Ham Radio Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
In case you all weren't aware, assuming that you care about these awards, the ARRL Board of Directors named Josh B. Nass, KI6NAZ, as the winner of it's annual professional media award:
The Board also designated Josh B. Nass, KI6NAZ, as the winner of the 2020 Bill Leonard W2SKE Professional Media Award for Video Reporting. The Board cited Nass “for his outstanding YouTube channel, “Ham Radio Crash Course,” which has garnered almost 170,000 subscribers.” The Board resolution observed that generating “productions of high levels of content — and effective and entertaining instruction of that content — all while maintaining rigorous technical standards, [demands] consistent discipline and rigor.” The resolution also cited Nass for his use of “new modes of learning and information conveyance that enhance further education of Amateur Radio operators everywhere.” The recipient receives a plaque and a $250 contribution to a charity of the winner's choice.
I can imagine that this recognition and the moving of Ham Nation (Bob Heil's podcast show) from TwiT to Ham Radio Crash Course has elevated Mr. Nass above his YouTube ham radio peers. What I find interesting about this move is that Mr. Heil famously made some derogatory remarks a few years ago about the other ham radio video shows when they started nipping at the heels of Ham Nation. Now, those young up-starts have caught and, in one case, absorbed Ham Nation.

I also prefer those that actually “operate radio” instead of just talking about operating radio on their videos.
Wow! What a concept. A ham radio YouTube video that actually shows people playing radio.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Dave Cassler's "Amateur Extra" series is well worth watching. He is an excellent presenter as well. I also enjoy Callum's (M0MCX) videos, particularly his ones on antenna design.

KE0GXN

In case you all weren't aware, assuming that you care about these awards, the ARRL Board of Directors named Josh B. Nass, KI6NAZ, as the winner of it's annual professional media award:

I can imagine that this recognition and the moving of Ham Nation (Bob Heil's podcast show) from TwiT to Ham Radio Crash Course has elevated Mr. Nass above his YouTube ham radio peers. What I find interesting about this move is that Mr. Heil famously made some derogatory remarks a few years ago about the other ham radio video shows when they started nipping at the heels of Ham Nation. Now, those young up-starts have caught and, in one case, absorbed Ham Nation.

Wow! What a concept. A ham radio YouTube video that actually shows people playing radio.

IMO, the award is the League‘s way of trying to be hip and hang with the “cool” kids by latching on to the guy’s success. Is what it is….like I said these guys like to hear themselves talk more than actually operate. What is sad is when some of them actually do get on the air, you can tell after about the second contact how clueless they are with pressing the PTT and actually having to communicate with someone via radio, but yet there they sit trying to educate everyone…:rolleyes:

Yes, Mr. Heil was “once” very critical of the Tubers who monetized their channels by asking/begging for viewer contributions….even had a soapbox moment on Ham Nation about it. But yet he obviously changed his tune now that HN was turned over to HRCC and by the same token then he also conveniently bailed from the show along with George.…so what does that tell you?

Duckford

I do appreciate Mr. Casler and Mr. Heath. Both channels offer a great deal of information from old grey beards, both may get a little off on a tangent, but both have content you can learn from. Neither are absolutely perfect in presentation, but then again most people aren't. Mr. Casler's series on the amateur tests are a definite recommendation to anyone learning radio and preparing for the tests.

Many channels are like so many Youtube channels, people just making content for money, fame, boredom, ect. A dime a dozen, offering basic information that can be found anywhere. I'm not going to hate on them, or attack them, but you quit clicking on their content pretty quickly.

As for HRCC itself, I think it is a necessary thing. He's popular with the kids, he's got a big Discord server going with a community, like it or not he is a powerful little channel that is helping to create interest and draw in the youth. Maybe he isn't the greatest old fashioned Elmer to walk the Youtube, but he is doing a service to the service by being a friendly ambassador to young people interested in radio. You don't have to like his style, but part of that way he does things is somewhat necessary to have the affect on this younger generation that is needed.

His style and manner, his Discord and community, are successful because they work. You can dislike him, or his way of doing things, whatever. he didn't drunkenly trip over a tree branch and fall into success. He has a presentation and style that people like and an attitude that draws in people.

I rather like Mr. Nass. And I won't hold anything against his success, especially considering the role he is really serving for Ham radio.

I don't think Mr. Heil has to worry. His legacy and place are secure. I don't think Mr. Nass will be asked to present at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, or have any great sound equipment designs named after him.

lizzyfan

He's knowledgeable and I enjoy his YouTube videos...his podcast not so much...his wife Leah (sp) kinda ruins with all her off topic rants and giggling like a 16 year old...nothing wrong with that but it rarely has any ham radio topics

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Bridgecom is one of the most aggressive advertising companies I have ever seen. They should do some research of their own database and not target those of us who have already purchased their products.
Totally!
Bridgecom has become way too aggressive in their advertising and marketing to the point they're bordering on being spammers.

As for YouTube amateur radio training, I still stick by Dave Casler's KE0OG Ham Radio Answers. Dave sometimes gets a bit verbose, but his information is accurate and reviews unbiased.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Josh just can't get past the VHF digital (or anything that is cheap). Much of his content is directed by "patron picks", and the patrons seem to consist almost entirely of people with tech licenses who are preppers and EMCOMM interested people only. Cheap is the only way those types roll.

And the memes and all of that garbage are a turnoff. Certainly better than most of the other ham radio YT! content out there -- ya know the FT8-off people, the guy always taughting his "deer lease". The ham radio dude guy who is a total Debbie Downer.

