Ham Radio Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE0GXN

I watch it from time to time. Nothing wrong with obtaining information from various sources. Like anything else, the key is doing your due diligence and verifying the information is accurate before applying it or using it. Much like advice given in this place or any other fourm, etc..

As far as lids....LOL...just tune to the choice “neighborhoods“ on 20, 40 and 80 meters.....I think we can all agree those aren’t “Youtube-ers” espousing the vulgarities and overall malfeasance that occurs on those frequencies or the many other jamming/stupid activities that occur all over the bands. :rolleyes:

k6cpo

It's just like almost all the other ham radio YouTube channels.
He leaves out a lot of things and gets a lot of things wrong.
If you rely on YouTube stars to teach you ham radio you will end up a stupid lid.

There are some good amateur radio content providers on YouTube, but they're few and far between. You have to really carefully filter what you see. Most ham radio videos on YT have very poor production values, such as shaky out-of-focus camera work, bad narration (too many "umms...") and poor knowledge of the subject matter.

One thing I've notice about the Ham Radio Crash Course and his associates is they all seem obsessed with Baofeng.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Take them with a grain of salt. Especlly the ones that preach "be sure to like and $ub$cribe !". The hams who are just into YouTube for the money stand out like a sore thumb. I block them so they never get recommended to me again. The over dramatized intros, editing, graphics are just bling to get you to $ub$cribe.

2IR473

Premium Subscriber
In many ways, HRCC and the other YouTubers are trying to appeal to younger hams, and that’s ok.
Ham radio could use some new hipsters, rather than all the replacement hips it has had for decades.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Liking YouTube videos and subscribing to YouTube channels plays into the algorithms that determine whether or not those videos or channels show up in search results. The beast kinda feeds on itself. The more likes or subscribes a YouTuber gets, the more likely their videos will be "found" by the system, so the more views they get, etcetera, etcetera. And, YouTube monetization is based on views, likes, and subscribes.

Since there are many YouTubers whose primary source of income is YouTube, I don't begrudge those who ask me to like and subscribe. That's how they make money.

But, I am skeptical of product "reviews" when the content creator doesn't say if they bought the product with their own money or if some manufacturer or retailer sent them the product for review. It's like KJ4YZI's (HamRadioConcepts) recent videos about the Icom IC-705. That radio isn't available from dealers yet, so how did Eric get one to review? I haven't watched all of the review videos all the way through, but I'll jump to the conclusion that as a result of his relationships with Icom and Gigaparts, he got a pre-release radio to review. Does that make his review any less honest? I don't know. I think Eric is fairly honest in his reviews. Would I be more comfortable with his reviews if he said up front that Icom or Gigaparts sent him the radio? Yes.

Yes, it is good that a younger generation of hams is producing online content that appeals to a younger generation of hams. I'm an "old fart" with almost 30 years in amateur radio, but I think I realize that we need KI6NAZ, KJ4YZI, and others appealing to the younger audience. I just hope that these young whippersnappers realize that even though there are probably topics that they understand better than I do, there are still a few things us old farts could teach them.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
In many ways, HRCC and the other YouTubers are trying to appeal to younger hams, and that’s ok.
Ham radio could use some new hipsters, rather than all the replacement hips it has had for decades.
To be honest, I do attribute HRCC as the reason I decided to go for my HAM license. However, I started studying, and realized there isn't much good information on youtube. I studied myself with the ARRL books, and added the local radio's curriculum and punched T+G at once. I would say I'm on the younger side of HAM, eating up all the knowledge the local elmers offer.

I did find out that HRCC is affiliated with Brian Brushwood and all his entertainment stuff, so take that as you will. Actually, that's probably how his videos, since I watch all the ScamSchool stuff when I have a free moment.

Liking YouTube videos and subscribing to YouTube channels plays into the algorithms that determine whether or not those videos or channels show up in search results. The beast kinda feeds on itself. The more likes or subscribes a YouTuber gets, the more likely their videos will be "found" by the system, so the more views they get, etcetera, etcetera. And, YouTube monetization is based on views, likes, and subscribes.

