Ham Radio Deluxe Support illegally disabled their software over a bad review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans13

Not to mention reimbursement of legal fees incurred, if any!

I meant before pursuing legal actions, if any. My first course of action would be to ask nicely and then pressure to get a refund.

KE0GXN

I was actually contemplating checking HRD out. Instead I will be looking into DX Suite...

Not cool to treat customers that way at all. Thanks for sharing toasty and Scott.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
So on Reddit just now it has become apparent that all the people "blacklisted" on the HRD servers for writing bad reviews (including at least one who posted a review today) have been un-blacklisted, and the software authors have posted in the QRZ thread saying "we don't condone blacklisting in any way". They're strangely silent so far when people are asking about the trouble ticket that has been posted and re-hosted several places across the internet, saying exactly the opposite....

Last edited:

WQPW689

I've read both the QRZ and reddit threads and find them quite informative and even entertaining. HRD has obviously stirred up a hornet's nest with this childish blacklisting retaliation. It was puerile at best before the new law and strictly illegal now. One of the points was that as recently as today they blacklisted a bad reviewer until somehow some light bulbs started blinking on in what passes for their heads. Now they're in alibi mode and promising a statement. There's no doubt from the reactions their business is going to take a hit on this. Considering they brought it on themselves, I'm not sympathetic.

And yes, there are plenty of links that support the validity of the party's complaint.

I'm grateful for the OP bringing it to my attention, if others aren't. HRD will certainly get no trade from me. And it's something I certainly find discussion worthy on this forum, if only to make the rest of us aware of this outfit's practices.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
We had two posters to this thread that wanted it

to die. Fortunately the other members kept at it and found out that it wasn't rumors. My neighbor purchased from HRD and was not thrilled with the software. He said that DX Lab was far better and free. And since I am reporting what my neighbor told me, yes it must be a rumor! lol
It makes my heart feel great that HRD is taking a fast track to straighten out their screwed up mess.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Fortunately the other members kept at it and found out that it wasn't rumors.
I never had any issues with HRD's tech support during the time that I used the program. I knew that there was some discontent out there about HRD even before I started using it. But, in my situation, I paid my money for a year of support and eventually stopped using it on technical grounds...not because I had heard of some guy who had talked to a guy who knew of a guy who had issues with HRD.

Note that synonyms for "rumor" are "gossip", "hearsay", "speculation", "scuttlebutt". In my book, first-hand experiences are a lot more valuable than rumors. If you haven't used the program yourself, are you reporting facts or just spreading rumors? As a moderator here, I'd prefer to see discussions of fact in the forums.

alex5774

I want to make a statement of apology on behalf of HRD Software.

We regret that we have been unable to maintain our high standards of quality in our service to one of our customers. I have reached out to this customer to correct this regrettable situation. I am looking forward to speaking with him.

We apologize for what has happened here. I have stepped in and personally taken corrective actions to ensure that this mistake does not get made again.

It is not the policy or practice of HRD Software, LLC to retaliate, in any way, when negative reviews are made about our company, its products, or our employees. If this has happened in the past, I'm sorry. It won't happen again.

We will strive to avoid, even the suspicion of, such things in the future. Best wishes in your continuing enjoyment of our hobby. Regards,

Dr. Michael Carper, WA9PIE

Owner/Partner HRD Software, LLC

Ham Radio Deluxe Support hacked my computer | Page 37 | QRZ Forums

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I opened a support ticket with HRDSOFTWARE, and was told that I needed to download and install the latest build of version 6.22, and then they would be able to provide support. I followed their directions, and once the download was installed the program started, displayed the splash screen and then completely shut down. I reported this in the ticket, and got an IMMEDIATE response:

"I'm sorry, but your support has expired and we are unable to provide any further support.

Why do you think this is illegal? You don't 'own' the software, they do. Same with almost any software, including Microsoft Windows, etc.

osros

Feed Provider
I had early taste of HRD support over the phone I dont know who the person was but he was rude and put off like how dare I call support. I reported a bug which he fought me about for a while, I finally gave up and ended the call. However they did call me back and did say they indeed found the bug I was talking about and it would be fixed on the next build, far enough but I already was looking at other software and found free options with better, nicer support.

WQPW689

After reading 435 posts at QRZ Forums I believe any illegality involved (or not involved) is irrelevant.

I fully agree with this assessment. And if they try to blacklist negative reviewers in the future they may well have a bad time of it due to the recently passed federal law prohibiting such. In any event they seemed to be appropriately aware this should have never happened.

And on page 39 of the QRZ thread, Rick, the focus of the complaint, appears to be attributing mistakes in judgement to his diabetic condition.

toastycookies

Note that synonyms for "rumor" are "gossip", "hearsay", "speculation", "scuttlebutt". In my book, first-hand experiences are a lot more valuable than rumors.

Just using facts here sir.

sQU8PiG.png

ShawnInPaso

Premium Subscriber
Did anyone else here read the "ticket" (PDF linked above by the OP)?

HRD basically admits to vindictive actions by telling the guy to download software which maliciously removed the existing software he had paid for (to use via the license, etc.). It's one thing to be honest and tell a customer up front that they are implementing section xyz from their contract, but to pull a stunt like that is amazingly STUPID for any business that expects to have customers. Wow.

Diabetes.....right. :)

73 HRD !

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Just because someone posts signs stating: "Not responsible for accidents" does not mean they bear no responsibility for accidents.

When they put in something about they are not liable for anything, blah blah, that isn't worth the effort used in the keystrokes to type it with. Unless favorable agreement is made by both parties, or one walks away and gives up, then a judge and/or jury ultimately determines liability.

Rred

So much seems like third-party allegations without any solid information.

But if a vendor intentionally causes software to be removed or disabled, without giving the customer advance notice of what is going to happen? Oh, the courts settled that long ago. Like in the 90's. There were plenty of vendors, and custom programmers, who would set their software to automagically stop and lock itself if they didn't receive their payments on time. And the universal response from state and federal courts was basically "Papa Spank!" even before this kind of thing became defined as illegal computer tampering.

Which is not to say there aren't enough intentional disinformation campaigns on the web.

Status
Not open for further replies.