ham repeater listings

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Apart from the Skywarn listings, no, AFAIK. There are many sites - such as the ARTSCI website - where you can find such listings. Probably better would be to do a generic search for the cooridination group (most areas have at least 1) in your area. 73 Mike

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Probably better would be to do a generic search for the cooridination group (most areas have at least 1) in your area. 73 Mike

I suggest doing a google search as there are many websites with mostly the same data (a lot is outdated though).

As for his areas coordination group, that would be http://www.sera.org/ and they only have the listing in their magazine (gotta get the revenue from somewhere :lol:) YOu can still be a member for $10 a year right now, and that gets the four issues a year. I just got my last one Saturday....

macdude22

Premium Subscriber
I'm a new ham (just got the ticket month or so ago) but I had good luck with the ARRL repeater directory book on my trip to vegas from Iowa.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Congrats on the new Ham ticket there, ni8ce to have more faces in the hobby. Best bet IMHO is to go with the ARRL directory, it`s usually updated each year or mabey even more often. Good luck and 73 DE N9NRA

SCPD

QRT
On the ARRL website (American Radio Relay League) you will find this page giving you links to the frequency coordination group in each state. Many of these groups have a website. That website will list the current frequency coordination of each repeater and the band plan for that local area. These websites will often have more current information than the ARRL Repeater Directory does. Of particular importance is the band plans listed for local areas, which can be quite different than the band plans shown in the Repeater Directory. For example a simplex frequency used in Kansas might be a repeater input in southern California.

When I program my ham radios I use both the directory and the links on the page I will link to below.

http://www.arrl.org/nfcc/coordinators.htm

Some states don't have a link to a website and for those areas you will have to rely on the ARRL's Repeater Directory only. Unfortunately many repeater owners don't really care if the listing is very accurate and there can be some listings showing repeaters that have not been in service for many years.

Last edited:

stevolene

thanks, but there are no actual repeater freq listings on these sites, Ill grab a new copy of the arrl repeater book.........all the googled sites Ive found are out of date

ka5lqj

Ham Repeater Directory's, HA HA HA!

Hi!

It has been MY *experience* that I find MOST ham repeater directory's out-of-date and highly inaccurate. Most repeater trustee's don't bother to notify either the ARRL or ARTSCI Publishing about any changes. In some, you have to be some "official" with that repeater to report it having changed QTH's, Callsigns, Frequency's or even having shut down completely.

Example: They still show the 147.09 (+) & 444.5 (+) repeaters in Blanchard, LA. Those repeaters were dismantled, moved to the top floor (mechanical room) of the Willis-Knighton Pierremont Hospital in Shreveport, LA. The 147.09 repeater was re-crystalled for operation on 145.41 (-). The 147.15 repeater (WB5ORJ) was taken down, upon James going silent key and was given to the Bossier City Marshal's office for use as a Emergency/Disaster, ARES & RACES ham repeater. (K5BMO) Both the Longview and Overton, TX 6 meter repeaters have ceased operation, have been taken down and sold.

So, a Repeater Guide is absolutely no good as a up-to-date directory. Even the F.C.C. database is lacking in accuracy as some agencies have ceased operation of their low-band, vhf hi-band and even uhf lo-band operations for either entry into a trunked system(800 & now 700 mhz), with other users, or have gone to cell 'phone.

Now, having said that. I find that Radio Reference is very up-to-date, because of the subscriber's letting the under-paid, over-worked, volunteer Admin's know who's done what and how accurate they were in reporting the changes. ;-)

With my "challanges", I can't volunteer to become a ham database admin. Keeping up with the ever-changing data would be overwhelming my brain and I would "crash", instead of the computer. :-( Maybe one day, Lindsay and others will decide to all such a database or even a forum for such, like the different monitoring venues. Personally, I'd like to see a forum for all venues, ELF, ULF, VLF, LF, HF, VHF, UHF, EHF and a "Utilities" (between 2.0 and 30 mhz) for Point-to-Point and other services. You couldn't *report* what they said, but you could give the frequency, call, time of reception and a general idea of what "traffic" they passed..."WGJ", Memphis, comes to mind, LOL!

With the present World situation, we should be careful to report what we do, as we have folks who don't like AMERICANS, even though they don't REALLY know us, individually, that wish to harm our children, grandchildren, elderly, disabled and us. It's all too easy to hit a few keys and collect ALL the information one might want to take out a radio system or severely cripple it. Not all the 'nutz' are on the trees, a FALL example, if it ever gets here, ROFL!

Well, wife says SHE wants HER computer, LOL!

Blessings,

Don/KA5LQJ

EM-32
29.450 FM simplex

Last edited:

ka5lqj

Ohh, I almost "forgot"...