Since there are many YouTubers whose primary source of income is YouTube, I don't begrudge those who ask me to like and subscribe. That's how they make money.

But, I am skeptical of product "reviews" when the content creator doesn't say if they bought the product with their own money or if some manufacturer or retailer sent them the product for review. It's like KJ4YZI's (HamRadioConcepts) recent videos about the Icom IC-705. That radio isn't available from dealers yet, so how did Eric get one to review? I haven't watched all of the review videos all the way through, but I'll jump to the conclusion that as a result of his relationships with Icom and Gigaparts, he got a pre-release radio to review. Does that make his review any less honest? I don't know. I think Eric is fairly honest in his reviews. Would I be more comfortable with his reviews if he said up front that Icom or Gigaparts sent him the radio? Yes.

Yes, it is good that a younger generation of hams is producing online content that appeals to a younger generation of hams. I'm an "old fart" with almost 30 years in amateur radio, but I think I realize that we need KI6NAZ, KJ4YZI, and others appealing to the younger audience. I just hope that these young whippersnappers realize that even though there are probably topics that they understand better than I do, there are still a few things us old farts could teach them.
I agree, I see BridgeCom really really pushing their 878 HTs. I find the Youtube content is good for seeing the size of units, displays, menu structure, and mostly the programming methods (but you do learn more when its in hand). Beyond that, the "opinion" of the reviewers is just that, and opinion. You still have to make your own decision and compare to the competitors and your set maximum price.

royldean

I did find out that HRCC is affiliated with Brian Brushwood and all his entertainment stuff, so take that as you will.

I used to enjoy "Hoshnasi" more when he did actual "stuff", rather than just showcasing products. I'm not sure what this "Brian Bushwood" connection is, though. (I had to google his name). What is the deal with him? What is the connection between the two?

W5GX

I used to enjoy "Hoshnasi" more when he did actual "stuff", rather than just showcasing products. I'm not sure what this "Brian Bushwood" connection is, though. (I had to google his name). What is the deal with him? What is the connection between the two?

I'm only aware of a connection since Brian had Josh as a guest on his Youtube channel "The Modern Rogue". Great channel, I think - very entertaining. And they're in Austin, so that's an extra bonus for a native. :p

K9DWB

QRT
I've watched a few HRCC and I get some value on the info. I take what I want out of his videos and what I don't value gets dropped/filtered out. I first watched some Ham Radio Concepts with Eric/KJ4YZI in FL. His are interesting to me, and did help feed my interest in Amateur. HRC/Eric had a video on Amateur radio beginners and CB use. I used to be a truck driver and had several CBs in my 11 years as a Class A CDL driver. All were stock for a few minutes. So I was a bad CBer. It is past though.

I am now a new Tech class Amatuer with a new Yaesu FT3DR HT, and there's plans to get the General ticket next month. I thought the info from these combined videos was a good place to start. I've also caught a few Ham Radio 2.0 with Jason and some Goodgame and David Casler YouTubes. All are helpful to me but each in a different way.

Fenrir

I like HRCC as well as a few others. It got me interested and motivated in the hobby. I’m new to it all but getting more people involved can’t necessarily be a bad thing.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I watch HRCC and a couple others. The best are the podcasts (the HRCC podcast is just downright funny most of the time). of course Ham Radio WorkBench is the best amateur radio tech podcast IMO, and I really enjoy Eric's interviews on the QSOToday podcast.

All of the popular ham radio YT channels (with the exception of Dave Casler and W6LG Jim Heath) absolutely cater to the young crowd. I do like Ham Radio DX (Hayden) as well. The guys who hold the goofy daily or weekly circle jerks i can do without. About 1% value in their broadcasts.

Mike

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Any site or internet instruction should focus on... What's going to be, in the test. No reason you can't get 100% in the class you are seeking. Nothing to do with anything especially, young or old. Unlike many of our other laws we are told to ignore, FCC 97 remains pretty standard and steadfast other than the increase in fees which will match the overwhelming inflation we have coming.

