HAM radio safety topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandhya

Premium Subscriber
I have a question or concern about HAM radio safety, not in safety of using the equipment but in safety of the social nature, I posted this question on another social media site and it was removed. Apparently its a topic that folks don't want to address or think is a dumpster fire. Well, in todays day and age, I am wondering why so many are turning a blind eye to it. Safety, as in folks contacting HAM users by calling them on their phones after they look up their contact info. The days of getting a book with call signs and contact info once a year, has gone with High Button Boots. Now anyone can look up a ham instantly. Is this troubling or a "first world" problem as they say? Just curious, and curious why if it is brought up, it becomes hot button and is "squelched"

KF5SLK

Premium Subscriber
As a licensed ham radio operator, your call sign and the associated government record are public record. However, nothing stops you from getting your own post office box to avoid someone showing up at your home. In the United States, you are not required to provide a telephone number. So, if someone is calling you based on your amateur radio licensing, that information was volunteered by you at some point on a site like QRZ or they did some digging via public records on the internet.

It is probably squelched because it is a non-issue.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I have a question or concern about HAM radio safety, not in safety of using the equipment but in safety of the social nature, I posted this question on another social media site and it was removed. Apparently its a topic that folks don't want to address or think is a dumpster fire. Well, in todays day and age, I am wondering why so many are turning a blind eye to it. Safety, as in folks contacting HAM users by calling them on their phones after they look up their contact info. The days of getting a book with call signs and contact info once a year, has gone with High Button Boots. Now anyone can look up a ham instantly. Is this troubling or a "first world" problem as they say? Just curious, and curious why if it is brought up, it becomes hot button and is "squelched"

This topic has been discussed many, many times here on Radio Reference. Bottom Line...….

If you want privacy , use a post office box for your contact info.

k6cpo

My information is out there because I'm a ARRL Section Level appointee, ARES member, a VE team leader, a club president, VP of another club and a volunteer with a local fire department. My e-mail address, and in some instances, my phone number are available to people that may need to contact me for one reason or another. It hasn't resulted in any unwanted attention. My phone seldom rings and I conduct most of my business by e-mail. I even have a call sign plate on my vehicle...

W5lz

If you are worried about being traced/contacted by someone using your licensing information, then you'd better change your name and move! You have more, readily available, infomation about you published everyday in public records than just from an amateur radio license.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
This subject comes up periodically (actually spasmodically) and as someone said, it's a non-issue. If you're paranoid, follow the suggestions already given. Otherwise, go pop open a beer and move on. Oh, wait! I don't drink. I'll go fix another cup of coffee. :)

KE0GXN

Now anyone can look up a ham instantly. Is this troubling or a "first world" problem as they say?

No worries here. I could care less about my address being “searchable”. If I cared I would go through the rigamarole of getting a PO Box or like some that will eventually chime in here use a “fake address”.

All these types of threads do is bring out the paranoia folks.

I am sure the “someone looked me up and came to my house or called me” due to my callsign being public record stories will be forthcoming. :rolleyes:

And yes, I have callsign plates on my vehicle too..:oops:

wtp

if i wanted no one to know where i lived, i would take the numbers off the house install landmines and barbed wire fencing.
i would worry more about cutting someone off in traffic and they follow you home, now that could happen.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Now anyone can look up a ham instantly. Is this troubling or a "first world" problem as they say? Just curious, and curious why if it is brought up, it becomes hot button and is "squelched"

Not sure why it would be any different now. So, I'm a ham radio operator. I've got a few radios at my house. None of them are really worth that much to anyone.
Thieves are much more likely to break into a house and go after the TV, jewelry, etc. I doubt that some radio equipment is going to be worth the effort.

But, using a PO box and a Google Voice phone number, it's pretty easy to keep the risk low.
Personally, there are a lot of security risks that concern me, my amateur license isn't one of them.

prcguy

The problem I see is posting your travel plans and an amateur callsign. Within minutes of someone reading that a ham is going camping with the family for a week in the woods, anyone can have their address, a picture of their house and lots of other info, and know when the house will be empty.

There are countless accounts of this happening on social media where travel plans are posted, then the travelers house is ransacked and everything stolen. I post about traveling on public websites but never mention my callsign or name or anything else that would make it easy to find my address, etc.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
This topic has been discussed many, many times here on Radio Reference. Bottom Line...….

If you want privacy , use a post office box for your contact info.

No if you want privacy, do not be a ham radio operator. It is that simple. Ham radio is not for such people who think it is an anonymous hobby or are paranoid. Also it is a self-policing hobby (FCC expects that)--how can one do that if if a ham cannot be identified?

prcguy

I'm not worried about having a ham license or talking on the air. I just don't discuss my travels or empty house on air or on a public web site where my callsign is available.