Per a VERY HIGH in rank source:

The Bossier Parish Sheriff's office has abandoned ALL lo-band (39.5), vhf hi-band, and uhf lo-band
operations. They are strictly an 800 mhz trunked, network with only the highly sensitive messages
being digital (APCO-25, I believe). They do not "plan" to join the LATIE network anytime soon.

Respectfully,

Don/KA5LQJ

rescuecomm

Googling the area radio clubs will help. I went to Myrtle Beach SC with the ARRL handbook data only to find Horry County hams had decided to go to a common PL (85.4?). So only one repeater accessable from my public safety HT's. I had found out at the last minute that the $18 each battery packs for the Icom F3/F4's from Ebay don't exactly fit the U82/V82. Duh!! So I was stuck with non-keyboard programmable radios in a strange radio land. I found the data I needed after I got back on the Myrtle Beach radio club site.

Bob

SCPD

QRT
thanks, but there are no actual repeater freq listings on these sites, Ill grab a new copy of the arrl repeater book.........all the googled sites Ive found are out of date

I see that is true for Tennessee. Here is an example of what is available for southern California on this link:

http://www.tasma.org/tasma_rptlist.htm

The situation is variable depending on the group that accomplishes frequency coordination in a particular state. As someone else mentioned, I use Google to locate local ham clubs and find some very good information on their websites. The entire process is rather tedious at times and writing a program for a particular area is very time consuming to say the least. After I've written it and loaded it into the radio I find that about 20% of the repeaters don't work when I actually get to that area. I also find unlisted repeaters when I'm in an area, some by running a search and some by asking local hams about the area's repeaters.

I would like to see more accurate information in region wide and nationwide directories but it does not seem to be a priority for many hams or the ARRL.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
It has been MY *experience* that I find MOST ham repeater directory's out-of-date and highly inaccurate. Most repeater trustee's don't bother to notify either the ARRL or ARTSCI Publishing about any changes. In some, you have to be some "official" with that repeater to report it having changed QTH's, Callsigns, Frequency's or even having shut down completely.
As a former Database Manager for the Indiana Repeater Council and as trustee for a repeater coordinated by the IRC, I can only speak for how things are done in Indiana.

The listings published in the ARRL Repeater Directory and used by their TravelPlus computerized repeater database are, in most cases, provided by the repeater coordination groups. The coordinators get their information from the repeater trustees. As a trustee, I don't want just anybody changing the published information for my repeater and I have some confidence that the IRC will only accept changes from myself or one of the co-owners of my repeater.

I don't know where ARTSCI gets their data nor do I know how they verify that data. In other words, I wouldn't trust it.

However, as you state, many repeater trustees are lax in reporting changes to their coordinating bodies. I know of one repeater in Indiana that has been listed in the ARRL Repeater Director with the wrong location and wrong callsign for about 5 years because the trustee hasn't filed an update with the IRC.

Having said all that, the ARRL Repeater Director or databases direct from the coordinators are generally the best data available.

Even the F.C.C. database is lacking in accuracy as some agencies have ceased operation of their low-band, vhf hi-band and even uhf lo-band operations for either entry into a trunked system(800 & now 700 mhz), with other users, or have gone to cell 'phone.
Not sure what this has to do with listings of amateur radio repeaters.

aaron315

I have had reasonable success by looking up (Google) the Skywarn group for a given area, and using their repeater lists.

Typically they are up to date, and usually they are on the more active repeaters in an area.

I got the TravelPlus CD-ROM with BONUS Repeater Directory has a gift from a relative. I have not taken a trip where I needed to use it yet, so I am not sure how up-to-date it is.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I got the TravelPlus CD-ROM...I am not sure how up-to-date it is.
It's the same data that's in the ARRL Repeater Directory for the year of publication. The people who develop TravelPlus have access to the ARRL repeater database.

KB9NLL

New London (Outagamie Co. WI) & Readfield (waupa

Worked fine for me. I clicked on the link and it took me right there:
Wisconsin
Wisconsin Association of Repeaters
www.wi-repeaters.org

I didn't check the others thought.

This one is up to date. If the repeater owners don't respond or update they delete the listing. And each listing (repeater) has a date when it was updated. I did notice some missing some of which cannot be found anywhere though. I guess the owner wants to keep it a secret aka closed repeater (private). And it was my understanding that ARRL gets it's info from Wisconsin Association of Repeaters for wisconsin anyways I figure get it straight from the horses mouth so to speak. I do check other listings from time to time just in case and have gotten the directories in the past. Also repeater group websites have good info sometimes including their official simplex frequencies that they use.

:cool:

kc4jgc

thanks for the replys, after a little more investigating I also found this site that seems to be very up to date on many repeater sites

http://rptr.amateur-radio.net/arn/rptr/index.html

BUT..... that site gets its info from ARTSCI. So, just as out of date. :(

It's start; you'll be fine with the Repeater Directory. I also encourage you to subscribe to SERA's Repeater Journal .

Status
Not open for further replies.