Ham radio deluxe and a 857D

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE5YOU

Well I have ventured into the world of SDRs and computer control for my radio. My intent is to run my entire home radio station from a computer console. As a matter of experimentation I currently have a FT-857D run into a YT-100 tuner and then I utilize the computer pass through of the tuner to hook into my laptop. I am utilizing a 3.5mm mono cable to from the external speaker port to connect the the microphone port of my laptop. Which in turn has not yielded the results I was searching for.

When using HDSDR I manage to get audio back through the computer and limited control of the radio. I can get HDSDR to utilize the filters on the radio but it seems to have no control or synchronization with the tuner.

When using HRD I the issue is turned upside down. I can't seem to get audio playback through the computer despite the S-meter showing a signal and matching the radio. However the software does seem to synchronize with the radio giving me complete access and control of the filters and tuner. And the digital master suit seems to work very well.

Any ideas?

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I'd recommend looking for a sound card interface that's built for the job. And not going from the speaker to the mic jack. Look on any online auction site, you'll find them. That will be the best way to use HRD. I've used it here for years with my 706MKIIG.

N0IU

Well I have ventured into the world of SDRs and computer control for my radio. My intent is to run my entire home radio station from a computer console.

Ummmm.... just because you can control your radio from your computer, that does not make it an SDR or software defined radio.

KE5YOU

I'd recommend looking for a sound card interface that's built for the job. And not going from the speaker to the mic jack. Look on any online auction site, you'll find them. That will be the best way to use HRD. I've used it here for years with my 706MKIIG.

So I would be well served to use something like a SignaLink?

KE5YOU

Ummmm.... just because you can control your radio from your computer, that does not make it an SDR or software defined radio.

No but routing the signal through you PC as a matter of signal processing does. SDR is nothing but simply computer control of radio where by the signals processing is done by PC rather then internally by the radio. It doesn't matter if you utilize a off the shelf transciever such as I am doing or invest in something like HPSDR. Either way the same task is being complete with different hardware compenents.

Status
Not open for further replies.