Ham radio activity in Massachusetts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

13CA350

Hi everyone

I'm curious how active the ham bands are in the state, and if there are regular nets? I've listened to the Heavy Hitters traffic net a few times, not in the last couple months though.

I'm still in the process of getting my license, just curious how active things are? I'm in Middlesex county and often travel up to the bordering NH towns as well. I'm going to try and start monitoring 146.520 to see if there's any activity.

I'd probably talk most during my commute between 645 and 730am and roughly 2-4pm depending on the day. Maybe some of you are on during that time?

Bmacs

Premium Subscriber
DMR is VERY active in MA and southern NH on both 2M and 440... You can get into it for some very cheap money with the availability of low cost handhelds. Look at the New England Repeater directory online to see what machines to monitor - then get on the air and say "hello"

Bill

13CA350

DMR is VERY active in MA and southern NH on both 2M and 440... You can get into it for some very cheap money with the availability of low cost handhelds. Look at the New England Repeater directory online to see what machines to monitor - then get on the air and say "hello"

Bill

Is there a specific DMR handheld you’d recommend?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I'd probably talk most during my commute between 645 and 730am and roughly 2-4pm depending on the day. Maybe some of you are on during that time?

NS1RA repeater in Danvers (145.470) is usually active during morning drive time 6-7 am, and various pm drive times, as well as nights from 11:15 or so... on past midnight. Covers quite a large area.

North Shore Radio Association

ecps92

There are many repeaters active during the Rush-hour, search the band and see what is nearest your location and listen in.

Some repeaters are linked, others not during the Rush, but linked during other hours.

Here is one group of Repeaters thru a local club, with a wide area of coverage
Minuteman Repeater Association

Hi everyone

I'm curious how active the ham bands are in the state, and if there are regular nets? I've listened to the Heavy Hitters traffic net a few times, not in the last couple months though.

I'm still in the process of getting my license, just curious how active things are? I'm in Middlesex county and often travel up to the bordering NH towns as well. I'm going to try and start monitoring 146.520 to see if there's any activity.

Bmacs

Premium Subscriber
Is there a specific DMR handheld you’d recommend?

I have the Radioddity GD-77 (dual-band), as well as the Connect Systems CS751. The Radioddity goes on sale regularly for around $75. Others I'm sure will offer their opinions...

Bill

13CA350

I’ll look into those. I tried to listen to 142.520 today but I was getting all static. I’ll have to re program my radio, I don’t think I set it up right

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
NS1RA repeater in Danvers (145.470) is usually active during morning drive time 6-7 am, and various pm drive times, as well as nights from 11:15 or so... on past midnight. Covers quite a large area.

North Shore Radio Association

Hello,

The nightly Nut Net!, 11:15 PM to 11:30 start depending on when Nut Control (WO1VES) gets on frequency.

The Waltham 2M and 70CM repeaters are also active.

A good website that lists repeaters in New England.
New England Repeater Directory

73 Eric

ecps92

146.5200 would be correct, 142 is outside of the Amateur Bands

I’ll look into those. I tried to listen to 142.520 today but I was getting all static. I’ll have to re program my radio, I don’t think I set it up right

antonio186

Premium Subscriber
Hello guys, I am fairly inexperienced with ham radio even though I have been licensed for a long time. I got licensed back in ‘01 and didn’t use it much after that. Fast forward to now I have been put in charge of communications for a group I am a member of because as little experience that I do have, I have the most out of our group.

With that being said, I need to develop a communication network that covers the entire state. So my question is for everyone here is what frequency would be best for this and what repeaters should be used. I am also working on getting everyone in my group licensed.

And if this is in the wrong area to post this please let me know. Thanks in advance

A

Analog-Surf-1963

Hello guys, I am fairly inexperienced with ham radio even though I have been licensed for a long time. I got licensed back in ‘01 and didn’t use it much after that. Fast forward to now I have been put in charge of communications for a group I am a member of because as little experience that I do have, I have the most out of our group.

With that being said, I need to develop a communication network that covers the entire state. So my question is for everyone here is what frequency would be best for this and what repeaters should be used. I am also working on getting everyone in my group licensed.

And if this is in the wrong area to post this please let me know. Thanks in advance

First question would be where are you located in the state ?

