Ham (N2FUV) Gets 30 Days in Jail for Using Ham Radio to Violate No-Contact Order

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The bottom line: when someone gives another official notice and says LEAVE ME ALONE and DO NOT CONTACT ME, than that's that.

I'm struggling to understand how having an amateur radio license gives one exemption from state law. The idiot also might want to think twice above involving the FCC, as their use of amateur radio as a vehicle to harass another (and being convicted of such), may constitute reason to set aside their license.

ScubaJungle

This whole thing is a ridiculous mess. I don't know what drives someone to be so insistent on harassing someone that they need to do it over ham radio. I did some digging and it appears the complainant is a transgender fire captain from Tennessee - so perhaps the harassment had something to do with that.

bill4long

minasha

He's wrong and I understand everybody's anger but how can you put someone in jail for this when hardened felons are being released from prison by the thousands over the covid outbreak, and thousands more being arrested and immediately released for protesting violently against police. Jail time simply does not fit this scenario.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
He's wrong and I understand everybody's anger but how can you put someone in jail for this when hardened felons are being released from prison by the thousands over the covid outbreak, and thousands more being arrested and immediately released for protesting violently against police. Jail time simply does not fit this scenario.
Because it's called contempt of court. It's what happens when one flips their middle finger at a judge.

I know we're moving towards consequence free America, with nonsense like "Autonomous zones", but it hasn't made it to Tennessee yet.

In the meantime, if one says "FU" to a court their, they might actually have to serve a few weekends in a county lockup.

bill4long

It's a small county in Tennessee not NYC. Flagrantly piss off a judge, win stupid prizes.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Orders of Protections, Injunctions Prohibiting Harassment, etc.

If a judge, justice, or magistrate issues one a court order to cease and desist - it is a darn good idea to observe that order to the letter. Judicial officers have very little tolerance for people who ignore and violate their orders.

Trying to claim an exemption due to Federal oversight of the RF spectrum is a waste of time. One might as well claim that the state authorities have no jurisdiction over bank robberies because the bank robbed was a Federally chartered financial institution, is FDIC insured, and because the Federal Reserve printed the currency involved.

As to jail time, it is perfectly appropriate. Jails are for misdemeanors and prisons are for felonies. What one state decides to do with their felony prison population has no effect on what a county in another state decides to do with someone sentenced to serve time under a conviction for a misdemeanor.

Kaleier1

According to QRZ forum "N2FUV call was canceled when he reverted to his old call, WA2VMX. He then returned to his N2FUV call, as a vanity call".

Status
Not open for further replies.