Ham Radio Exercise 20/20 March 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.

KQ4KK

20/20 Vision
Saturday, March 6, 2010
10 a.m. to 12 noon

OBJECTIVE: To count the number of vehicles travelling in a certain direction on Interstate 20 during specific times, and to forward this information via amateur radio to the South Carolina State Warning Point in Columbia.

NECESSITY: The counting of vehicles simulates a large scale disaster situation where Hams have been requested to provide information to state and local officials who are estimating the number of persons evacuating to a specific location.

DATE AND TIMES: Saturday, March 6, 2010 between 10 a.m. and 12 noon

RULES: Participants are to count the number of cars and trucks separately travelling West on Interstate 20 during specific times and relay this information back via amateur radio to ultimately arrive and be received at the South Carolina State EOC (State Warning Point).

Participants are to never be on Interstate 20 while counting vehicles and must be located in an area that will not subject them to any danger or be in the area of any moving vehicle that might create a dangerous situation for the participant.

Vehicles will only be counted between 10:00 a.m. and 10:15 a.m. and then again between 10:30a.m. and 10:45 a.m. for a total of two separate traffic counts. The remaining time is for amateur radio operators to create messages to be forwarded to the State Warning Point with the traffic count information.

Operators may pass information directly to the State Warning Point or they can pass the information to a relay station who can deliver the information. Any licensed amateur radio operator can participate, but you need to be registered with the event coordinator (Bob Besley-K4NJN) prior to the event to take part. Send your name, call sign, cell phone number and e mail address to Bob Besley. (k4njn@arrl.net)

Operators can use any form of amateur radio to participate, however the use of the SCHEARTS linked repeater system and HF Radio frequencies (3.993.5, 7.227.5, and 14.227.5) are highly suggested.

There will be out of state operators who might be willing to assist, as well as other South Carolina home stations. You are allowed to pass this information through any licensed operator.

Operators are highly encouraged to use standard ARRL Traffic handling format when passing the information. Your final destination will be the South Carolina State Warning Point, station AE4UX (Charlie Miller).

SPECIFICS: Count Interstate 20 traffic going West during two 15 minute segments.

(1) 10:00 a.m. to 10:15 a.m.

(2) 10:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.

Count the number of cars, and also count separately the number of trucks. (Motorcycles count as cars)

The below form will help you with the required information.

Time Segment Number of Cars Number of Trucks
10:00 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. Traffic Count Number 1
10:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. Traffic Count Number 2

Traffic Count 1 Information relayed to station: Time information relayed:
Traffic Count 2 Information relayed to station: Time information relayed:

Stations can be along any section of Interstate 20 in South Carolina or Georgia.
Questions can be directed to K4NJN@ARRL.NET

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
hey, thanks for posting here, i got the email Monday and shot an email to K4NJN, everything works off I should be off that Saturday....

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
There are atleast 12 stations to be setup on I-20 so far. I plan to be at the SEOC for incoming traffic. Feel free to monitor SC Hearts or if you are a ham anywhere near I20 it isn't to late to join.

Status
Not open for further replies.