Ham Radio Frequencys

Status
Not open for further replies.

lugoffman

Im Sorry If This Is The Wrong Place To Ask This But Does Any One Know Were Or If You Can Scan For Ham Radio Frequecnys If So Does Any One Have Any Frequencys They Can Give Me For Them I Live In South Carolina Columbia Area Kershal County Or Please Move This To The Proper Forum An Privite Message Me If You Move It Thanks I GOT A PRO 97 SCANNER CAN I PICK ANY UP

Last edited:

KE5HOB

Pick up the ARRL's repeater directory. They come out with one every year it seems, and it covers all the registered repeaters out there, with PL tones and extra gear they have hooked up to the machine, such as autopatches. Well worth the money.

Ten bucks for the pocket edition, fifteen for the desktop. I have the 2005-2006 pocket directory and I love it!

http://www.arrl.org/catalog/?category=FM+&+Repeaters

Last edited:

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
In addition to repeaters, the book will give you the frequency ranges of the various bands. Some hams just use simplex to talk (mostly on the 2 meter band) so doing a search across the band of interest may find them.

The lower end of the 6 meter, 2 meter and 70 cm bands are used for other things than FM voice, so you may hear some odd-sounding things there or just nothing at all.

Wikipedia will also give the frequency ranges and general layout of the bands (what type of transmission is typically found where) if you enter the band name (such as 2 meter). This page has an overview of the allocations, with links to all the different bands:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio_frequency_allocations
Scroll down to the section titled "ITU Region 2".

lugoffman

n2mdk said:
Check out the repeater directory listings here, may not be as up to date as it claims.
http://www.artscipub.com/repeaters/states/South-Carolina.asp
The 97 also has a search service for the Ham bands it covers.
Generally the best time to listen will be drive time/commute and the evenings.

i see some frequency but im new at this i got a pro 97 scanner would i be able to pick anything up on it and if so could you give me a general idea on how to program it using the win 97 i live in lugoff south carolina near columbia i know how to use the win 97 but really just need a frequency that i could try also do i use ct or am fm ???? whitch one would i use when putting them in

WB2UZR

Not sure why you can't find the frequencies you need by using the info in previous posts, but you could always try using the search function on your scanner. Some have the ham bands programmed in as a service search. If not, scan 144-148 (2 meter band) and 440-450 (70 cm) and see what you hear. These are FM, but the scanner will probably default to FM. You may need to monitor for a while brfore you hear any activity.

Scott

lugoffman

Tommahawk said:
I did some googling for you and came up with this website which should prove to be just what you need..... Confucious says... "If you are persistent enough with google it will give you the answers that you look for...."

http://carc.ham-radio-op.net/carcrept/carcrepeaters.shtml

hey thanks!!! i didnt know what i was doing but i put some frequencys in using my win97. i thought what the heck!! i cant mess nothing up if i do o well i would just go back and put what i had it there before i tried this. any way i put some in and this morning we heard a bunch of wake up calls it was pertty cool one guy said he was in the shower still and a women said somthing and he said he would still be in bed at that time it was pretty cool to listen to pretty funny stuff so thanks every one for the help !!!!!

n2mdk

lugoffman said:
i see some frequency but im new at this i got a pro 97 scanner would i be able to pick anything up on it and if so could you give me a general idea on how to program it using the win 97 i live in lugoff south carolina near columbia i know how to use the win 97 but really just need a frequency that i could try also do i use ct or am fm ???? whitch one would i use when putting them in

Just put in the frequencies listed in the posting above http://carc.ham-radio-op.net/carcrept/carcrepeaters.shtml
It's all conventional FM, if you have the space simply set up one bank to scan the frequencies. Read my first post to see when they should be most active.

n2mdk

That should be OK as long as you either leave it blank or know the actual PL. I believe if it's blank it will use search to find them if they are being used.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
There's more to the bands than repeaters, this should help you find the proper segments to listen to. I suggest not programming PL tones for the time being, there may be more than one repeater within range on any given pair.

Last edited:

Don_Burke

n2mdk said:
That should be OK as long as you either leave it blank or know the actual PL. I believe if it's blank it will use search to find them if they are being used.
That is correct.

If I am checking out a commercial system I will enter each frequency twice, once as a CT and once as a DC. On the ham bands just CT should cover it.

Status
Not open for further replies.