Ham Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kmfken

Where do I need to go to get started in amature radio?...I live in Gladstone, Oregon...Any suggestions are appreciated....THX Ken

Baker845

If you like to get started in ham radio best Place to go would be Ham radio outlet in Tigard. They have Technician book you need to pass your test to get you Technician License. They can probley also help you with were you can take your test when you ready. Most all ham clubs have exam Sessions once month.

n5ims

You could try here --> ARRLWeb: ARRL Home Page <-- for a start. They are the US amateur radio's national organization. They have books available to study for the test as many more ham radio related services.

Also try any local ham radio club (here are a few in Oregon to help you get started Oregon : Ham Radio: Clubs: North America: USA: Oregon

Other links that may be useful are:
W5YI : Resources for Amateur & Commercial Radio
QRZ.COM QRZ Ham Radio Practice Tests
AA9PW FCC Exam Practice » Amateur Radio Exam Practice

ac7nu

Get the book called "Now your talking" It's the best book to study. Then use the practice tests on QRZ.COM Callsign Database untill your ready for the real thing. There are several places to take your test around town, I am a VE for the test classes held every other Sunday at RoundTable Pizza in Sw PDX and I recommend you go there.

SE ham radio training available

I asked Janet, WB7FJC, for information on ham radio class opportunities in the SE Metro area. Here is her response:

"There is a class scheduled for Apr. 9 and 10 at a LDS Church in Oregon City. The phone number is 503-657-4203, sorry I didn't get a name. There will be testing on the 10 at that location."

73's!

More south Portland amateur radio classes

(moderator: feel free to move this to a more amateur radio-centric forum if deemed the best action)
(BTW the volunteer examiners are only permitted to charge the fee that the FCC charges for processing; the VE's are just that--non-paid volunteers)

Local publicly-spirited amateurs are offering two-day classes, free, with the only charge $12 for the Federal Communication Commission to receive the exam result. Pass the test, and you've got the first of three amateur licenses; and there's no Morse code on any exam. That 'Technician' license lets you use full power on any VHF or higher amateur frequency from 50 MHz on up.

The format and times will be the same, one week apart..

Friday evening runs from 6:00 PM to 9:30 PM (perhaps only 9:00 PM, depending on questions posed in the class). Saturday runs from 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM; a (BYO) brown-bag lunch break for questions and review, with testing at about 2:00 PM.

Two churches have donated their facilities for these April sessions:
April 9-10 in Oregon City, at the LDS Church, 15344 S Henrici Rd
April 16-17 in Tigard, at the LDS Church, 15555 SW 98th Ave
--
73s/Best regards de John Bartley K7AAY CN85qj PDX USNG: 10T ER 3007628876 (NAD 83) tel. 503-BAR-TLEY or 503-343-9399

Status
Not open for further replies.