HAM n00b

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonderrs

hey guys!

Huge noob when it comes to HAM, but i am jumping right in!

I went to school for radio broadcasting, but this is a whole new world i was introduced to!

I have been studying for my test, and am looking forward to meeting the local HAM guys.

any tips and tricks would be awesome, but i see this forum has a ton of info already.

Jon

and yes...i do have a baofeng uv5r LOL.

#fenggang.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Well personally I would stay away from the cheap Chinese radios even though they only cost the price of a meal for two at the diner. A good radio to start with would be a VHF/ UHF handheld from Icom or Yaesu. They will cost you the price of a meal for two at a nice fancy downtown restaurant, about a buck and a quarter.

Whatever method you're using to study it probably involves quizzes or tests. When you feel ready and you're a week before taking your test. There are free websites that offer the 35 question test Unlimited. Just keep taking the test, some of the sites will keep track of your score on each test, I mean a lot of tests, countless numbers of test and watch your average go from 85, 92 and eventually you will find yourself getting 100% on every exam.

If you get a 97 it'll tell you what question you got wrong and explain to you why. Every once in a while you'll bomb out with an 83 and again it will explain to you what questions you got wrong and why, pretty soon you will be getting 100% on every exam one after another and at that point you will probably have seen every question in the three to four hundred question pool, I'm not sure of the exact number but I know when I handed my paper in to the voluntary examiner, I knew I had 100% because I had seen every question on the exam before.

The best part about doing it that way, you really learn the material and because you spent so much time on it you'll retain more material. You only need 75% to pass, 75% or 100%, it doesn't matter, you get your license, it only really matters... to you.

edweirdFL

Welcome to a great hobby in which you will find all kinds of people. Don't let the grouchy or know it all types scare you off.

For instance, some of them would take issue with me describing it as a hobby. They would disagree with my choice of words and begin to point out to me that the federal regulations that established it refer to the "Amateur Radio Service".

A lot of folks would point to your use of "HAM" and observe that it's not an acronym and thus not worthy of all capital letters. It's a result of shortening the word amateur. I prefer ham, but that's not the important thing. Welcome and don't be discouraged by correction or advice or strongly expressed opinions about how something should be done, especially if you have seen it written, or heard it said differently.

If you go to your first club meeting or event and don't like what you see or who you meet, don't give up. Simply go to a different club or event to see if you can find one that's a better match for you.

jonderrs

Well personally I would stay away from the cheap Chinese radios even though they only cost the price of a meal for two at the diner. A good radio to start with would be a VHF/ UHF handheld from Icom or Yaesu. They will cost you the price of a meal for two at a nice fancy downtown restaurant, about a buck and a quarter.

Whatever method you're using to study it probably involves quizzes or tests. When you feel ready and you're a week before taking your test. There are free websites that offer the 35 question test Unlimited. Just keep taking the test, some of the sites will keep track of your score on each test, I mean a lot of tests, countless numbers of test and watch your average go from 85, 92 and eventually you will find yourself getting 100% on every exam.

If you get a 97 it'll tell you what question you got wrong and explain to you why. Every once in a while you'll bomb out with an 83 and again it will explain to you what questions you got wrong and why, pretty soon you will be getting 100% on every exam one after another and at that point you will probably have seen every question in the three to four hundred question pool, I'm not sure of the exact number but I know when I handed my paper in to the voluntary examiner, I knew I had 100% because I had seen every question on the exam before.

The best part about doing it that way, you really learn the material and because you spent so much time on it you'll retain more material. You only need 75% to pass, 75% or 100%, it doesn't matter, you get your license, it only really matters... to you.

I am sure I will update my radio in the near future - i just wanted something to try and now i am hooked!

jonderrs

any certain models you would recommend ?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Don't get me wrong, cheap Chinese radios can be fun to play with, you might even want to take one apart but personally I wouldn't actually use one while operating as a ham operator, it's all opinion, people can do whatever they want.

The thread is about tips and tricks, if you follow the example I showed you about the test, you will pass.

So initially you will meet local people on the 2 m band and the 70 cm band using local repeaters. I think a great radio is the Yaesu FT- 65. It's all opinion and just like buying a scanner, you have to do your homework and do a needs assessment.

The hobby is like owning a boat, the initials BOAT stand for, bust out another thousand LOL but you have to start somewhere. As you learn more it will be fun to look at all the material on the internet and make up your mind what you want to do... Bob.

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
jonderrs, you're starting out in a great hobby, which can consume large amounts of your free time. Welcome!
The advice above is very valuable, and I'm sure you'll get lots more inputs over the next few days right here.

