"ham" arrested in Asheville

Status
Not open for further replies.

unixfreak0037

Premium Subscriber
As far as I can tell, everything he was doing was lawful. It sure looks bad at first glance, but from what I've read, he just sounds like a real life Dwight from The Office. He even kind of looks like him.

And I'm sure it doesn't help that his last name is McVey. How unfortunate.

jackj

Unixfreak0037 appears to be correct. The article listed a whole bunch of stuff about him but nothing unusual for a ham. The article didn't say what he was charged with, only that he had police scanners and a (gasp) GUN. Is any of that against the law?

JPSan

There is a more detailed version of the story here...It appears he was one of those that made his car up to look like an unmarked PD car, dash mounted video camera, siren and LED light package..A definite LOSER WHACK job sign...read more here.....Armed Man Arrested at NC Airport as Obama Departs - ABC News

It is a shame that the "ham radio" aspect had to be brought into the story because of this loser.

Photo still looks like a little kid.

K

kb0nly

Joseph Sean McVey, 23, of Coshocton, Ohio, is charged with going armed in terror of the public, a misdemeanor, said Asheville Regional Airport Police Capt. Kevan Smith.

What the heck does that mean?? Going armed in terror of the public?? I have never heard that term before and can't find much on it google searching other than cases that others were charged with it.

Ok so he was a whacker... There is SOOO many of those these days who cares. 99% of them never do anything illegal, they are just a little off tilt. But this kid was in a public parking lot of the airport, i assume his intent was to watch the airplane take off. Seeing AF1 is quite a sight, not something you get to see all the time.

The only thing i can find he really did was to be driving without a valid license, and maybe not having a permit to carry a sidearm. But "in terror of the public"?? WTF....

Then this mention of scope calculations on a piece of paper? What does that even mean? Seems to me they are just reaching for reasons to keep him in jail. I'm not defending him being a whacker with his whackermobile, but there is a fine line between the law and harassment these days.

Zagadka

What the heck does that mean?? Going armed in terror of the public?? I have never heard that term before and can't find much on it google searching other than cases that others were charged with it.

NC is an "open-carry" state meaning you can legally carry a sidearm as long as it's displayed in the open for all to see (as opposed to "concealed") and not otherwise banned by the property. Going armed in terror of the public is what you're charged with when someone is scared or alarmed that you're carrying (gasp) a gun. It's a fairly big deal relative to the guy's gun rights in that they usually take the gun and may keep him from ever buying any more but in the grand scheme of things it's not as big a deal as they could have charged him with given the circumstances. My take is that the guy is a geek to be sure but they decided he was harmless but had to charge him with something given the hoopla. YMMV

RadioDaze

Pianist Envy

"Other blogs describe girl troubles and his frustrations surrounding his efforts to become a good pianist."

Ah, that's where we all stray from the straight and narrow, eh? When there are problems with the opposite sex, and pianist envy.

A PIANIST? Really?!? That part sounds a lot like a Seinfeld episode...

(Courtesy seinfeldscripts.com):

[Courthouse waiting room]

Newman: Okay, you're all set? You got your story?

Kramer: No.

Newman: When the cop stopped me, I told him that I was rushing home because my friend was about to commit suicide.

Kramer: Uhm...

Newman: Now, you're that friend. Now, all we need is a reason why you were going to commit suicide.

[Pause; they're thinking]

Kramer: I never had an air conditioner.

Newman: No! That's no reason to kill yourself!

Kramer: Why? It gets hot at night, you can't sleep. You ever tried to sleep in a really hot room?

Newman: Every night I sleep in a really hot room, I don't want to kill myself.

Kramer: Well, I slept in really hot rooms and I wanted to kill myself.

Newman: No, no, no. That's not gonna work. Something else.

Kramer: I was never able to become a banker.

[Newman has a revelation.]

Newman: Banker! So you're killing yourself because your dreams of becoming a banker have gone unfulfilled. You-you-you-you can't live without being a banker.

Kramer: Yeah, yeah. If I can't be banker, I don't wanna live.

Newman: You must be banker.

Kramer: MUST be banker.

Newman (satisfied): Okay, we'll go with the banker story.

Northerner71

Wow, bring a gun to an airport??? In Canada you are not allowed to ever carry a side arm, thank god for that. Unmarked police car???? Sounds like a real stable guy. Bring a gun and a fake unmarked police car to a airport where your president is going to be?? Freak!!! I love the States but at least Canada doesn't allow jut anyone to walk around with a gun. This fool really hurt our hobby, what happens in the USA usually trickles over the border because your law makers don't like it when we have things that aren't allowed over there. I.e. booze, smokes, scanners.

trumpetman

Database Admin
An article on Charter.com also noted he was rather gung ho with his REACT team back home in Ohio. It seems this information is slowly trickling nationwide.

But to positively contribute to the discussion, as previously mentioned, NC is an open carry state and I don't see much wrong with what he did minus not using any common sense. Legal or not, anyone with a firearm in the same zip code as the prez doesn't look to good to SS or the local authorities who are also responsible for keeping the area secure.

Last edited:

Squad10

Wow, bring a gun to an airport??? In Canada you are not allowed to ever carry a side arm, thank god for that. Unmarked police car???? Sounds like a real stable guy. Bring a gun and a fake unmarked police car to a airport where your president is going to be?? Freak!!! I love the States but at least Canada doesn't allow jut anyone to walk around with a gun. This fool really hurt our hobby, what happens in the USA usually trickles over the border because your law makers don't like it when we have things that aren't allowed over there. I.e. booze, smokes, scanners.

I know what an unmarked police car is. But what is a fake unmarked police car?

From what I have read so far, McVey should either apply for a federal, state, or local law enforcement employement, or get an attorney to address the charge(s) against him in attempt to ca$h in.

This story will be fun to follow.

Northerner71

The article I read said that he had a car made up with, dash cam, lights and radio. If it doesn't belong to a legit PD than hence the word fake. Maybe I should have used impersonating. I know alot of people that buy crown vics, deck them out with interceptor rims and put their fire dept. lights in the dash to look like a cop. I never have understood this because everyone slows down when they see you and you never get anywhere fast. The fact that he had scanners with him he pretty much knew what was going on and to claim ignorance is asinine. I love when people call the local authorities SS or similar, I for one am glad they are there, sure you will get some idiots but a world without cops wow, the only reason people hate cops is because they break the law and get caught.

Squad10

The article I read said that he had a car made up with, dash cam, lights and radio. If it doesn't belong to a legit PD than hence the word fake. Maybe I should have used impersonating. I know alot of people that buy crown vics, deck them out with interceptor rims and put their fire dept. lights in the dash to look like a cop. I never have understood this because everyone slows down when they see you and you never get anywhere fast. The fact that he had scanners with him he pretty much knew what was going on and to claim ignorance is asinine. I love when people call the local authorities SS or similar, I for one am glad they are there, sure you will get some idiots but a world without cops wow, the only reason people hate cops is because they break the law and get caught.

Now I understand what you are saying, McVey was driving a vehicle that was impersonating an unmarked police car.

Maybe McVey was impersonating a police officer???

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Since this has absolutely NOTHING
to do with radio comms and has already
gone way into the area of political threads I am going to
shut this one down. Take it to the political forum
in the tavern if you want to continue this discussion.
Thanks
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.