffic can be heard on SO-A16 and the air units will be on SO-A15 as well as logistical support.

-hardware1197
SFSD

trooperdude

Database Admin
karldotcom said:

It's localized. Like most major cities.

The projects, Hunter's point, and in cases like this event, I believe most of the arrests were of people who are not SF residents so it's imported crime.

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
hardware1197 said:
I worked that detail last year. It was off the hook.

Most SO traffic can be heard on SO-A16 and the air units will be on SO-A15 as well as logistical support.

-hardware1197
SFSD

Thanks for your service. I can't even imagine what it'd be like working at LE as SF.

What is an SF 'air unit'? I thought SF got rid of it's helicopter?

rooivalk

b52hbuff said:
Thanks for your service. I can't even imagine what it'd be like working at LE as SF.

What is an SF 'air unit'? I thought SF got rid of it's helicopter?

Loaner from CHP.

hardware1197

Premium Subscriber
Actually it's the "S.F. Sheriff's Air Squadron." most Sheriff's Department's "affiliate" with an air squadron. Usually wealthy civilian aircraft owners who have political tie$ to the Sheriff, in return for a badge and ID. After 9/11, these groups started participating in drills in the Bay Area (Golden Guardian, and recently Urban Shield) and have been especially active in SF. It's a civilian aircraft, which then operates under the FAA rules for a government aircraft when perfoming dudties of aerial observation. You will hear the "Idaho 42x" call sign being used. That is the FAA designator given the SF Sheriff's squadron. It's a couple of Cessna 210's, and I think one the guys has a 727!

trooperdude

Database Admin
I can't imagine with San Francisco's fog issues, that an air squadron would be that effective except for a few month's out of the year.

Smaller UAV's that could fly under the cloud cover would be a better/cheaper choice.

Of course you can't beat "free" air cover from a wealthy donor.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
hardware1197 said:
Actually it's the "S.F. Sheriff's Air Squadron." most Sheriff's Department's "affiliate" with an air squadron. Usually wealthy civilian aircraft owners who have political tie$ to the Sheriff, in return for a badge and ID. After 9/11, these groups started participating in drills in the Bay Area (Golden Guardian, and recently Urban Shield) and have been especially active in SF. It's a civilian aircraft, which then operates under the FAA rules for a government aircraft when perfoming dudties of aerial observation. You will hear the "Idaho 42x" call sign being used. That is the FAA designator given the SF Sheriff's squadron. It's a couple of Cessna 210's, and I think one the guys has a 727!

Yolo County has the same thing

www.yolosheriffsaerosquadron.com

They are Idaho 87.

hardware1197

Premium Subscriber
Comm Plan for Halloween Non Party Party

PD-A3 and 4 - Regular Mission District traffic
PD-A9 Mission Command
PD-A10 Alternate Event Command (Hondas-TAC)
SO-A15 Sheriff's ESU / Aircraft
SO-A16 Sheriff's Command

Supposedly the BART station will close at 2030 at 16th and Mission, which forces people to walk a long way to the Castro, as MUNI underground will shut down as well. BART PD might be a good listen around that time as they will have a bunch of officers picking people off at their stations who look intoxicated.

So far this look more expensive than just having the party....Over 600 ground troops between the PD and Sheriff for crowd control.

Last edited:

trooperdude

Database Admin
hardware1197 said:
So far this look more expensive than just having the party....Over 600 ground troops between the PD and Sheriff for crowd control.

Thanks for the talkgroups.

Ya, I think it would have been cheaper for the city to cordon it off, pass everybody through rented metal detectors and charge $5 a head.

They might break even.

Big_Ears

You never want to pick up a lady from those SF Halloween parties - no matter how good SHE looks. Or else you may be on for one heck of a big "SUPRISE".

Be Forewarned.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
San Francisco's Famous Halloween Party Cancelled

For those looking to party in San Francisco this Halloween, celebrations have been cancelled.

Unruly and violent crowds were the scene last year in the well-known Castro district. Some 600 police officers will be in the Castro to make sure there is no Halloween party in the streets.

"I think its going to be quite a mess, no matter what. No matter what it's going to turn into a mess," San Francisco resident, Troy Brunet said.

Many of the bars and restaurants will be shut down on Wednesday night to try and keep people away.

http://cbs13.com/local/local_story_302213909.html

hardware1197

Premium Subscriber
TGID Update

Here's the lastest, although the SFPD will change it about 2 hours before the event if history is any judge.

PD-A3 and 4 - Regular Mission District traffic
PD-A9 Mission Command
PD-A10 Alternate Event Command (Hondas-TAC)
SO-A10 Sheriff's Air Squadron <---new
SO-A15 Sheriff's ESU / Wagons
SO-A16 Sheriff's Command

hardware1197

Premium Subscriber
Check it!

HAHAHA! City hires PR firm so people WON'T come here:

http://homeforhalloween.com/

Here is an event on the list of alternatives:

Menopause the Musical
Wednesday, October 31, 7:30pm
Pier 39

Yah the Nortenos and Surenos will be all over that.

Last edited:

trooperdude

Database Admin
Also check out CHP Pink and the Blue.

CHP is supposed to have drunk driver checkpoints ringing the city all night.

PR firm to keep people away. I'm sure the merchants are so happy about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.