Ham radio: Old technology gets new respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Unless all police, fire and medical is completely down you shouldn't be rolling to the scene of anything anyway...The only time I would think there would be any call for a scene response was if specifically asked to do so.
And we frequently remind hams of this point. Self-deployment is almost always the wrong idea.

I believe there were reports from both Hurricane Katrina and the Joplin tornado of hams just showing up with no training, no credentials, and no real clue of how they could fit into the communications response. There were also reports from Katrina of these self-deployed hams also becoming a burden on the fragile infrastructure that was in place at those incidents. You may have a nice motor home equipped with all the latest amateur radio technology, but you may not be welcome in an area that has limited parking, limited fuel, limited food, limited medical facilities, limited electricity, limited water, limited sewage disposal, etc.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
And that's probably the biggest problem with ARES/RACES in amateur radio. No across the board structure or knowledge. The ARES/RACES "rules" in one state or completely different than in another state.

ARES and RACES are two different animals.

ARES is a trademark of the ARRL. Some ARES groups are more rigidly structured than others.

RACES is the Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service, and RACES is all about structure. It is amateur radio by governments for governments. Only governments can control RACES.

RACES is defined under FCC part 97.407. It was created during the Cold War.

The problem is that the ARRL has done it's level best to minimize RACES over the past two decades and play up their mantra to insert themselves (and their trademarked ARES program) in place of RACES.

To me, the very name Amateur Radio EMERGENCY SERVICE implies that one is somehow authorized and trained as an emergency responder. Combine this with light bars, uniforms and ID cards and you have the mess we have today.

Today, served agencies are only interested in resources they can control and benefit them. Whackerism and Randy Rescues in their Crown Vic with the "TEH POLICE" license plates aren't a resource.

So many have agencies have re-invented RACES and are now calling it AUXCOMM (short for Auxiliary Communications) and have the blessing of FEMA.

AUXCOMM Overview Training

AUXCOMM is essentially RACES 2.0.

Same drink, new packaging.

At the end of the day, it gives governments and served agencies direct control of their people and resources regarding amateur radio and volunteer communications. AUXCOMM volunteers may be authorized by their served agencies to use amateur radio, or part 90 systems as required by the task or incident at hand.

AUXCOMM volunteers take their training with the served agency and are only activated by their served agency, thus, ending the "self dispatching" problems.

Even the ARRL realizes that AUXCOMM is what served agencies want. Now watch for them to try to re-invent ARES 2.0 to compete.

Amateur radio can be a great resource, but it of itself does not "save the day". It's about the PEOPLE who have the right SKILL SETS and RESOURCES to use them at the RIGHT TIME.

WB4CS

Amateur radio can be a great resource, but it of itself does not "save the day". It's about the PEOPLE who have the right SKILL SETS and RESOURCES to use them at the RIGHT TIME.

While I see and agree with your point, I also agree with your description of the problem. Amateur Radio CAN be a good resource for EmComm with the right people. Trained people. But when you open up ARES/RACES/Skywarn/ETC. up to all amateurs, you get the whacker crowd. You get the "I want to help!" people that have good intentions, but only get in the way.

What should be done is the creation of a completely new radio service. Think of it as the old Army MARS. Different frequencies outside of the normal amateur spectrum. Different rules, different license. Want to help during AuxComms? Okay sure, but first you must pass this exam stating that you know what you're doing. Can't pass? Then go away.

That would eliminate a good majority of the "in the way" whacker crowd, and still allow people to volunteer and assist during emergencies.

Of course, it won't happen. But it's what should happen.

D

DaveNF2G

We don't need a new radio service. We need to remove political correctness from emergency communications. If you can't or won't perform according to the BFOQs of emcomm under difficult conditions, then you should not be allowed to be present where such operations are taking place.

Joe Whacker with his vest, radio belt, flashing lights, no training (and admit it, sometimes his wheelchair or seeing-eye dog) should be removed, forcibly if necessary, from places where the general public is not allowed to be during an emergency.

WB4CS

We don't need a new radio service. We need to remove political correctness from emergency communications. If you can't or won't perform according to the BFOQs of emcomm under difficult conditions, then you should not be allowed to be present where such operations are taking place.

Joe Whacker with his vest, radio belt, flashing lights, no training (and admit it, sometimes his wheelchair or seeing-eye dog) should be removed, forcibly if necessary, from places where the general public is not allowed to be during an emergency.

I'd agree with that 100%.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
We don't need a new radio service. We need to remove political correctness from emergency communications

I fully agree 150%. We have this very problem where I live. Last weekend the annual provincial ARES meeting was held, and one fellow was almost(so I was told from reliable sources) almost in tears because he would volunteer, but not get called, for shifts in our Provincial Ops Centre.(flooding last year in southern Alberta) while a good meaning person, that truly want to help out, he just could not function in this setting. This fellow is one such person. I swear, if he was put in an EOC, he would try and tell the pros how the op should be run! He is the type of person that just does not know when to shut up and do as he is told, with out putting his 5 cents in.

There are folks, good people, that simply should NOT be involved in Aux Comm. They simply do not have the personality to cope with the stress, atmosphere or structure of an EOC setting.

Yea, we do not have too many of them thankfully, only a couple of walkers with yellow lights and a **** load of antennas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

k6cpo

Our local ARES group (of which I am the PIO) is rigidly structured and has a very specific purpose in the event of a call-out. We support hospital communications through a MOC (Medical Operations Center) and that's all we do.

During the wildfire event we had last month, we were placed in standby alert status, but there was no activation. One local CERT Team was activated in one of the cities a distance from the fires to maintain a watch on canyon areas. The city's first responders were spread a little thin because they had provided fire and police personnel to the wildfire effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.