Ham radio and Female operators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny37

What is it with Ham radio operators when a women with a sexy voice comes on a repeater and everyone forgets what they're talking about and start flirting with the female operator. I swear I can't help but laugh so hard when this happens and it always happens. Especially the older guys can't seem to keep it together. Tell me your stories, I def want to hear them. :)

N8OHU

What is it with Ham radio operators when a women with a sexy voice comes on a repeater and everyone forgets what they're talking about and start flirting with the female operator. I swear I can't help but laugh so hard when this happens and it always happens. Especially the older guys can't seem to keep it together. Tell me your stories, I def want to hear them. :)

Young Ladies (that's what they call them no matter how old they really are) are less common, so they usually get a lot of attention when they talk. And that isn't limited to repeaters either; I know one YL that is a net control station for one of the big HF nets, and she's also a key part of our club's Field Day operation.

PhotoJim

I'm sure novelty is it. Then again if our airwaves were female-dominated and a YM with a sexy voice came on the air, the same thing would also likely happen. :)

Danny37

Lol there's nothing wrong with guys feeling a connection to the YL operator, I mean most of us feel attracted to our significant other when they share a strong passion for a hobby like we do. I remember the one reason I was attracted to my ex was cause she was GTO mechanic and restored classic muscle cars. She was so feminine but had that "guy" passion for cars, not like girls who dig cars cause they think it represents money. It's just the older folks kind weird me out when sounds like high school boys but with grand kids.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Some act like they never heard a woman on a repeater system. :lol:

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Doesn't the automated robotic voice that identifies the repeater count? :lol:

Some repeater systems do have the robotic id'ing playback when the system has to identify or it's active with people talking on it. Or you'll hear the repeater owner's voice talking saying this is .... repeater system or repeater located in ''unknown''.

Danny37

Some repeater systems do have the robotic id'ing playback when the system has to identify or it's active with people talking on it. Or you'll hear the repeater owner's voice talking saying this is .... repeater system or repeater located in ''unknown''.

Lol I was kidding, when you said some guys never hear a women on the air. I meant that the robotic voice that IDs the repeater which is sometimes a female voice doesn't count. I gotta say some women are more flirtatious on the air so I guess that's what gets the older guys in a knot lol.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Lol I was kidding, when you said some guys never hear a women on the air. I meant that the robotic voice that IDs the repeater which is sometimes a female voice doesn't count. I gotta say some women are more flirtatious on the air so I guess that's what gets the older guys in a knot lol.

I agree. Some ladies have that special affect on some male operators especially when it's a southern accent.

radiokatz

My wife has already informed me that she wants no part of ham radio because of this very behavior. She doesn't appreciate the crude humor that we have witnessed on some of the nets. It may not be as much of a problem on dx'ing, but a lot of the nets are full of this...which she interprets as harassing behavior.

I can't say I disagree with her, considering what we have heard at times on 40/75/80 meter nets. It doesn't set a good example for the hobby, IMO. :(

Danny37

My wife has already informed me that she wants no part of ham radio because of this very behavior. She doesn't appreciate the crude humor that we have witnessed on some of the nets. It may not be as much of a problem on dx'ing, but a lot of the nets are full of this...which she interprets as harassing behavior.

I can't say I disagree with her, considering what we have heard at times on 40/75/80 meter nets. It doesn't set a good example for the hobby, IMO. :(

I totally agree if your being inappropriate, crude or just sexual harassing I don't accept that, but if your being a gentlemen and are really just trying to the know the lady than that's fine. But unfortunately like you said the demeaning behavior of men towards women is what drives them away. Women don't want "special treatment" on the air they want to be like the guys. I think alot of hams forget that they have a wide audience when their chatting consisting of scannerist, kids, moms, fcc and even public safety personal. They think their conversations is just limited to hams monitoring but that's not true.

radiokatz

I think alot of hams forget that they have a wide audience when their chatting consisting of scannerist, kids, moms, fcc and even public safety personal. They think their conversations is just limited to hams monitoring but that's not true.

Agreed - And, they seem to forget that they are easily identified by their callsign, especially in this day & age when your identity is only a couple of mouse clicks away. I would like my wife to participate in the hobby with me, but sadly she will not.

We all know how it is; a few bad eggs (or hams) :D ruin it for everyone...

Danny37

Agreed - And, they seem to forget that they are easily identified by their callsign, especially in this day & age when your identity is only a couple of mouse clicks away. I would like my wife to participate in the hobby with me, but sadly she will not.

We all know how it is; a few bad eggs (or hams) :D ruin it for everyone...

I gotta say I had a whole different expectation when I heard about ham but when I tuned into the repeaters on my scanner it gave me a flashback of cb radio. I was discouraged for awhile but than I heard that outside the 2m and 440 bands it tends to be more friendly. So I was discouraged for a while until a few hams on here told me that nonsense tends to stay on those bands and the whole other ham bands are more friendly, professional and exciting. I guess when I get my ticket later this year I'm going to stick to simplex and DXing, going to only use repeaters if necessary such as blackouts, weather etc. You can tell your wife that getting a ham license opens so many doors on the communication side. You can use it out on family gatherings, road trips, hiking, camping etc. Once I'm done with my PT I'm gna try hiking in the fall if my body permits, I'm really looking forward to getting my ticket and hiking :)

AC2OY

So far I have met three female ham operators( one is a member in my club) never had a QSO yet with a female. I would know to behave because I want to keep my license. It's also just being a gentlemen. Ham radio is great everybody wants help...today I had three guys try and hit a repeater from their rigs all at the sometime!!!

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

My motorola sf600 bluetooth does this,lol! Nothing like the sound of a sexy uk woman's voice in your ear giving you prompts! :lol::twisted:

n9zas

Danny37

My motorola sf600 bluetooth does this,lol! Nothing like the sound of a sexy uk woman's voice in your ear giving you prompts! :lol::twisted:

n9zas

Lol kinda like those GPS commercials where the wife giving directions can't compete with the GPS device and the guy totally prompts the navigator making steam come out of the wife's ears! :lol:

D

DaveNF2G

I enjoy the Chinese-accented female voice from my Wouxun portables.

Status
Not open for further replies.