No if you want privacy, do not be a ham radio operator. It is that simple. Ham radio is not for such people who think it is an anonymous hobby or are paranoid. Also it is a self-policing hobby (FCC expects that)--how can one do that if if a ham cannot be identified?

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I get the caution about travel plans, being susceptible to a burglar, etc. It's a big bad world out there and we all have to use a little caution in our lives these days. Doesn't mean we should live in a box or hide from the public, etc. I think most burglars and other imbeciles of like mind take it for granted these days that the average American home owner is well armed and very willing and capable of defending their homes, as well as their lives, liberties, and their pursuit of happiness.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
My callsign is on a license plate. I do not sweat it. Could someone find out my name, phone number and or address you bet. I obscure who I am on the Internet to a certain degree because it is foolish not to.

I know a handful of people I would consider to have an elevated level of paranoia and their past or current jobs/lifestyle do not even compare with mine and I am quite relaxed. Caution is wise, but the unknown can really freak some people out. None of us are getting out of this alive so...

KK2DOG

Premium Subscriber
The problem I see is posting your travel plans and an amateur callsign. Within minutes of someone reading that a ham is going camping with the family for a week in the woods, anyone can have their address, a picture of their house and lots of other info, and know when the house will be empty.

There are countless accounts of this happening on social media where travel plans are posted, then the travelers house is ransacked and everything stolen. I post about traveling on public websites but never mention my callsign or name or anything else that would make it easy to find my address, etc.
Also, alot of hams use APRS while they're traveling which allows a "bad" ham to see when they're not home.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I'm not worried about having a ham license or talking on the air. I just don't discuss my travels or empty house on air or on a public web site where my callsign is available.

No disagreement on that--just like I would not put a sign in my front yard saying I am not home. In general, I would hold travel plans to a select few. But being the owner of a ham radio call is a separate matter. Of course, the use of the call as one's license plate has been worked to death in RR. To me, it tells others to call me on 146.52 or the local repeater and in Virginia, it is only $1 more (not $10 like for a Virginia vanity tag) and indicates a willingness to support emergency communication. I also think that such anonymous behavior indicates an unwilling to be public in the hobby, a limited desire to be involved freely with others in the hobby, and works to its detriment.

SPL15

I like to modulate
I'm a huge fan of anonymity on the internet, hence why I don't use my call sign as a user name, or email for anything on the internet. Not worried about the local numb nut thief knowing that I'm not home; I've got automated & professionally monitored systems for the common burglar which will certainly not end well for anyone who attempts to break into my home for the purposes of theft if I'm away... Keeping my call sign separate from my online existence is more for basic privacy & a hurdle for the common simpleton who irrationally takes personal offense for something I post that they strongly disagree with. Lots of insecure & emotionally programmed folks on the internet who's only validation in life is bringing harm & hurt to those who unintentionally hurt their fragile ego by simply stating a differing valid viewpoint. Low quality people tend to dwell on seeking vengeance against those who made them feel stupid in front of others, as low quality people always depend upon collective validation / popularity for validity of self. Doxing & harassment is a real threat for those who openly disagree with trendy collectivist "hive mind" theology...

The folks who hear my call sign on the airwaves, don't hear my opinions on matters that they may disagree with on the airwaves, as it's certainly not the medium to have these types of conversations & debates... The risk of someone on the airwaves looking up my callsign & seeing where I live, is as dangerous as my name & address being in the yellow pages back in the day, and is easily looked up regardless of how hard one tries to hide where they live. Even with a PO box, it's not that hard to simply look up my call sign, see me full legal name, and do a few searches to see where my actual QTH is located, where I work, the patents I'm listed on which expose employment, social media accounts, loans, assets, etc... If someone really wants to burglarize my home to steal all of my radios, they will do so regardless of hurdles put into place in hiding my identity... However, they better bring their absolute best A-game, as the odds are definitely not in their favor ;)

sandhya

Premium Subscriber
thanks guys, I just see this as a first world modern day problem compared to the 1950s and 1960s. I mean the fact we are still having to educate our seniors and a few unsuspecting younger persons to not hand over their credit cards to someone saying "you owe the IRS and the cops are coming unless you pay us" is still telling that we have innocent folks who maybe on the hit from less innocent folks. Modern day probs are far more different than stuff that happened 60 or 70 years ago. I just like to see safety kept relevant. Thanks for all the input.

sandhya

Premium Subscriber
Not sure why it would be any different now. So, I'm a ham radio operator. I've got a few radios at my house. None of them are really worth that much to anyone.
Thieves are much more likely to break into a house and go after the TV, jewelry, etc. I doubt that some radio equipment is going to be worth the effort.

But, using a PO box and a Google Voice phone number, it's pretty easy to keep the risk low.
Personally, there are a lot of security risks that concern me, my amateur license isn't one of them.
see your profile, are you current, reserve or auxiliary? sorry to go off topic

Status
Not open for further replies.