Ham repeaters in south florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbelter

I have been off the air for while, and lately I noticed that the airwaves are quite.
Has there been a move to DMR recently?
Thanks

hardt0303

I'm in Vero Beach area and noticed they are very quite around here also. The two Dstar repeaters never have a lot of traffic either. I don't have a DMR radio, but looking into getting one here pretty soon, hopefully it is a little more active.

I'm from Dayton, OH were the repeaters are very active, so moving down here it is a change.

blackbelter

Thanks for your response, I however have not even been hearing the 2m/440 on my 436 with DMR upgrade.

W4TF

I've been using the Motorola xpr6550 for many years and still recommend it. Now that it's been out for quite a while, I'm sure prices have dropped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tracker

Hmmm, I've never thought of monitoring HAM repeaters, but now that I can no longer monitor Miami Dade PD with my updated GRE PSR-800, I'd like HAM.....
How would I go about programming these channels/frequencies into my PDR-800?
Thanks

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
I have been off the air for while, and lately I noticed that the airwaves are quite.
Has there been a move to DMR recently?
Thanks

A number of UHF repeaters have made the move to DMR or became that way from the start. The VHF repeaters are just plain quiet. I scan most of the Palm Beach County and northern Broward repeaters and there is really no traffic on them at all.

South Fl is quite large, so what area are you specifically inquiring about?

blackbelter

The area would be south Palm Beach county. Would the VHF ham repeaters have also moved to DMR?

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Nope... some local VHF repeaters are capable of P25, but they also pass analog traffic. The repeaters are really quiet and have not moved to DMR.

CanesFan95

Hmmm, I've never thought of monitoring HAM repeaters, but now that I can no longer monitor Miami Dade PD with my updated GRE PSR-800, I'd like HAM.....
How would I go about programming these channels/frequencies into my PDR-800?
Thanks

Just program them as conventional frequencies in your EZ Scan software. Then assign them to a scan list. But honestly, the problem with ham radio stuff, is it keeps changing so much. Repeaters go up, they go down, they change modes, they change PLs, etc. You'll be frequently re-programming the radio. It might be easier just to do a band service search.

forkeye

Its Quiet ... too quiet ... only the jungle drums ....

Have always been an HF guy, on and off for many years. License lapsed, stuck with CB/11m as it was convenient, again on and off for 40 plus years.

So with the solar cycle at the bottom, and only the "loud and proud crowd" shouting out on 11m with a kw or more, its not easy to talk local with some guy in California, Louisiana or North Carolina stepping on everyone from anywhere from about 700 to 2000 miles away.

Got back into the HAM game, got my General and working on the Extra, etc.

With it being near-dead on 10m - 12m Can't afford an all-mode 20m rig so I decided to invest 25 bucks into a small Baofeng 2m hand held. Its the ultimate QRP about anything smaller would be a CW rig.

So far results are good. I'm hitting repeaters no problem using a twin lead J pole I put together hanging indoors. No problem using the Nagoya 771 whip I got from China for about 3 bucks. Honestly this is about the cheapest new rig I've ever seen. Well worth the money for a little toy that actually works. True you can do better but ... if you don't have cash to lay out for Alinco, Yaesu or any other brand, this will do for the moment.

But ... other than WBUG checking in for traffic network and general announcements every evening about 6 pm, I'm not getting much action on the repeaters. Simplex is active but you need some serious wattage to get out, so I'll build a ground plane for this unit and see if I can make it out further and maybe hear some simplex out there on 2m.

70cm seems dead. I've scanned it on short steps and nada.

The most contact I got was mobile on 10m when I parked in the middle of a saline dry lake area in the back country of Death Valley, and managed to pick up a station in Hong Kong transmitting off a high rise balcony there. They were trying to make contact with Australia and somehow we got about 3 minutes of chatter before the propagation dissipated. Did that with 60 watts of power.

And what the heck is Dstar? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.