W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
unknown said:
......I have to ask.

Are you an police officer?

Or just like to look like one?

heh

Yes, I am a police officer; Read one of my 1st initial posts before the pics I uploaded of my car (below)

Originally titled, "Ham 'N Swiss On Rye," ......

I'm planning on uploading some pix of my car. I personally don't want to be called a "whacker," (a term I never heard of before I joined this thread), but I am a full-time law enforcement officer, and belong to a car club where some of the members are public safety, ems, and fire personnel. Then again, there are several who are NOT government-employed, but enjoy building, restoring, and displaying all sorts of vehicles, from antique fire engines, ambulances, current and past police cars, and more.

enquote

Here's a pic about 10 years old (note the older-style CVPI). I don't look much like that anymore; Gray hair (what's left of it), and 2006 CVPI (not pictured).

Last edited:

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
WIll,

I'm all good with you being on the job...but...why have lights in your POV? Your rear lights are red, so that rules out volly FF/EMT or ESDA.

Antenna install looks OK from that CEVS pic, but black is the only way to go...ditch those chrome whips. What's hooked up to that lowband ball mount?

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
stateboy said:
WIll,

I'm all good with you being on the job...but...why have lights in your POV? Your rear lights are red, so that rules out volly FF/EMT or ESDA.

Antenna install looks OK from that CEVS pic, but black is the only way to go...ditch those chrome whips. What's hooked up to that lowband ball mount?

The CVPI was supposed to be a "special event" vehicle, i.e., parades, shows, exhibitions, etc. Due to serious financial obligations out of my control, I was forced to use my CVPI as a "daily driver." I belong to an organization of police, fire, and ems vehicle enthusiasts. Some of us are fortunate to exclusively display our vehicles for the reasons I explained above, as I wanted to originally. There are numerous car shows, throughout the summer where I display my car with my other friends and their vehicles. Any lighting that is exceptional from what the factory installed is disabled when the car is not on display. It isn't used for any official law enforcement duties, and it was never intended to be.

When I am in better shape, I am going to sell this vehicle and obtain a newer one. I will equip it with more modern equipment, as most of the electronics in my '94 CVPI are outdated. I had intended on doing this within the last year, but I wasn't able to.

The chrome ball / whip is for my Uniden 2600 AM/FM/SSB 10-11-12 meter ham and CB radio.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Use Of Cable Looming

I've seen some of the best radio installations since I've been part of this forum. Most scanner and radio enthusiasts seem to think their installations out, whether home or mobile, and put their knowledge to work. I have noticed that a few of the installs may look a little neater if the person used inexpensive cable loom. There are several types, many of which are available at Wal Mart, Target, Radio Shack, and many auto supply stores. It is so easy to use; you just place it next to your bundle of wires, "click it" in place, and dress up the end(s) with black electrical tape, and you have an A1 looking (and working) installation. They even make the kind that you can "wind around" wires, making the drop very neat. It's not difficult to remove the loom, even if you've got one wire or cable to take out of the mix.

I've attached a few styles of plastic looming to this message. I learn something new every time I view someone else's install, and hope that I can apply this knowledge to my system(s) and friend(s) for future jobs.

I'm not sure what the yellow arrows are pointing to in the large vertical photo; I found them on a site that uses a lot of loom in applications.

Last edited:

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Wife's 1996 Chevy Lumina Install (Part 1)

I took some pics today of our white '96 Lumina.

The install was performed by a professional radio tech (I watched!). Right now you can see a Radio Shack Pro-2067 trunk-tracker, and a Motorola UHF Maxtrac with MDC signalling, paging, and encoding. I'm planning on getting a BCT-15 for my CVPI, and will put my BC780XLT in the Lumina to replace the 2067. The Radio Shack speaker mounted on the center console is for the scanner. The sound is highly improved where it's mounted. I placed a Pro-83 in the dashboard "grip-mount," however Carol normally puts her cell phone there when she's driving.

There's a UHF quarter-wave on the right side trunk lid, and a combination UHF/VHF whip which works fantastic on all frequencies 30 to 900 Mhz on the left side on a trunk lid mount.

The three on-glass antenna whips on the rear window were removed, however I haven't taken the mounts down yet.

Last edited:

car2back

I love the antenna setup! Looks like you can't see the display on the 2067 though :( . deffinantly a good install though!

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
phil_smith said:
I love the antenna setup! Looks like you can't see the display on the 2067 though :( . deffinantly a good install though!

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, the display on the Pro-2067 is slightly difficult to read, but it'll be replaced by my BC780XLT in short order which has a very distinct readout!

Last edited:

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
GrayWolfSA58 said:
what kind of ham rig is that????????

From the original message: "....and a Motorola UHF Maxtrac with MDC signalling, paging, and encoding."

There are a myriad of Motorola Maxtrac's out there; This one is about ten years old, but has been in several of my cars, as a spare on the base, etc. They come in all sorts of "flavors," but this one does all sorts of signalling including MDC1200 single and dual-tone paging, has 32 channels, and puts out about 40 watts. Only downside is that you have to program it with an older (laptop) computer on Motorola proprietary software, and it can't be one with very high speed computer (over something like 500 Mhz), or it just won't work. Once you get past those restrictions, you can customize the radio to your heart's content.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
That's a "proper" setup? Standards must have changed...

I hope that 9C3 Lumina install was done pro bono, since it should have taken all of 10 minutes to mount that scanner bracket and speaker. I also see that the power wiring is sloppy and unprofessional looking. Did they charge extra for the Velcro on the maxtrac?

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
stateboy said:
That's a "proper" setup? Standards must have changed...

I hope that 9C3 Lumina install was done pro bono, since it should have taken all of 10 minutes to mount that scanner bracket and speaker. I also see that the power wiring is sloppy and unprofessional looking. Did they charge extra for the Velcro on the maxtrac?

Thank you for your critical analysis, and conservative insight. Next time I have work to be done on my car(s), I'll make sure you're informed so you can inspect it thoroughly. It's so nice when I get replies like yours.

Let's do lunch. Have your secretary call mine. Make sure you have nice day, Bub.

Status
Not open for further replies.