Ham Radio Repeaters in Washington w/traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

colonizemars

Hello,

I would like to put together a list of repeaters in the area that get good amounts of traffic. I have tried repeaterbook.com but I found a lot of low traffic repeaters are listed. I am putting together this list so I can program a scanner with the frequencies and give it to a friend as a gift. So far I have identified 462.625, 443.175 and 146.960 (PSR) but I have not done an extensive search. Can anyone else recommend any others? Let me know.

Thanks!

Station51

They may sound like hams because especially going thru a repeater they are required to identify with their FCC issued call sign.
To obtain a GMRS license you simply go online and pay a fee.
To become a amateur radio operator you must pass a test on radio use and theory, and there are different levels of licenses which permit different modes of communication on various bands.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
There are a lot of repeaters active in the Seattle area; however, a lot of them have moved to digital radio and cannot be monitored with a normal scanner. You need to have a newer scanner that support DMR. Sadly, no scanner support Fusion or DSTAR which are also somewhat popular on the HAM bands.

VHF repeaters are generally analog FM. VHF covers 50mhz, 144-148 Mhz and 222 Mhz. UHF repeaters are more digital in recent years. This isn't a hard rule but it seems accurate for this area. There isn't much activity in the 900/1200 Mhz bands.

Repeaters are usually active in the mornings and evening commute hours. In every area, there's one or two repeaters that host a lot of 'nets' and theses appear to be more active than other repeaters. The PSRG repeater on 146.96 is probably the most active in the Seattle area.

If you have an older scanner then program ALL of the repeaters and scan them. You never know what you'll find.

Here's the master repeater list: https://www.wwara.org/WWARA-rptrlist.pdf

laneends

Yea, I know it is GMRS but I ive in the Seattle area and I hear people chatting on it all the time and they sound like hams. Do you know why this is?

You are hearing the GMRS repeater on tiger mt. The most active people are also hams, and the group does on on-air study group for people to prepare for their general. They also do a tech net to help get people's questions answered.

More information here [email]seatacgmrs@groups.io[/email] | Messages

Status
Not open for further replies.