Last edited:

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Over the years YouTube has become as popular as Google in the research community. I am amazed at what all can be investigated and learned. DIY videos of just about anything you can think of. My son is making a killing as a day trader and he is self-taught from YouTube vids. He recently visited me and sat there at my kitchen table and made $1,200 before 11am one morning. Amazing what you can teach yourself from YouTube vids.

Bridgecom is one of the most aggressive advertising companies I have ever seen. They should do some research of their own database and not target those of us who have already purchased their products. I have bought the 578 & 878 and a plethora of accessories, yet I am bombarded weekly with ads for the same. It does get somewhat annoying.

I have to admit, YouTube is my go-to website if I want to watch an instructional video, but like anything else on the internet you have to be careful as far as what you take to heart as valid information and what is deceitful marketing and outright bullsh*t.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
By the time I would get through these tuber's unnecessary intro rolls and fluff content to get to the 10 minute mark, so they can monetize, I could have read various reviews as well as the device specs in order to make a more informed decision. Additionally, I see no need for one's face to purposely get screen time. It is not about you...it is about the hobby and the components we use. Still, incidental exposure due to putting something together or operating is fine, except when I saw one of these jokers in a video where he was standing on a roof to demonstrate a handheld antenna for TX/RX. Yeah...that's normal.

There is one thing I really like about Youtube. There is the option, "Don't recommend channel". No need to keep being bombarded with mediocrity. At my age I am able to think critically and not everyone is like me. Some people make the choice to parrot, while others are unable to discern a choice. I wish them well.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
By the time I would get through these tuber's unnecessary intro rolls and fluff content to get to the 10 minute mark, so they can monetize, I could have read various reviews as well as the device specs in order to make a more informed decision.
I agree. When a YT video is simply telling me what I could learn by reading a website or by consulting a reference book, I quickly come to the conclusion that the video is wasting my time. Some videos drag things out well beyond the 10-minute monetization point, which tells me that the presenter has no sense of organization and is talking just to talk.
Additionally, I see no need for one's face to purposely get screen time. It is not about you...it is about the hobby and the components we use.
Those YouTubers are responding to user comments who have repeatedly said "we want to see your face". I think it falls on the YouTuber to realize that their face contributes very little to the presentation and ignore the user comments. That's a very tough call when your monetization may depend on having happy viewers.

OTOH, I watched a couple of videos in the past week where the presenter had gone to great lengths to build a "set" with his camera, microphone, himself, good lighting, the product he was going to talk about, and a few props. But, his mouth and nose were hidden by the pop filter on his microphone. All you could see was his eyes and his forehead. Those videos got a "thumbs down" from me. Why go to all the trouble of putting yourself on screen only to hide behind the microphone?
There is one thing I really like about Youtube. There is the option, "Don't recommend channel". No need to keep being bombarded with mediocrity.
I don't think I've ever done that. But, I am not afraid to give individual videos a "thumbs down" if I don't think it provides any useful content.

The other trend I'm starting to see which I don't like is the live streams. I don't have an hour or an hour and a half to watch you, your guests, and the people in the chat room debate a topic or devolve into mindless chatter. If you have an opinion or have something to show me, script a video and make a presentation. Otherwise, you are just vlogging and I don't see the point.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Or record a live event, and use a lost art called "editing" to trim out inanity, fluff, and irrelevant meandering.

KE0GXN

Like others, I could care less for the livestream nonsense and the stupid banter on the live chat that goes on, so I simply fast forward the video to the content I am interested in and then X out.

I also prefer those that actually “operate radio” instead of just talking about operating radio on their videos. As much as these Tubers talk about getting on the air, with them its seems its more about seeing their face on a video and pimping you for subs, likes and money…:rolleyes:

As far as the subject Tuber of this thread, I can at least respect him to an extent. I interacted with him and called him on some of his and other Tubers practices on the what I stated above in another well known ham radio forum and he held his own and at least tried to have a debate, but he eventually disappeared and went AWOL once the subject of the incessant monetization he and others engage in started getting deep…then of course suddenly crickets…. :censored:

Status
Not open for further replies.