Pete N1EXA in New Bedford MA

jim202

First of all there is no one repeater system that covers the entire state. Maybe if you provide some details of just what your trying to do and how your looking to do it, someone can come up with some suggestions.

With that said, there are a number of repeaters that do cover specific areas of the state that may be of interest.

It has been a number of years since I have been active there in MA. But as was suggested, the New England Repeater Directory is the first place I would start my search. It has about the most up to date info your going to be able to locate on repeaters in the region.

What type of antenna you use on a mobile will also effect the range and coverage you find from the different repeaters. I use to use a 1/4 wave whip on top of my truck with good results.

You will find both local coverage and large area coverage repeaters. There are holes in coverage around the state, so don't be surprised if you can't find a repeater that you can key up. Also bear in mind that most of the 2 meter repeaters around the state require a sub audible tone (CTCSS) on the repeater input to be able to key it up. Some repeater listings may or may not have the correct tone listed. There are also private repeaters that the repeater owners do not want outside people from a small group of users being on the repeater.

This is about all the help I can provide with the information you have supplied.

Jim

antonio186

Premium Subscriber
First question would be where are you located in the state ?

Pete N1EXA in New Bedford MA

Pete thanks for the reply, i am in East Bridgewater, but i have group members in sandwich/bourne area as well as people out in oxford and salem, adams, middlefield, pittsfield, dracut. Etc....

antonio186

Premium Subscriber
First of all there is no one repeater system that covers the entire state. Maybe if you provide some details of just what your trying to do and how your looking to do it, someone can come up with some suggestions.

With that said, there are a number of repeaters that do cover specific areas of the state that may be of interest.

It has been a number of years since I have been active there in MA. But as was suggested, the New England Repeater Directory is the first place I would start my search. It has about the most up to date info your going to be able to locate on repeaters in the region.

What type of antenna you use on a mobile will also effect the range and coverage you find from the different repeaters. I use to use a 1/4 wave whip on top of my truck with good results.

You will find both local coverage and large area coverage repeaters. There are holes in coverage around the state, so don't be surprised if you can't find a repeater that you can key up. Also bear in mind that most of the 2 meter repeaters around the state require a sub audible tone (CTCSS) on the repeater input to be able to key it up. Some repeater listings may or may not have the correct tone listed. There are also private repeaters that the repeater owners do not want outside people from a small group of users being on the repeater.

This is about all the help I can provide with the information you have supplied.

Jim
Jim.

Basically we're are trying to set up a radio communication network between all of us, as i stated in my other reply above. We have group members across the state. Im just trying to figure out a cost effective and reliable solution for all of us. I realize that i may not be able to reach someone in pittsfield from my house in East Bridgewater directly, but any help is certainly appreciated.

ecps92

Are they all amateurs ?

There is NO a wide area Repeater Network to cover Berskhire to Barnstable to Essex/Middlesex

They might be able to Echo Link or IRLP from time-time into the various regional repeaters.

Pete thanks for the reply, i am in East Bridgewater, but i have group members in sandwich/bourne area as well as people out in oxford and salem, adams, middlefield, pittsfield, dracut. Etc....

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Are they all amateurs ?

There is NO a wide area Repeater Network to cover Berskhire to Barnstable to Essex/Middlesex

They might be able to Echo Link or IRLP from time-time into the various regional repeaters.
Hello,

There is a Ham DMR network that has some coverage with linked repeater sites. I think there are linked NXDN sites as well.
Index

73 Eric

A

Analog-Surf-1963

Are they all amateurs ?

They might be able to Echo Link or IRLP from time-time into the various regional repeaters.[/QUOTE

The Squirrel beat me to it ! Thats a big area in which ham radio does not work like that.

That's A trunking issue to get state coverage !

The closest repeater to you is off the top of my head 147.315 out in plymouth thats will get a small area.

You will find no 440 repeaters around here beacause the Air Force (Pave Paws ) claimed they were

interfering with their beams being shot into space and they couldn't get clean responses.

146.52 will go a few miles as with 51 mhz 6 meter and 29 mhz on 10 meter.

guess the first thing is to get started on the tech licsense then worry about talking.

you still have email !

pete N1EXA

antonio186

Premium Subscriber
Are they all amateurs ?

They are currently not amateurs I am working on getting them licensed. I thought there used to be a repeater on top of mount greylock. But maybe that is no longer functional.

Status
Not open for further replies.