Before you have your license, the Baofeng radio you have will do just fine in listening to what's going on in your area. You have likely figured out already that you don't need a license to listen... Using this site and perhaps other free online sources, get every repeater in your area into the radio memories, and perhaps some of the common FM Simplex frequencies (146.52 and 446.0 are good to start with). You'll quickly get familiar with the activity near you. Once you have a 'better' radio in hand, don't throw the Baofeng away, it never hurts to have a spare around. A light coating of dust is known to have no ill effects to Baofeng radios, though.

I tell people preparing to get their first ham license (or those that just got one) that there's more to ham radio than most people think.
Not just repeaters.
Not just handheld radios.
Not just analog voice radio on VHF and UHF bands.
Not just 'EMCOMM' (Emergency Communications).
Not 'just' anything. Ham radio is a huge world within which you have an almost infinite variety of activities to choose from. You have to start somewhere, of course. Check out ham radio clubs. Depending on how large a town you live in, you might find there are several ham radio clubs and some may be more appealing to you than others. You should encounter folks who are willing to tell you anything & everything you want to know, and may even be willing to demonstrate capabilities you weren't already aware of.

If you're a techie type, you may find there are always opportunities to help out with maintenance work at repeaters, or just to help some local ham put up a new antenna.
If you fancy yourself as more of an 'operator' there are plenty of chances to learn emergency or traffic-handling skills. Or find frequencies where casual conversation is evidently the norm and maybe become one of the bunch.
It may be too soon for you to decide what particular ham radio activity interests you most, but soon you'll start to orient yourself toward what catches your fancy. Remember, you can always change your mind later, and adding to your list of interests is highly encouraged!

I won't say any more. You have questions, you can ask them here, and expect plenty of inputs to help you out.

littona

Super Freq
Premium Subscriber
Don't let the know-it-alls sway you either. A cheap radio is a great way to figure out if you're even going to like it. I got a cheap UHF/VHF radio to tinker with DMR and analog. I don't use it a whole lot, but it works just fine when I do feel the urge. I didn't spend $2K on an HF rig either. My "cheap" 20W HF radio works great with my homemade dipole. My furthest contact so far is New Zealand from Iowa - 7816 miles. The point of a hobby is to do what you enjoy doing. No need to go broke buying a radio unless you feel the need to invest more. Time and experience will be your guide.

TomLine

When I got an RTL-SDR ubs stick, and SDRSHARP (SDR#) software
I was able to listen and visualize everything on all bands. It's very educational for radio study.
Software is free. Usb stick is like 25$

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Don't let the know-it-alls sway you either. A cheap radio is a great way to figure out if you're even going to like it. I got a cheap UHF/VHF radio to tinker with DMR and analog. I don't use it a whole lot, but it works just fine when I do feel the urge. I didn't spend $2K on an HF rig either. My "cheap" 20W HF radio works great with my homemade dipole. My furthest contact so far is New Zealand from Iowa - 7816 miles. The point of a hobby is to do what you enjoy doing. No need to go broke buying a radio unless you feel the need to invest more. Time and experience will be your guide.
Dont let other hams define the hobby for you,Define it for yourself ........

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I am a but late coming here, but many have said that ham radio is the hobby of a thousand hobbies. There are many facets/areas to consider participating in. Reading through the various forums here will give a decent sample.

KEWB-N1EXA

Acushnet Heights Radio 740
hey guys!

I went to school for radio broadcasting, but this is a whole new world i was introduced to!

I have been studying for my test, and am looking forward to meeting the local HAM guys.

any tips and tricks would be awesome, but i see this forum has a ton of info already.

Jon

#fenggang.
Pass The test first then Worry how to Spend Your Money !
The Baofeng will be Great to start with See If you like 2 Meters and 440 in your area then Break out the plastic and Upgrade.

Been A ham for 35 years been that route before.
N1EXA

Last edited:

pgh1994

hey guys!

Jon

#fenggang.
After your post I thought I'd start studying for the tech exam. I did the remote testing on 8/26 and passed with 33/35.
Thanks for encouraging me!!! good luck on your test!!
KI5RKD/Phil

jonderrs

After your post I thought I'd start studying for the tech exam. I did the remote testing on 8/26 and passed with 33/35.
Thanks for encouraging me!!! good luck on your test!!
KI5RKD/Phil
Congrats!! I had to reschedule for the 18th of September but I have been passing all of my practice tests, so I feel I am ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.