HAM radio safety topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firekite

The worst case scenario is that they broke in randomly and saw blindly things and took them only to toss them out later when they realized they were of no value to them.
they steal stuff all the time that has no value. ... They will take it first then find out later what it is or isn't worth.
Thank you for agreeing with me, I guess? The point wasn’t that thieves don’t sometimes steal worthless junk they don’t realize at the time is worthless. It’s that none of them are hanging out monitoring the entire set of ham bands all day, ULS search tool at the ready, just in case they hear someone say they’re going to be away from their shack for a bit.

And even if you run out and get a PO box, your old address will still be in the ULS.
Oh? Do tell.

Who here would want their name and address easily searchable through a database or book from a vehicle plate number that any Joe Schmo can access?
Are you seriously trying to pretend those two concepts are equivalent? Everyone knows what a license plate is and can see it with their eyes. You ask them what they think a typical call sign is, and I’d they answered at all they’d probably just say Maverick or Ice Man.

I’m sure there are a few creepers out there somewhere. Somehow it doesn’t seem like it’s been a problem. Your name is not secret information. Your address is not secret information. The general public has no clue radio waves are passing by and through them constantly, and if you asked them what the ULS is they’d probably guess some eastern European soccer league. Even if some ham out there happens to see the antenna on your car and guesses that you’re one, too, what’s he going to do with that information? He has no idea if you’re on the air at the time. And he has numerous bands and modes to monitor just on the outside chance you might transmit at some point. He’s better off just following you home.

Get a grip, people. I’d be fine with the ULS search just returning a city name or zip code. But it doesn’t bother me in the slightest that it returns a mailing address.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It’s never a good idea to have your personal information easily accessible. Why should it be okay for me to monitor a woman telling her friend that she is all alone at home and instantly know where she lives via a call sign? Tell me that’s a good idea.
I have an idea. Don't tell 'em.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
And even if you run out and get a PO box, your old address will still be in the ULS.
Oh? Do tell.
  1. Go to the FCC ULS Search (https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchLicense.jsp).
  2. Search for my former callsign, W9RXR (you should get one record with the status of Cancelled).
  3. Click on that callsign record. You will see my current address.
  4. On my callsign record, click on the Admin tab.
  5. In the Applications section, click on All Applications.
  6. See the application on 01/23/2009 with the File Number 0003714108? That was an Administrative Update. Click on that record.
  7. On the administrative update record, click on the Trans Log tab.
  8. See the description of the transaction "Licensee / Applicant address changed". Keep looking to the right. You'll see my former address.

Yes, this is a lot of steps and it takes someone who knows their way around the ULS to get to the former address, but the point is that even if you get a PO Box, your former address will be in the ULS.

rapidcharger

Thank you for agreeing with me, I guess? The point wasn’t that thieves don’t sometimes steal worthless junk they don’t realize at the time is worthless. It’s that none of them are hanging out monitoring the entire set of ham bands all day,

I don't want the thread to veer off topic and get locked over the following comment but this was precisely the rationale (publicly anyway) for police departments to conceal their radio traffic. Because theoretical bad guys were listening to scanners and using that as a tool to carry out crimes without being caught in the act. While I wasn't in favor of what happened, it always seemed like a plausible reason to me. One might call it paranoia.... I like to call it a state of heightened awareness. (y);)

And W9BU did a through job of explaining where to find old addressess in the ULS. I also found the ae7q website to make it easier to find the application and modification histories. It also seems to be up a lot more than the ULS is lately.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
One might call it paranoia.... I like to call it a state of heightened awareness. (y);)

"When everyone is out to get you, paranoia is just good thinking." Dr. Johnny Fever.

I've heard the same arguments against having call sign license plates. I used to have them, got rid of them.
While I don't feel like I'm paranoid, I also don't believe in putting a bunch of information out there that doesn't need to be, or isn't required to be, in public hands.
What's under my control I protect. What isn't, I don't lose too much sleep over.

Marine_Cotporal

Simplex Kid
Thank you for agreeing with me, I guess? The point wasn’t that thieves don’t sometimes steal worthless junk they don’t realize at the time is worthless. It’s that none of them are hanging out monitoring the entire set of ham bands all day, ULS search tool at the ready, just in case they hear someone say they’re going to be away from their shack for a bit.

Oh? Do tell.

Are you seriously trying to pretend those two concepts are equivalent? Everyone knows what a license plate is and can see it with their eyes. You ask them what they think a typical call sign is, and I’d they answered at all they’d probably just say Maverick or Ice Man.

I’m sure there are a few creepers out there somewhere. Somehow it doesn’t seem like it’s been a problem. Your name is not secret information. Your address is not secret information. The general public has no clue radio waves are passing by and through them constantly, and if you asked them what the ULS is they’d probably guess some eastern European soccer league. Even if some ham out there happens to see the antenna on your car and guesses that you’re one, too, what’s he going to do with that information? He has no idea if you’re on the air at the time. And he has numerous bands and modes to monitor just on the outside chance you might transmit at some point. He’s better off just following you home.

Get a grip, people. I’d be fine with the ULS search just returning a city name or zip code. But it doesn’t bother me in the slightest that it returns a mailing address.
Doesn’t bother you. Great. That still doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.

bharvey2

I have an idea. Don't tell 'em.

"Words of wisdom". It's better to make a habit of limiting the discussion of "sensitive" information in general. This doesn't just apply to "over the air" There are some things I discuss only in the presence of trusted individuals and behind closed doors.

sandhya

Premium Subscriber
fantastic responses. And I am very cool with all of them, you actually get to learn more about folks by asking these simple questions and its interesting to see all the repsonses and to see how much we think alike more than not. Its good to see at least communication.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber

Oh? Do tell.

Agree, I you want to be invisible, you should no be a ham--wrong hobby, and if you are that paranoid, you better never put an antenna on your verhicle or home-wrong hobby. If you do not want to be available to assist people in need of help, wrong hobby. Too many people today think the world only is about them. As mentioned before, here in VA, one pays just $1 extra to get their callsign on their plate (vanity plates cost much more) primarily so that it identifies them as available to assist.

Status
Not open for further replies.