Ham/Grms and FRN Number

LCT123

If you currently have a FRN number for a commerical radio license, can you apply for a Ham or GMRS License using the same FRN Number?

The FRN registration and the switch over from CORES and earlier systems is supposed to make things easier LCT123, but I found it one bloody pain in the arse. I recently renewed my ham license after the $35 fees went into effect-- and I had a royal time figuring out how to pay for it.

Ok, I am sure there are plenty out there that will say they just sailed thru the process, but I am not one of them.

A crotchety old dinosaur-- I just don't take to these new government ploys to make my life easier....

I also Strongly ! do not advise trying to negotiate their web site after a few glasses of wine ;) .

Lauri

Attachments

• ana_0016.jpg
    ana_0016.jpg
    547.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

LCT123

I watch a youtube video and it walked me right through the process. All ready had a FRN so that made it a little easier.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
If you currently have a FRN number for a commerical radio license, can you apply for a Ham or GMRS License using the same FRN Number?
If the commercial license is in a company name, and not your name, you will need to get a new one, however if it is in your name then you are good, as @nd5y said.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Don't do it!!! There are many cases, myself included (where the FCC made a mistake and used my personal FRN instead of business FRN), where if you have a ham license and attempt to license business frequencies, you will be denied. The FCC agent I spoke with on the phone specifically told me that was the reason I was denied.

Now...you are going the other way, so you already have your business frequencies. But if at some point you go to add an additional allocation, etc., you might run in to trouble.