Ham radio antenna ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieselFF918

Hey all, I am currently looking to buy a place of my own. I would like to set up either a 2 meter or a 2m/70 cm ham radio, however I need some ideas for antennas.

The place I am getting is a 70x14 mobile home. It is located in a park which likely puts a tower out of the question.

So, I am looking for other ideas. Preferably something small so as not to be too obtrusive, and something I could secure to the eves of the mobile home.

w5dmt

Premium Subscriber
I'd just pick up a fiberglass dual band antenna of some sort. I've got a 6 footer mounted on the roof here and can hit repeaters within a 50 mile radius with no issue. You can also probably lash a 30 foot push up mast to the side of your trailer if you want to get a little more height on it.

Something like one of these:
NCG Company::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

These run from about $75 and up. Feed it with 50 feet or less of LMR-400 and you'll be happy.

It also just occurred to me.. What about a high gain Mobile mount antenna? Find an edge to mount a trunk lip type mount and put something like an SBB7 on it. I have one of those mounted to a piece of L channel and screwed to the side of the house.

Best of luck!
Dave

Last edited:

DieselFF918

thanks for posting those, I like that style, probably will go with the GP-3, the 5' 11" mast.

As far as those that you referred to, what is the best to mount them to for a support pole?

w5dmt

Premium Subscriber
Well, you have some options there... Either get a cheap tripod from Radio Shack (If yours still carries them) and a 5 foot mast... Yes, you'll have to put lag bolts into your roof... Another option, is a vent pipe mount. Not quite as sturdy, but usually works well. (Also usually available at Radio shack). Last option, is to side mount it to your home. Some adaptation of an "Eves Mount".. All will require a 5 foot (or less) mast to mount the antenna too.

Good Luck,
Dave

elk2370bruce

Take a look at Arrow Antenna website. They have an aluminum dual band (144/440) rigid J pole for under fifty bucks. Have had one for several years. Works great, has <1.5:1 SWR. Have it mounted on the side of the house. Great beginner antenna for fm repeater use. For SSB, CW, and DATA modes, you would need to step up to a yagi a bit later on.

kc8mvw

Build your own. Do a search for copper cactus and get great results. I built a couple "super j-poles" and have them in an emergency kit as well as on the house. Work better than some of the commercial models that I've been able to test.

DieselFF918

I have the plans to make a copper cactus, bookmarked in my favorites. I may have to go with a copper cactus anyway.

Not sure if the bank is going to loan me the money for the Mobile Home, so I may be stuck renting.

kc8mvw

I like it because it is so portable and has different configurations available. I know that a lot of banks don't like to do loans on mobile homes. Some will if you are in the right state, but most will not. Too much risk is what I understand. Good luck on getting a place regardless and enjoy the antenna!

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hey all, I am currently looking to buy a place of my own. I would like to set up either a 2 meter or a 2m/70 cm ham radio, however I need some ideas for antennas.

The place I am getting is a 70x14 mobile home. It is located in a park which likely puts a tower out of the question.

So, I am looking for other ideas. Preferably something small so as not to be too obtrusive, and something I could secure to the eves of the mobile home.

I have a 80x14' mobile home and I use a telescopic 30' push-up mast with a diamond A50.
Two wall mounts with 3" lag bolts keep it up there quite well. You may want to check your park for towers,because you may be able to put one up. We have several in this park.
Good luck! :cool:
73's.
n9zas

KD0LWU

I had the materials left over from a job so I built a "copper cactus" J-pole. Simple, cheap, easy to build and it worked well. I couldn't get the SO-239 to stay on, my poor soldering skills at fault for sure, but.........
I walked into a deal on a GP-3, husband had bought it, never put it up then died, widow wanted it sold for some extra cash so she returned it to the dealer and sold it consignment. I got it for $75.
I'd have paid full price for it now knowing what I know now!
Before, with the J-pole, I could hit three repeaters with my HT, with the GP-3 I can now hit 7 repeaters! I was shocked as well!
If you are stuck in an apartment for a while I've "heard" of fiberglass antenna's getting painted the same color as the building, somewhat hidden behind shrubs, tree's or decks and getting out pretty good. Not that I really know of such activity or condone it, but it can work :)

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
2m/440 antenna

I have been using the copper cactus for about 6 years. Works great. It is a unity gain antenna so what you put into it comes out at the same force. These are great if you are close to the repeaters in your area. If you need the extra gain, go with the GP-3. I am looking hard at changing mine to a GP-3. The reviews on eham are good and on other sites as well. A lot depends on how far it is to your local repeaters. I also have a 4 element Arrow beam at 45 feet for the repeaters that are way off. It's fairly flat here on the gulf coast so the signals seem to go a long ways.

KB4OIF' 73

Th Old Ranger.

N1BHH

The Copper Cactus should exhibit about 2.5 dBi gain when constructed nicely. I have built a number of J-pole antennas for 2 meters using just number 10 wire mounted to some mahogany heavily varnished and they worked wonderfully with about 2.5 dB gain over a ground plane. There are many antenna ideas on The DXZone: ham-radio, shortwave and cb-radio guide that you may wish to explore. Do plenty of research and you'll be best to build it yourself. You'll get the valuable experience and learn the theory and construction techniques, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.