I think Ham Radio DX (Hayden VK7HH) often has some really good videos up. Kevin Loughlin (I can't remember the name of his channel) is good. And I'll check out Jim Heath. I watch Dave Casler occasionally, but he annoys me at times.

They all produce better content than I could though.

Mike

KE0GXN

Josh just can't get past the VHF digital (or anything that is cheap). Much of his content is directed by "patron picks", and the patrons seem to consist almost entirely of people with tech licenses who are preppers and EMCOMM interested people only. Cheap is the only way those types roll.

And the memes and all of that garbage are a turnoff. Certainly better than most of the other ham radio YT! content out there -- ya know the FT8-off people, the guy always taughting his "deer lease". The ham radio dude guy who is a total Debbie Downer.

I think Ham Radio DX (Hayden VK7HH) often has some really good videos up. Kevin Loughlin (I can't remember the name of his channel) is good. And I'll check out Jim Heath. I watch Dave Casler occasionally, but he annoys me at times.

They all produce better content than I could though.

Mike

Funny you should mention the memes....Like I stated earlier, I have engaged with him in "well-known" ham radio forum in the past and critiqued his content...apparently I got under his skin. A few weeks ago a fellow ham who watches a lot of his content informed me he had created the below meme about me that he was using in his videos. Quite sad that I even occupied any time in his head.....but it does show some of these Tubers' true colors and lack of maturity when it comes to any criticism of their content.... :rolleyes:
4DD6_47A4_4357_9035_53C35A0C5F2F.jpeg

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Funny you should mention the memes....Like I stated earlier, I have engaged with him in "well-known" ham radio forum in the past and critiqued his content...apparently I got under his skin. A few weeks ago a fellow ham who watches a lot of his content informed me he had created the below meme about me that he was using in his videos. Quite sad that I even occupied any time in his head.....but it does show some of these Tubers' true colors and lack of maturity when it comes to any criticism of their content.... :rolleyes:
View attachment 114282

I agree with you. It's hard to take them seriously. Oh another one I do like is Carlos (I forget his call) the skydiver. I like his skydiving vids, especially those including him using ham radio during the skydive. Then you counter that with "yelling Frank", who talks as if he is talking to all five year olds.

And most of them use clickbait titles to reel you in, and then you realize 15 seconds into the video that it just isn't worth watching.

The memes just not necessary. I see a meme and I am immediately of the mindset that I shouldn't be taking this video seriously.

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
Totally!
Bridgecom has become way too aggressive in their advertising and marketing to the point they're bordering on being spammers.

I won't buy from Bridgecom on principle given their spam-like marketing, nor on substance as Chinese DMR radios do not interest me.

View attachment 114282

That's not even a good meme.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I won't buy from Bridgecom on principle given their spam-like marketing, nor on substance as Chinese DMR radios do not interest me.

That's not even a good meme.

I got almost 240 messages from them in four months. Just unsubscribed today. It is like a cult over there. I only subscribed to try and help a ham having DMR problems with his radio. It is no wonder they dont pick up the phone there, they are on social media non stop.

k6cpo

Yes, Mr. Heil was “once” very critical of the Tubers who monetized their channels by asking/begging for viewer contributions….even had a soapbox moment on Ham Nation about it. But yet he obviously changed his tune now that HN was turned over to HRCC and by the same token then he also conveniently bailed from the show along with George.…so what does that tell you?

I lost interest with Ham Nation before the first year was up.

He's knowledgeable and I enjoy his YouTube videos...his podcast not so much...his wife Leah (sp) kinda ruins with all her off topic rants and giggling like a 16 year old...nothing wrong with that but it rarely has any ham radio topics

And most of them use clickbait titles to reel you in, and then you realize 15 seconds into the video that it just isn't worth watching.

I had this issue with one of Nass' podcasts. It had a very enticing title about Chinese radios but took four, yes, four hours to get to the point. Thank goodness I listened to a recording and was able to fast-forward through most of the garbage.

I find there is very little ham radio content on YouTube that I find useful. So many of them have agendas. One of the worst is K6UDA, who blew a situation with CalFire all out of proportion. He has a definite anti-California agenda, but he's finally put his money where his mouth is and moved out of the state.

KE0GXN

I lost interest with Ham Nation before the first year was up.

I still watch it from time to time if there is a topic that interests me. He can't run all his shenanigans on HN like he does in his own channel. So I find it bearable to watch if I feel the need.

I had this issue with one of Nass' podcasts. It had a very enticing title about Chinese radios but took four, yes, four hours to get to the point. Thank goodness I listened to a recording and was able to fast-forward through most of the garbage.

I find there is very little ham radio content on YouTube that I find useful. So many of them have agendas. One of the worst is K6UDA, who blew a situation with CalFire all out of proportion. He has a definite anti-California agenda, but he's finally put his money where his mouth is and moved out of the state.

Oh yeah, I tried to give the podcast a listen too because same as you the topic (I thought was going to be discussed) seemed interesting and all it took me was a few minutes of listening to realize it was a joke with nothing but off topic banter between him and his wife. I never bothered with it since.

As far as Bob, well I kind of actually like him. He tells it like it is whether he is right or wrong maybe a different story....but that whole CalFire deal was kind of left ambiguous in my eyes. He followed up with some interesting interviews of some characters that were allegedly intimately involved with that whole fiasco and in the end I got left wondering who to believe...:confused:

Yeah, he is freezing his butt off over in Idaho now, so maybe he wishes he would have never left...lol. Anyhow, like I said at least the guy doesn't tap dance around any issues nor does he seems to be in any of the vendor's pockets like these other self-professed "influencers" that are out there.

Last edited:

ArtU

View attachment 114282

Havin' a You Tuber post a meme about you on a Podcast, Priceless :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.