Ham radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSmith3

Hi,
I've been studying for my Technician class license. I'm shopping for a radio, and I can't find a site with a decent comparison chart. I want to see all of the radios layed out side by side so that I can determine the ones with:
1. Multiband type
2. Power (watts) in the HF/VHF/UHF range
3. Modes of operation
4. SWR or Watt meter built in...
5. etc...

Do any of you know a good comparison shopping site?

ANY RADIO RECOMMENDATONS?
I big watts in the VHF/UHF spectrum with muti-mode capability too. Price preferably under 400.

nexus

http://www.advancedspecialties.net/comparison.htm
http://www.aesham.com/compare.html

Here ya go... Found it by using http://www.google.com and just typed in ham radio comparison.

BTW, I recommend http://www.universal-radio.com/ http://www.texastowers.com and http://www.aaradio.com/

I've bought from those dealers before and they have outstanding prices, good service, and some times free shipping
not to mention no sales tax.

I have the Yaesu FT-60r dual-band HT and its a solid radio. I like it a lot. For mobile, I have the Yaesu FT-8900R quad
band, 10meter,6meter,2meter,70centimeter radio, but if you want just a dualband the FT-8800R or 7100R are great
too. I use to be a diehard kenwood fan, but yaesu has been turning out some good products and I kind of moved over
to their product line. I still have some kenwood mobiles, ht's and the HF is kenwood. But my primary is Yaesu. None have
an SWR meter to my knowledge (speaking of monoband/dualband VHF/UHF gear) So you can pretty much eleminate that
from your specs. MOST mobiles are going to be 50 watts high power on 2 meter, 35 watts high power on 70 centimeter.
There might be one or two that has 75 watts but 50/35 is usually the standard. Handhelds will be 5 watts high power for
the most part. I think at one time Icom made one that was 7 watts back in the early 90's. But most of them are 5 watts.

If you want more than 50 watts (can't figure out why you would though) you'll need to buy an external RF amplifier. More
than 50 watts is not advisable when mobile though.

Last edited:

DSmith3

Hey guys,
Just now checking back, so sorry for not responding sooner.

Thanks!! Great information from you both, and I truly appreciate the input.

I'm definetly leaning towards the Yaesu.

hsdtech

Well if you want HF/VHF/UHF for $400 or under you will most likely have to buy used. The Icom 706 is always a good choice.
By the way in case you might be interested, I am looking to sell my Icom IC-820H VHF/UHF Dual Band All Mode SAT Base Rig. Excellent working condition. PM me if your interested. I may put it on ebay soon.

-Bill

gcgrotz

I have a Yaesu FT100 and I love it. Bang it around in the truck all day. Mostly monitor local RR freq and Potomac Approach on 132.850. Once in a while it gets on ham bands, I've contested with it on HF, used for SWL in the car. It doesn't get in the house much anymore.

But yes, do spend a lot of time on eHam. Just keep in mind that often the people inspired to write a review are ticked off about something... your mileage may vary.

Yokoshibu

I have a ft-8100 ft-51r ft-60r and kenwood tk-760hgk2 ... almost love them all... now I just need an icom 7000

grem467

whatever you do, stay FAR away from the IC-706, that radio is a PITA to program or do the most basic tasks with.

HIGHLY recommend the FT-857D!

DSmith3

I keep hearing great things about the IC 7000 but it also comes with a nice price tag.

I was convinced I would be buying the FT-857D, but the more I used my scanner to monitor the Amateur Frequencies, and the local repeaters, the more I'm now leaning to a straight forward 2m, 70cm radio with the most gadgets, and power I can find.

To answer the question about why I want more power. I sometimes travel and have found that if your in a rural area with many hills and few repeaters the extra power can help. It obviously doesn't solve the entire problem, but there isn't much more you can do other than having 1. a good radio and mike 2. Fantastic Antennae, and 3. As much power as possible. That helps.....

prcguy

The 706 MKII series is a very mature design and there is no reason to stay away from it. I currently own a 706MKII, a 706MKII G, an FT-857 and the identical radio in a larger case, the FT-897. After much comparison, my opinion is the 706MKII is a better radio than the FT-857/897 and the DSP works better too. The only thing the FT-857 does better is it draws about 600ma on receive and the 706 series draws closer to 2A, something to consider if battery operation is planned. I have a spare 706MKII I might sell in the low $400 range if someone is interested.
prcguy
grem467 said:
whatever you do, stay FAR away from the IC-706, that radio is a PITA to program or do the most basic tasks with.

HIGHLY recommend the FT-857D!

ReceiverBeaver

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Yep. All Icom here and have a 746 for the base. Even ran one of them mobile for more than a year. If you need to whine about a 706 being hard to program or use then perhaps you'd be more comfortable with a Cobra 29....yak yak yak

grem467

im hardly a novice when it comes to radio equipment there buddy, and that is my honest opinion of that radio.

Why do you have to be so rude because my opinion of the 706 was less than any other radios i have owned? Your "cobra 29" BS comment was uncalled for.

ReceiverBeaver

Banned
Uh.....yeah. So you have an opinion? That's nice. I gave my opinion. And the Cobra 29 comment was funny but you didn't get the joke. Lighten up comrade.

kb2vxa

Banned
Hi Grem, Beaver et al,

If you guys can settle on a parking lot and tell me when I can sell tickets. Don King will be pleased to promote the fight, only it'll have to be on public access, you guys are not top name contenders.

Oh Beav, Vince McMahon expressed an interest in your avatar but he's not too keen on kids' parties in Romania.

bagmouse7

Premium Subscriber
ReceiverBeaver said:
Uh.....yeah. So you have an opinion? That's nice. I gave my opinion. And the Cobra 29 comment was funny but you didn't get the joke. Lighten up comrade.

Funny banter and I don't think either side is too serious.
The Cobra 29 comment was pretty funny, but not as funny as running a 746 mobile!!!

Icom vs Yaesu, Jews vs Muslims (or these days, The Pope vs Muslums) the battle is never settled.
At least we aren't blowing each other up over radios (yet)....

gcgrotz

Nobody mentioned any Kenwood products...

I agonized over '706 vs Ft100 years ago. I went with the FT100 because the receiver had more frequencies. Isn't that what is all about, more bigger badder?

Status
Not open for further replies.