Ham Radio Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9GIL

Feed Provider
Hey there,

Does anyone know anybody who could look into my old Kenwood TS480 around Chicago? When it warms up it stops transmitting, feels like it has something to do with "cold soldering".

Any suggestions for a repair shop will be appreciated.

Rred

A bright light and reading glasses will find cold solder joints 100% of the time. Just pull the cover and squint all over, then repeat after it has been warmed up to make sure. You can also prod connections with an insulated stick (top of a pencil) to see if they are moving around any and making a problem.

A hair dryer, to heat up spots, and a can of cold spray, to ice them down, can also help to pinpoint the area/part that is having a thermal issue. (Which is what many repair shops would do, as well.)

W9GIL

Feed Provider
A bright light and reading glasses will find cold solder joints 100% of the time. Just pull the cover and squint all over, then repeat after it has been warmed up to make sure. You can also prod connections with an insulated stick (top of a pencil) to see if they are moving around any and making a problem.

A hair dryer, to heat up spots, and a can of cold spray, to ice them down, can also help to pinpoint the area/part that is having a thermal issue. (Which is what many repair shops would do, as well.)

This is what I think it is and I will try that. If it doesn't work, I will seek pro help :)

Thanks for all the inputs!

KA9QPN

Repair?

Kenwoods of that vintage are notorious for poor grounding. If the boards are secured with screws to the chassis, put a star washer under each screw and see if that improves your situation.

Tom KA9QPN

Status
Not open for further replies.